ICON A5: A Great Airplane With a Deadly Appeal

The marketing message ICON is pushing has proven to be dangerous and irresponsible. They are doing a huge disservice to their customers and to GA. Their target demographic are young and inexperienced weekend adventurers who think flying a plane is sexy and hip. It’s the same crowd who when they were younger took daddy’s car for a joy ride and wrapped it around a tree. Similar mentality. Unfortunately they don’t know what they don’t know but take the bait and proceed to kill themselves...with mathematic predictability. And of course we all pay higher insurance premiums each time one of these goof balls crashes. It’s getting old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, PTK said:

young and inexperienced weekend adventurers who think flying a plane is sexy and hip

image.png.99ad841234896a9c9074c8c3f0145b5b.png

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/roy-halladay-plane-crash-gulf-of-mexico-philadelphia-phillies-toronto-blue-jays-20171107.html

image.png.d137a313756a61e555440643366d5839.png

His father:

image.png.ea568ab2a3befce90f1939a9df7c575c.png

Edited by jkhirsch

Just now, M20Doc said:

What type of mission had you that low?

Clarence

That was out standard VFR low level.  300AGL modified contour.  We would then pop up to 800AGL over the drop zone.  It was a lot of fun, but I had three others in the cockpit with me sharing the navigation.

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

That was out standard VFR low level.  300AGL modified contour.  We would then pop up to 800AGL over the drop zone.  It was a lot of fun, but I had three others in the cockpit with me sharing the navigation.

and a heck of a terrain radar system in the 130..Hurlburt?

38 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Yea, I hated those missions.  I was one of the meat bombs in the back with the 82nd Airborne from 93-95.... :blink: 

Brian

You guys used to drive me nuts coming out of Niagara Falls flying that low. The scariest bird encounter I ever had was being sandwiched in between a flock of geese 500 feet above me a couple of C-130s flying 500 feet below me on an oil burner route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, flight2000 said:

Yea, I hated those missions.  I was one of the meat bombs in the back with the 82nd Airborne from 93-95.... :blink: 

Brian

Hey!! You were flying low over my house then! I don't live near there any more, but my inlaws are still in town.

Can't think of a good reason to be flying as low as the video made him look. My first thought after seeing the pictures is that the wing looks partially detached, like he caught a wingtip in the water. Low level = high risk!

Edited by Hank

I think Icon representing this aircraft as half boat and half plane isn't really a safe Idea. when the came
out with the original concept i thought it was pretty cool, but as I got my PPL, i noticed advertising a plane
as a jetski probably isn't a great idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aviationinfo said:

Whoever made that video wasn't of much use, was he?  Wow.  He made his youtube video to show all his friends but it appears he forgot about trying to see if the poor guy flying it might have survived somehow.  Not impressive.

It's the me generation everyone gets a trophy for competing, why strive to be great whe youve already won. In out vocation there is no second best, we must strive for perfection at all times hoping perfection is good enough. Errors flying similar to Icons websites leave no room for error. Plus they expect newly minted sport pilots to have the knowledge experience and skill to perform those dangerous maneuvers all without aerobics training. Icon is on a very slippery slope IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danb said:

It's the me generation everyone gets a trophy for competing, why strive to be great whe youve already won. In out vocation there is no second best, we must strive for perfection at all times hoping perfection is good enough. Errors flying similar to Icons websites leave no room for error. Plus they expect newly minted sport pilots to have the knowledge experience and skill to perform those dangerous maneuvers all without aerobics training. Icon is on a very slippery slope IMO

And their own christened "test pilot" did the same thing in the May accident. The poor fool put on a flight suit and a helmet and thought he was a test pilot! But why not? Above all it's about the marketing message. All image, no substance.

"The pilot's failure to maintain clearance from terrain while maneuvering at a low altitude. Contributing to the accident was the pilot's mistaken entry into a canyon surrounded by steep rising terrain while at a low altitude for reasons that could not be determined." /NTSB

1 hour ago, Danb said:

I too was pretty shocked they arrived at a fresh crash scene and just gawked at it without even a thought that there could still be a survivor in there needing to be saved as quickly as possible.  It never occurred to them.

• Like 5