Roy Halladay/Icon A5 Crash

Jeff H.

Hmmmm..... I was thinking it was perhaps related to marketing it as a toy and dummy proof that entices people to fly it not carefully enough.  Cirrus went through horrible safety statistics at first but then improved to excellent lately with a change of perspective for training.

But the last statement about smoke....

This was #1 production off a new production line.  Could there have been an airframe or otherwise build error?

Great Philly, great guy family man.  RIP. Doc!

The radio station just stated a few boats were in the area and a plane was doing erratic maneuvers and showboating so much they took out there phone and recorded the guy, it then crashed they rushed over to rescue the pilot but it was to no avail, await for the films. If true what a shame I'm a doc fan so I hope it was incorrectly stated.

I was really pulling for ICON. I thought the initial concept was very cool albeit not very useful. It was my great hope that they would be able to bring the plane to market as spec'. However, they've made a lot of mistakes and I just don't think they will be able to overcome this.  Soliciting celebrity buyers means publicity and this is their "careful what you wish for" moment. Jim Campbell tore them a new one in an article just last week. $269,000 for a base model or $389,000 loaded 85ktas cruise, makes it an answer to a question no one asked. 

First look at the boating eyewitness film looked like accelerated stall is a likelihood. Unfortunate but impression is that it’s the same category that got their test pilot.  

I’m a bit peeved at the marketing.  This is what the company knew folks would do with this plane.  It’s too tempting not to.  Secondarily they came up with a training program - wink wink nod nod.  Plus the contract for purchase.  It seems like a giant tug of war between  liability protection and marketing with an underbelly of corporate arrogance and incompetence.  I can’t say I was ever rooting for icon from the beginning but their impending failure is bad for all of GA.

The thing probably deserves a type rating.  

• Like 1

After 50 years of boating in the lakes and rivers of Arizona. I can tell you that Jet Ski drivers are mostly poorly trained, ignorant of the rules and inconsiderate. They are known to make crazy maneuvers with no warning and without looking where they are going.

Why would an aircraft company want to associate itself with that.

10 hours ago, steingar said:

Things been marketed like a toy, a jet ski with wings.  Big surprise there's crashes.  Unless they tighten up their training and advertising  you can expect to see more of these sorts of crashes, if they stay in operation.  I wouldn't be surprised if no one would insure them ala Evolution.  Thing is, they really can't change much of what they do.  Their whole business model revolves around the aircraft being an expensive toy.  It isn't all that good for serious transportation.  What kind of toy is it going to be if it isn't fun to fly?

That was my thinking as soon as I saw those early adverts, showing people rolling around like a jet ski and I was wondering why catching a wing is mot a worry.

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

After 50 years of boating in the lakes and rivers of Arizona. I can tell you that Jet Ski drivers are mostly poorly trained, ignorant of the rules and inconsiderate. They are known to make crazy maneuvers with no warning and without looking where they are going.

Why would an aircraft company want to associate itself with that.

I row in sculling shells - a lovely quiet sport for early in the morning on a nice flat body of water.  Speed boats and sail boats tend to know the coast guard rules about proper separate from a man power boat.

Jet skis have many times down right harassed me - I mean charging right at me at 40-50mph and veer off and massively wake me - and let me tell you a racing scull is very tippy and hard to keep upright if waked.  SO I need to transition from rowing to full stop and hold both oars and just work to keep the boat from tipping.  Once or twice I have had the c*$&% scared out of me that they were actually going to run me over veering at the last second.  And oblivious I get a nice wave - hello!  We are having a fun day on the water and it looks like you are too!  No kidding this has happened many times - and not with the same person.

• Sad 1