ICON A5: A Great Airplane With a Deadly Appeal

39 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Agreed. FWIW, I did stop watching the video before the end, and I’m pretty sure I would have tried to save him. 

I watched it with the sound off and never finished it. I did rewind it a few times to watch what kind of maneuvers he was doing but once I could no longer see the plane flying I quit watching. I used to look at car crashes and such as I drove by them, then one day I was driving past a scene and saw a pool of blood on the pavement coming from under a blanket over a body, I haven't looked closely at an accident since.

I don't know if I would have tried to save him. I like to think I would, but until you are actually in that position you never really know...

The preliminary is out.

The diving to low level and low level flight was obvious.  Two additional areas:

1.  Buzzed within 75’ of a house

2. Didn’t pull the chute safety pin (as directed in pre-flight) procedures.

My take: Again stating the obvious: Pilot error.  Pilot multiple errors is more appropriate.

I agree with the adage that flying is inherently safe, but terribly unforgiving to known unsafe actions.  

I feel for Roy’s family and friends.  If only someone that loved him or that he respected could have intervened?

Sad.

• 1 month later...

TMZ Sports has obtained Roy Halladay's autopsy report -- in which the coroner lists the cause of death as blunt trauma and drowning ... but points out the MLB star had morphine in his system. 

The 40-year-old died in a single passenger plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico back in November. As we previously reported, Halladay was flying in an erratic pattern shortly before the crash.

The toxicology results show Halladay had zolpidem (the generic name for Ambien), as well as morphine in his system at the time of the crash. The tests also came back positive for amphetamines. One source familiar with the autopsy tells us the results are consistent with someone who uses Rx medication. One thing of note ... the FDA lists on its website that more than 50 ng/ml of zolpidem "appears capable of impairing driving to a degree that increases the risk of a motor vehicle accident."

Halladay's blood tested positive for 72 ng/ml.

The autopsy report notes that morphine can be found in the system as a result of heroin use -- however sources tell us there is no indication Halladay had been using heroin or any other "clandestine drug."

The report also shows Hallday suffered a subdural hemorrhage in the crash -- along with multiple rib fractures and lung, liver and spleen injuries. He also had a leg fracture. 

• Sad 1

I'll just post what I put on another forum-

At least it was likely painless and he didn't take anyone with him. Rich people with sports injuries are likely no stranger to these drugs. I am super thankful that he didn't ask someone to go along with him.

• Sad 1

On 11/15/2017 at 1:35 PM, Marauder said:

Maybe I was brought up a little differently. I was taught to help those in distress. Whether it was a soon to be fatal automobile accident where you can offer only words of support & care or diving in and pulling the drowning kid out of the deep end.

This mentality saved me when 2 hero's pulled me from a burning Mooney. Thanks Bobby, Stan.... Glad you two were not among the reported dozen or so just wanting to get a good video to post on Youtube.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

If the report is true.  He had been taking drugs that are certainly banned and or frowned upon by the FAA.  The ambien, according to FAA medical guidance, should be at least 24 hours from dose to flying and chonic conditions that interfere with sleep are disqualifying for medial. The detectable morphine - depends on the methodology by which they measure. Most autopsy drug results are mass spec (not Elisa like in a pee test) and are far more accurate.   However certain oral prescription drugs like codeine are essentially metabolized to morphine and then go to work.  All the others that I’m aware of (heroin is mentioned) - morphine is another that would obviously be detected as morphine - are delivered by an intravenous route.  I have seldom encountered oral morphine in prescription form- it’s mostly an IV drug.   Amphetamine salts can  be detected from either prescription (Ritalin) use or by abuse. 

Sometimes you’ll see tox reports where they measure tissue drug concentrations as well as serum.  Serum concentration is more representative of recent administration of a drug.  If this is a true report (looks like it’s being picked up by more legitimate news sources now) it’s fair to say that there was a high probability of impaired ADM at the time of the crash.   

Rather sad.  At least he didn’t bring anyone along with him.  

• Sad 2

When we accredit labs, they are required to demonstrate adherence to confidentiality and conflict of interest guidelines.  It appears that the recipients of their reports do not all feel the same obligation.

Very sad indeed. :(

On 1/19/2018 at 9:28 PM, DaV8or said:

I'll just post what I put on another forum-

At least it was likely painless and he didn't take anyone with him. Rich people with sports injuries are likely no stranger to these drugs. I am super thankful that he didn't ask someone to go along with him.

I take exception to the majority of your post.  Are “Rich people” the principle drug users in the U.S. or does drug use/addiction cross over lines of race, gender, age, socio economic background?  Tact.  Get some.

What about rich people that have pain not from sports?  What about...oh, never mind.

On 1/20/2018 at 3:25 PM, kortopates said:

oddly, the full autopsy report has found its way to the web, haven't seen this happen before - full details are usually treated as confidential even in NTSB reports: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/01/icon-a5-n922ba-registered-to-n529pg-llc.html 

Leaking by those that are sworn to not leak.  Wow, there is something new...

Certainly similar to the heinous crime of pumping gas from a hose in a pump after pump is turned off.

Thug life.

Regardless the drugs found especially free morphine are typical hydrocodone/oxycodone metabolites that I'm not surprised a 40 year old baseball star would be taking for chronic pain.The Ambien so he could sleep at night,Dexedrine to wake up sharp...I believe had he been flying this ,he would be arround today

IMG_3931.PNG