Renting Gear Tools

Raptor05121

Does anyone know of a place that rents the gear tools for cheap(er) or would be willing in loaning/renting me theirs? I tried LASAR but they want $1,000 in security deposit on a credit card to ship. I do not have a credit card. Looking to start my annual the 27th, can have them shipped back out by Dec 3rd at the latest

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

That's what I was thinking :D It would be much cheaper just to buy the things. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell after I get my IFR so makes no sense to spend $250 to use them for what..an hour?

Sell the airplane? :(

Just mulling in my head for the moment. My GF will be out of nursing school in a year, I hope to have my IFR/commercial, maybe my CFI done in the same time. We want to move to south Florida (the land of $400/mo hangars) and she wants to buy a house. So freeing up my airplane expenditures would be kinda nice but again, just a thought. Might move and pick up a partner, who knows.

I cannot understand why those rigging tools are so expensive.  They are very simple.

Seems like someone could make his own as long as the dimensions were the same.

The Mooney tools are steel, but I see no reason why they couldn't be fabricated from other material.

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

18 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

That's what I was thinking :D It would be much cheaper just to buy the things. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell after I get my IFR/commercial this year so makes no sense to spend $250 to use them for what..an hour?

Added value when you sell the plane it comes with it's own special tooling.:D  and if you end up keeping the plane for a few years they will come in handy again.

I have a complete set of special tools for My Mooney that I have accumulated of 7 years of ownership.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

That's what I was thinking :D It would be much cheaper just to buy the things. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell after I get my IFR/commercial this year so makes no sense to spend $250 to use them for what..an hour?

Another thought Alex, is take your plane over to Arnold Holmes in Leeland or Jake Clements in Daytona and let them check the gear rigging. An hour by a knowledgeable pro on the gear might be $$ well spent.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Another thought Alex, is take your plane over to Arnold Holmes in Leeland or Jake Clements in Daytona and let them check the gear rigging. An hour by a knowledgeable pro on the gear might be $$ well spent.

I second that thought.  Just because you have the tools, doesn't mean anyone can rig the gear.

There is definitely a "learning curve" to determine "first movement" of the over-center brace.  Even those who do this regularly can disagree on the specific torque reading.

Happily, the specified range is wide enough for some variance in technique.

I wonder if this was a misunderstanding. When someone asks about renting gear tools most assume you are referring to the compression tool to change the donuts. I"m guessing that is what LASAR assumed. Usually if you ask around most A&P's who have worked on Mooneys at some point have a set. We found a set in a dumpster a couple years ago.

-Robert

Quite possibly could be.

Either way I'm all scheduled up to let Arnold set it for me. I've been meaning to check out his project E and see some few friends in Leesburg so it works out perfectly. Supporting a local business and also getting proper knowledge for a very important part of the plane. Can't beat that. Thanks for the recommendation, Mike.

@RLCarter thanks for the offer.

• Like 3

Does anyone know of a place that rents the gear tools for cheap(er) or would be willing in loaning/renting me theirs? I tried LASAR but they want $1,000 in security deposit on a credit card to ship. I do not have a credit card. Looking to start my annual the 27th, can have them shipped back out by Dec 3rd at the latest

I have a set you can borrow. I can probably fly them over to you this weekend, or you can fly to Herlong and we can do it in my hangar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk