Need recommendations for east coast trip

mschmuff

I'm planning a trip this winter from KFME (Baltimore, MD) to KSUA (Stuart/West Palm FL).

Are there any places that are "must sees" on the way down or back? 

Any airports to stop in, tour the area?

I'm looking at Myrtle, Charleston, Savannah.........I'm going for 3 weeks so plenty of time.  Will definitely bring the golf clubs with me.  Also considering hopping over to the Bahamas - anyone have experience with that?

You have 3 weeks so I would make the trek to Key West, they need the business too. We woke up one morning and flew from North Palm F45 straight to the coast, turned right and flew all the way to KEYW at 500ft and 1 mile off the coast. We had a great time on Duval but didn't have a reservation, so at 10pm we did Priceline and got the Hyatt Resort off Duval St for $88 that night instead of $300 plus.  That's the way we roll sometimes, but not practical if you have kids.  

Best trip we ever had !!!

Going down the coast to places I've been:

Myrtle- Both Grand Strand (KCRE) and MYR are easily accessible to downtown. If you plan on MYR, get there before or after 'lunch rush'. Approach had me hold for 10 minutes to find a spot to feed me into the airliners coming in. I still think I held one or two up. Self-serve fuel is decently priced and very pretty FBO.

Charleston- If you are thrify like me, Mount Pleasant (KLRO) is the cheapest of the three choices (full-service fuel only) and also the closest to the USS Yorktown (might can Uber, I had a friend in the area pick me up). You will need a full day to see the USS Yorktown. There is also a destroyer and submarine there. It was an amazing visit and I cannot wait to go back again.

Saint Simons Island (KSSI) has the best BBQ this side of the Mississippi. Its a 5-7 minute walk west of the airport. There's always a line and you will leave with a smile on your face. Just about 50% of their customers at any one point in time will be pilots. I've been there 3x in the past year alone.

A few miles south of KSSI is Jekyll Island (09J). It's a little more "peace and quiet" compared to the jet traffic into SSI. No fuel, but there is an electric golf-cart rental on field. I was there last week and there's no charge if you are borrowing one to ride into town for food. Good pizza place, Dairy Queen, one gas station, a great Mexican restaurant, and you can drive around the island in about an hour doing 25mph. Beaches are a hidden secret. Dark sand, very quiet surf. VERY low density unlike Jax beach (cars have to pay to get on the island, planes don't. Go figure). Very very pretty and a nice old stucco house from the 1750s from when the French first colonized Jekyll if you are a history buff.

30 mins south of that is Saint Augustine (KSGJ). Very historic downtown. I haven't flown in ($20/day tie down, and expensive fuel) but I've driven in recently and historic downtown is something else. Cobblestone streets wide enough for one carriage (now car), you can go bar hopping at night and have 20 different beers in an hour. Don't forget to visit the old fort (another 1700s relic).

Just south of that is Flagler Co (KFIN). Hijackers Cafe is very popular, and probably my favorite go-to eating spot in N. Fla. Class D, self-serve. Plenty of Riddle traffic in the pattern. The restaurant is on-field and decorated accordingly. Amazing food, too.

Next to Daytona International is world-famous Spruce Creek fly-in community (7FL6). The restaurant on the field is really nice and open to the public. When you park you have to call security and check in with your tail number. The food is really good, a few bucks more expensive than I'd like, but overall great. If you had to choose one versus the other, I'd go into FIN. If you're lucky, you'll see one of the few P-51s based there go up for a flight. Our own @Yooper Rocketman has a place there.

If you are still heading south at this time, climb above 6k if you can. Riddle planes will be all over like love bugs below 4k. Daytona Approach will be busy, but nothing crazy.

I haven't been farther south on the east coast than this, so good luck! If/when you are in the area, let us know. Florida is home to a lot of Mooney pilots, and I think like 6 on here alone. I'm sure one of us could probably meet if you've got time for lunch.

• Like 3

Maybe a silly question, but I've only followed the news. Is Key West and Marathon up and going with business as usual (as much as it can be considering)?. We were thinking about doing something different this year for Thanksgiving and thought about Key West. Didn't know how well the recovery had gone. Anybody been to either recently?

-Tom

4 minutes ago, TWinter said:

Maybe a silly question, but I've only followed the news. Is Key West and Marathon up and going with business as usual (as much as it can be considering)?. We were thinking about doing something different this year for Thanksgiving and thought about Key West. Didn't know how well the recovery had gone. Anybody been to either recently?

-Tom

Call ahead a check pricing. I've heard some people pay $20 a day, I've heard some get hit with $300. It seems hit and miss. Signature @ KEYW is one of the 5 places AOPA highlighted as price gouging pilots a few months back. I know a lot prefer to fly into Marathon and just get a rental. 

• Like 1

All of these places are pretty good.  I'll throw a second in for Jekyll and Jekyll Island Club.  It's a great place to overnight and has <almost> a Ritz Carlton feel.  Plus you can see the building/room where the Federal Reserve was dreamed up.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jekyll_Island

If you have a weekend free, hop up to Jack Brown in Orlando and get your seaplane rating.  Takes 2 days and was a ton of fun. http://brownsseaplane.com/

I haven't been there but I hear Everglades Airpark  http://www.airnav.com/airport/X01  has some interesting things to see.

-Kris

If your bringing your clubs stop in at 7FL6 Spruce Creek Fly-In been here for 10 yrs. great place, you can also have lunch or dinner in the club house.  Key West another must see. I would check the prices out at KSUA they are a bit pricey there, you may want to park at KFPR also has a good restaurant.