Fluorosilicone Fuel Cap O-ring Kits

Message added by mooniac58

This is a paid for sponsored post.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, McMooney said:

how much are these, almost time for my annual

I'm selling quite a few kits for Shaw 431 and 531 type fuel caps for Mooney aircraft. Shaw 431/531 fuel cap kits are $11.50 each, which includes shipping. Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com when you're ready to order. Just let me know how many kits you want, shipping address, and preferred method of payment. I do PayPal, credit card, check, cash, Apple Pay, and other peer to peer lending.

James Gallagher

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, OSUAV8TER said:

I'm selling quite a few kits for Shaw 431 and 531 type fuel caps for Mooney aircraft. Shaw 431/531 fuel cap kits are $11.50 each, which includes shipping. Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com when you're ready to order. Just let me know how many kits you want, shipping address, and preferred method of payment. I do PayPal, credit card, check, cash, Apple Pay, and other peer to peer lending.

James Gallagher

I'm interested in Shaw 431 type kit.

I'll send you an email shortly.

Thank you.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, outermarker said:

Once the new O-rings are on, the Mooney service manual says to check the seal by applying no more than 0.5 lb of pressure at the fuel vent and use soapy water around the cap checking for bubbles. So, what has been used to apply pressure?

A tube...

Essentialy the cap is holding tight based on the over center cam pressing down against the seal... too loose it leaks.. too tight the cap is hard to close...

The difference is a turn or two of the nut holding the cap together...

1/2 psi is not a lot of pressure... if you blow a lung full of air into the tank vent, it probably leaked out... if you can only blow a cup of air into the vent and it comes back out at you, it probably didn’t leak...

Test dry first... no sense in adding soapy water to your fuel tanks if not ready...

PP thoughts only... not suggesting to skip the written procedure... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:54 PM, OSUAV8TER said:

I am offering highly durable fluorosilicone o-ring kits for your various fuel caps. Please PM me or respond to this thread with your interest to include type and quantity. I will PM you to get your shipping information and arrange payment.

These fluorosilicone o-rings offer superior durability to help your fuel caps keep the fuel in and to keep water out compared to your less superior rubber nitrate o-rings, which have to be replaced frequently. I will be offering kits for Shaw 531/431 caps, Shaw 416 caps, Shaw 457 caps, Gabb caps, and D’Shannon 15 gallon screw type fuel caps. Prices and contents are below. These prices also include shipping. CSOBeech has a great writeup on these o-rings at http://www.csobeech.com/fuel-caps.html. Installation is pretty straight forward but there is additional guidance on CSOBeech.
Kits provide standard aircraft parts acceptable under 14 CFR §21.9 for a FAA certificated mechanic to install two military specification fluorosilicone type o-rings on Shaw 531,457, 431,416, or Gabb style fuel caps. Kits are eligible for installation by a licensed mechanic as a minor alteration under 14 CFR §1.1 and §21.93(a) as it has “no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness” of the aircraft. No STC, Form 337 submittal or FSDO field approval is required per FAA Order 8900.1 Figure 4-67. A §43.9 airframe logbook entry is sufficient to document this alteration and return the aircraft to service. Fluorosilicone are a much more durable material and will last longer than original Buna-N (Nitrile) rings found in Shaw and Gabb fuel caps. Fluorosilicone can withstand a broader range (-100 to 350 degree Fahrenheit) whereas Buna-N has a lower temperature range (-70 to 180 degree Fahrenheit). The manufacturers of the fluorosilicone o-rings are ISO17025 certified. Fuel caps should be inspected for continued airworthiness per your respective aircraft repair manual.

I installed all new fluorosilicone o-rings on my four fuel tanks on my M35 Bonanza about a year ago and I have not had water in my tanks yet. My cousin left the Bonanza out on the ramp during monsoon season in Panama City Beach FL, this summer and water got into the static lines but nothing in the tanks! Not only were the old rubber nitrate breaking down on the big o-rings, the little ones were in poor shape too. 

Kits Available: The kit includes both the outer and the often overlooked inner plunger ring. If either are not working correctly, they can let water into your fuel tanks. Each kit also includes the correct cotter pins for the castle nut on the bottom of your fuel caps.

