It seems that there are very few used Ovations for sale these days

THill182

56 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Attempting to economically justify any airplane purchase for personal travel is doomed to failure.  I think trying to compare costs between different airframes is also a pointless exercise. You don't buy an airplane because its costs are lower. You buy it because it speaks to you in some way that others don't, and those are not all tangible things.  Some folks like the simplicity of fixed gear, and some like the low drag and looks of retractable.  Some folks like the security of a parachute, and some think it's the Pussification of the American Aviationscape!  Nobody wins these arguments.

But to get back to the original poster's thought, the fact is that there are very few Ovations on the market these days, which was not the case three years ago when I bought mine. And simple law of supply and demand would suggest that with less inventory, prices could go higher.  It all depends on how much people want to jump into the Mooney way of life. But again, no one should be buying an airplane hoping it will appreciate in value...rather, you buy it to appreciate ITS value to you!

Every time I try to justify my airplane on financial grounds, I end up optimizing a cost function that leads me to a 50cc vespa scooter.  Doh!

• Haha 2

...do you think there is a correlation with the factory re-start, WAAS upgrades, etc to the Ovation owner holding onto their planes?  Also, there is a huge step outside of something the performs equally and is equipped the same.  $250K gets you a solid Ovation GX but you would need another $200K to get a similar G36 Bo.  I can't think of any 175KT G1000 mid time engine airplanes in the $200K price range.  Acclaims are scarce too.

Russ

14 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I'm 6'4'' and 220#...the TBM fits me too. But the TBM930 fits me the best. Certainly better than the 850 or the dinky ol' 700.  The 910 is nice but I get carpal tunnel syndrome trying to manipulate the inferior avionics.  I wonder if I could get a doctor to write me a perscription for a TBM930?

Shouldnt be a problem, wasnt to difficult to get a Dr.'s OK to fly back from my trauma in one. Notice the TBM grin on my wife in the back. Step one, DONE!

5a0a0ac95a44d_TBMwchuckandalice.jpg.000e4e2bc1dbf93a80e726c4cc28f3f5.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mike_elliott said:

Shouldnt be a problem, wasnt to difficult to get a Dr.'s OK to fly back from my trauma in one. Notice the TBM grin on my wife in the back. Step one, DONE!

5a0a0ac95a44d_TBMwchuckandalice.jpg.000e4e2bc1dbf93a80e726c4cc28f3f5.jpg

Dang!  Now that's the TBM-smile I want!

Only time every SAT in a TBM was at KHVN where I went for business. And they have a dealer - and a brand new 910 was on the taramac - BRAND new with a shiny shiny engine, and the plastic still on the seats.  Dealer let me sit in it for 30 seconds and it smelled like a new car.

Then my wife called "Erik, ERIK!  Its time to go honey...."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Attempting to economically justify any airplane purchase for personal travel is doomed to failure.  

I economically justify the price of my Ovation every time I fly commercial and get strip electronically strip searched by the TSA then having to make a connecting flight in Chicago only to be delayed of the weather that happened six hours ago someplace else.  Time matters whether it is personal or business related.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Little Dipper said:

I economically justify the price of my Ovation every time I fly commercial and get strip electronically strip searched by the TSA then having to make a connecting flight in Chicago only to be delayed of the weather that happened six hours ago someplace else.  Time matters whether it is personal or business related.

That would be like the opposite of Mike's "I'm in a TBM" smile shown above.

I'm curious: what is your TKS fluid extra supply strategy like for a long XC trip like this? In 20 years of flying tks planes, I've never exhausted my supply but always carry extra when traveling many miles from home.

4 minutes ago, exM20K said:

I'm curious: what is your TKS fluid extra supply strategy like for a long XC trip like this? In 20 years of flying tks planes, I've never exhausted my supply but always carry extra when traveling many miles from home.

yep. That's it or only fly to airports that have it available for purchase.

