Skytec starter 149-12LS - my stupidity is your gain -SOLD

DXB

This model is a $379 new item on Spruce and was working fine when removed at my recent annual. I'm selling for $160 + ship.  This is the super light weight (7.8lb) version.  Why did I remove it?  My logs and W&B only indicated that I had an 18lb Prestolite starter, last overhauled in 1998.  The part number of this starter was not visible under my baffling.  I "upgraded" to a B&C starter to save weight and promote future reliability, only to find I had this much newer Skytec installed upon removal.  I've no idea when it was actually installed since no log entry was made, but my new top of the line B&C starter doesn't really seem to crank any stronger than this Skytec did.

image.thumb.png.62ebbfbba838ddd7f4d73da460e3cc86.png

That's a bummer Dev. I can't imagine why an upgrade would be left out of the logs unless the owner did it without supervision. A quick call to Skytec should get you the mfg date. I'd take it but I already have one installed. Any idea why it has what appears to be RTV globes all over it?

Edited by Shadrach

This model is a $379 new item on Spruce and was working fine when removed at my recent annual. I'm selling for $160 + ship.  This is the super light weight (7.8lb) version.  Why did I remove it?  My logs and W&B only indicated that I had an 18lb Prestolite starter, last overhauled in 1998.  The part number of this starter was not visible under my baffling.  I "upgraded" to a B&C starter to save weight and promote future reliability, only to find I had this much newer Skytec installed upon removal.  I've no idea when it was actually installed since no log entry was made, but my new top of the line B&C starter doesn't really seem to crank any stronger than this Skytec did.
image.thumb.png.62ebbfbba838ddd7f4d73da460e3cc86.png
PM sent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 11/15/2017 at 7:06 AM, Shadrach said:

That's a bummer Dev. I can't imagine why an upgrade would be left out of the logs unless the owner did it without supervision. A quick call to Skytec should get you the mfg date. I'd take it but I already have one installed. Any idea why it has what appears to be RTV globes all over it?

Yeah super weird - last owner was an A&P too. He also apparently didn't care much for baffle seals - he just left a gaping jagged hole around it after replacing.  You can't imagine physical contortion and mess it took for me to get that pictured glob of RTV to seal on the prop side of the starter without dropping the bottom cowl.

It just goes to show there's never any certainty with a plane that hasn't been under your constant supervision, regardless of what the logs say.