- Shaw 431/531 fuel cap kit - $11.50 each
o M25988/1-338 – big o-ring
o M25988/1-010 – small o-ring
o MS24665-298 – cotter pin

- Shaw 416 fuel cap kit - $11.50 each
o M25988/1-232 – big o-ring
o M25988/3-010 – small o-ring
o MS24665-132 – cotter pin

- Gabb fuel cap kit - $13.50 each
o M25988/1-339 – big o-ring
o M25988/1-110 – small o-ring
o MS24665-298 – cotter pin

- Shaw 457 fuel cap kit - $13.50 each (Will not fit the Shaw 457-370 fuel cap)
o M25988/1-338 – big o-ring
o M25988/1-110 – small o-ring

- D'Shannon 15 Gallon Screw Type Fuel Cap Kit - $8 Each
o 2x o-ring replacements per kit

Payment Details: I can take payment via PayPal, Popmoney, Square, or you can mail me a check. PM me for my mailing address for a check. PayPal handle is gallagher.394 at gmail.com and Popmoney is 419 357 0043.

Further Information: If you’re not sure of your fuel cap type, snap a photo of the top and bottom, and then email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com.

Shaw 431 531 Kit.jpg

IMG_6795 1.jpg

Shaw 416 Kit.jpg

Shaw 416.JPG

Gabb Kit.jpg

image1.JPG

IMG_6792 1.jpg

image2.JPG

Do you happen to have a kit for the newer style caps for folks who have bladders?  i.e. these:

Image result for fuel cap mooney bladder

I put these on a few months ago as I began planning for OSH knowing it's going to rain. It rained while I was there, not once, but twice. Everything in my tent was soaked, both times. I was a bit worried about water getting into fuel tanks. I was delighted when I took a fuel sample not to see even one drop of water in either tank. I even rocked the airplane a little and then took another fuel sample....nothing! Thanks so much for removing the worry!

3 hours ago, DXB said:

Do you happen to have a kit for the newer style caps for folks who have bladders?  i.e. these:

Image result for fuel cap mooney bladder

Hi DXB, unfortunately I don't. Could you PM me the part number and I'll look into it?

2 hours ago, outermarker said:

I put these on a few months ago as I began planning for OSH knowing it's going to rain. It rained while I was there, not once, but twice. Everything in my tent was soaked, both times. I was a bit worried about water getting into fuel tanks. I was delighted when I took a fuel sample not to see even one drop of water in either tank. I even rocked the airplane a little and then took another fuel sample....nothing! Thanks so much for removing the worry!

Good to know! The fluorosilicone rings are pretty tough. My cousin had my Bonanza down in the Florida panhandle and it monsooned everyday during the week it was there. It rained so much, water got into the static lines but nothing got into the fuel tank. Thanks for the PIREP!

7 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Good to know! The fluorosilicone rings are pretty tough. My cousin had my Bonanza down in the Florida panhandle and it monsooned everyday during the week it was there. It rained so much, water got into the static lines but nothing got into the fuel tank. Thanks for the PIREP!

Yep, I had the same thing happen at OSH this year.  I had waterless fuel tanks after the heavy rains at both Madison and Oshkosh.  I did however, end up with water in my static system.  I am very happy with these O-rings.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:09 PM, OSUAV8TER said:

Hi DXB, unfortunately I don't. Could you PM me the part number and I'll look into it?

It's this: https://www.newton-equipment.com/aero-400-filler-cap.html

Not sure if it's #48L or #49L from looking at my cap.  However the web site lists the same o-ring and o-ring overhaul kit for both

Good evening,

There is a possibility I might have shipped you the incorrect large oring for this kit. Your fuel cap should take a M25988-338 and I might have sent you a M25988-339, which goes on another fuel cap. I believe this happened back into June due to the calamity of my cross country move.

If your o-rings do not fit on your fuel cap, please email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com and I will send you the correct rings. I apologize for the inconvenience and I appreciate your understanding.

James

1 hour ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Good evening,

There is a possibility I might have shipped you the incorrect large oring for this kit. Your fuel cap should take a M25988-338 and I might have sent you a M25988-339, which goes on another fuel cap. I believe this happened back into June due to the calamity of my cross country move.

If your o-rings do not fit on your fuel cap, please email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com and I will send you the correct rings. I apologize for the inconvenience and I appreciate your understanding.

James

For further clarification, this is only for the Shaw 431 and 531 fuel cap kits. Prior to installation and disassembly of your fuel cap you should compare your large o-rings to each other. If they are different please contact me. It will be obvious if you try to install them and the big ring is too big for the fuel cap.

Spent several days last week parked in the daily thunderstorms on the Carolina coast. Some were strong enough that the house was shaking. The grass field was saturated enough on arrival that the far end almost bogged me down, I had full throttle (28") to barely move. Then we had more storms every day. When I left, there was nary a drop of water in either tank, but I did walk around the runway to make sure I could depart solo with no bags and half tanks.

Sure made me glad I put in your fine blue orings back in January!