10 hours ago, smccray said:

By the way- I offer the above hoping someone will show me the error of my thinking.  I want to be missing something on long body values.

FWIW a buddy has a <10 year old Cirrus and he routinely pays $15,000+ for annuals.   He has had a few things happen to the fiberglass body over the years, and it seems that each time the Cirrus factory has to do an engineering study to determine how to make the repair.  

I am a big fan of the 4130 "roll cage" and sheet metal aluminum.  I'll stick with Mooney.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, whiskytango said:

FWIW a buddy has a <10 year old Cirrus and he routinely pays $15,000+ for annuals.   He has had a few things happen to the fiberglass body over the years, and it seems that each time the Cirrus factory has to do an engineering study to determine how to make the repair.  

I am a big fan of the 4130 "roll cage" and sheet metal aluminum.  I'll stick with Mooney.  

That's the kind of anecdotal testimony I've seen several times. There's also an impression that insurance is much higher for equivalent hull and pilot qualifications .

OTOH, Clarence, who is a Certified shop for Cirrus and Mooney, I think, has stated, I think, that the Cirrus is not a maintenance hog.

If I were buying a composite aircraft those would be about the first 2 questions I'd want to run to ground. 

• Like 1

See if I have this right... we agree (more or less...)

1) factory built, aluminum clad, Mooneys are cool...

2) You get to choose what engine you like to afford...  

• O360 for guys that like carbs.
  • IO360s for guys who don't...
  • TSIO360s for those that like power at altitude...
  • IO550s for those that graduate from the O360 school of ownership....
  • TNIO550 for those who have reached the pinnacle of what Mooney has to offer.

3) Os are a modern version of the well loved older Mooneys...

4) Electronics don't last very long.  

• They are outdated in ten years.
  • Really outdated in twenty years.
  • super outdated in thirty years.
  • wicked outdated in forty years.

5) Niko needs to get to a Mooney fly-in.

• Lots Of Mooneys to see.
  • lots of food to fill out your frame!  6’+ & 150#? :)

6) An M20R with four 150 pounders aboard...

• has 400+ pounds of fuel and cargo
  • 66 gallons or so, with no cargo... @6 pounds per gallon...
  • 4+ hours of cruise @ 15 gallons per hour...
  • 680 or nms, not accounting for Climb fuel burn...

7) i did say, I like my Mooney, didn't I?

• 175# and 6’, If this data is helpful...

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

See if I have this right... we agree (more or less...)

1) factory built, aluminum clad, Mooneys are cool...

7) i did say, I like my Mooney, didn't I?

• 175# and 6’, If this data is helpful...

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

That is exactly my take. I looked from time to time to other options, but there are none, other than a Pilatus or TBM. I have 120gallons fuel, AC, and inadvertent TKS. I cannot use all of that with any passengers, but I can fly myself nonstop on 1500nm trips if I want (LOP at 12.4 GPH) or with passengers on shorter trips. I can fly at 20k ft in the flight levels, or usually at 12k ft where there is little traffic, at 175kts LOP and 12GPH. VERY hard to beat. .. 

I DO wish I had a parachute -- just in case.....

I DO wish the IO550G would get to TBO without any work ... 

• Like 1

I'm curious what Mooney would look like with a 6 seater. I seem to be the polar opposite of most pilots- my seats are almost always full. In fact, the the last 3 flights were the first few times I've flown solo in the past 150 hours.

As much as I think the O is the perfect modern Mooney, my next plane will likely be a Piper Lance. I do prefer Lycomings and the 1400# useful load and two baggage compartments are nice.

On 11/13/2017 at 2:51 PM, Niko182 said:

oops. forgot that i included the tbm. it was the most comfortable, and you can have it for a mere 4.2 million dollars.

LMAO that was funny.  I wandered why you didnt say anything about the TBM. Is that not the prettiest plane you have ever seen wow  my absolute favorite.  I have never played the lottery until i saw that plane.