Any ex Grumman Tiger drivers here?

seregin

Looking for pilots who went from Grumman Tiger to M20-J and willing to share their experience.

Any issues worth noting?

Were you satisfied with expected performance improvement?

Have you noticed increased maintenance costs?

How about look and feel? Different seating positing, visibility etc?

Many thanks in advance!

Flew a Tiger for a couple of years and loved it. Stepped up to a K not a J. Major differences were:

- heavier controls not as nice and easy as in the Tiger

- a lot more stable in turbulence and during approaches

- Tiger is more a low altitude airplane

- Visibility and cabin access in the Tiger is much better

- much better grass field capability (Tiger)

- Performance improvements were significant 

- higher maintenance costs although the Mooney is not so bad

Hope that helps

• Like 2

Flew a Tiger for a couple of years and loved it. Stepped up to a K not a J. Major differences were:
- heavier controls not as nice and easy as in the Tiger
- a lot more stable in turbulence and during approaches
- Tiger is more a low altitude airplane
- Visibility and cabin access in the Tiger is much better
- much better grass field capability (Tiger)
- Performance improvements were significant 
- higher maintenance costs although the Mooney is not so bad
Hope that helps

Got it- thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't have an AA5B but I did have an AA1B that I still love to have in the back of my hangar...I haven't found the move to a J to be difficult from an maintenance perspective.  My only problem is wanting to do upgrades all of the time!  Come on over to a J...I think you'll love it. 

Where are you based?  I'd be happy to show you 79H if you are anywhere close.

-Kris

I flew a Tiger for a while before buying my J (now in an Ovation 3), and although I enjoyed flying the Tiger (a fun, responsive plane to fly), I don't think there is any comparison to the J in terms of cross-country flying.  The J is faster and a more stable and capable IFR platform.  Although there were a couple of G1000 Tigers built right at the end of production, most Tigers are not well equipped.

In terms of transitioning from a Tiger to a J, I don't think that is much of an issue.  Get GUMPS down and you should be fine.     

• Like 1

I owned a Grumman Tiger a couple of years from 1988 -1990.  It was no Mooney but I enjoyed it. You had to get used to being on the brakes during taxi (caster on the nose wheel). Once you got it down you could turn on a dime. It was easy to fly. Coming out of a 172 I liked the fact that it was 15 knots faster on the same fuel flow. (135 knots cruise). Ironically I lived in North Dakota at the time and used to order parts from Fletchair in Houston. Now Fletchair is on the same field as me at Silver Wings in Fredericksburg TX. I see Grummans, especially Tigers, coming and going every day. For what they were back then I think most were very well equipped compared to the typical 172 - most had Nav 122's which was an all-in-one VOR head/ILS/tuner. Mine had a Century IIB autopilot, Loran, DME. I have fond memories of the Tiger. I flew it from ND to TX a couple times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in 1978, mt first CFI job was with ERAU in Prescott where we used Grumman AA5-B's for primary training.  Great primary training aircraft.  Was able to function well at high DA airports, and carry 3 people with fuel.  Now they have C-172-SP for primary training.  Too bad they quit making the Tiger, much better performance than Cessnas and Pipers in the same class.  If I wanted a fixed gear/fixed prop aircraft, this would be the first choice. 

I see your photo is a Yak-52.  I also fly a Nanchang CJ-6.  You in RPA?  

• Like 2

I flew a AA5B for the last 7 years and recently bought a Bravo.  I'll echo all of Emmet's comments and add:

1) Ground handling characteristics were the biggest challenge.  Going from differential braking where you could turn the Tiger on a dime to the Mooney has been a slow process.

2) Constant trimming in the Bravo.  In the Tiger you could get away from just muscling-through different stages of flight, in the Mooney you absolutely must trim the aircraft to maintain reasonable control.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad they quit making the Tiger, much better performance than Cessnas and Pipers in the same class.  If I wanted a fixed gear/fixed prop aircraft, this would be the first choice. 

Absolutely, these are awesome birds. And my Grumman experience helped me more than a decade later when I got a Mooney.

My first solo was an AA1B Yankee, the Tiger’s little sibling. The couple dozen hours in it ingrained great respect for airspeed and proper landing technique that were of special benefit when I took on the “hard to land” Mooney. Flying a Grumman prevented me from learning to just “drive it on” and drop the nose, as many trained on more forgiving brand C and P trainers did.

Plus that Grumman heritage, cool sliding canopy and roll response sure are nice.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Owned a 1979 Tiger for 5 years ~ 400 hours in it.  A dozen years ago.  You won't find too many bigger fans of the Grumman line, but I want/need a faster, better IFR platform for travel.  Am now thinking hard about a Mooney J/K.  Appreciate the comments in this thread.  Pity there aren't any sliding canopy Mooneys!  I have some concerns about overall complexity and workload.  How different would/will I find managing a turbo-charged variant in flight?  I did a good bit of IFR/IMC in my Tiger, but while not rock steady, it is frequently a 'set it, forget it' for a phase of flight on the engine.  Shifting to having to manage MP/RPM, cooling, turbo, etc...  is a bit of a question for me.  How busy is it?  Should I confine my search to normally aspirated models, or is it just a transition process and mental shift?  

FYI....

There is/are one or two Mooneys with a canopy...

They were built to compete for the USAF trainer business.

There are pictures around here somewhere...

As for how complex a Mooney is to fly..?  If you have a few hundred hours, even the most complex Mooney is not that complex.

As far as is it worth getting a TC'd Mooney with an intercooler and automated waste gate... more instrumentation and automation, the better...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

They are similar.  The Grumman's per POH is 1.7 nm per 1000 ft of altitude at best glide of 72 KIAS (pg. 3-4).  From the M20J, the best speed is a range dependent upon weight between 84-93 KIAS and from the chart I infer that it gets around 1.9 nm per 1000 ft (pg. 3-9) , so you go a tad further, but also go a bit quicker.  Maybe less time to plan a power off landing - or less time to be scared, depending on how you look at it!