Garmin G5 with HSI: Just what I've been waiting for?

pinerunner

Just now, Bryan said:

For me, the G5 HSI is of value because I don't have GPS Roll steering.  I have to turn the indicator at each course change - it wont' follow the magenta line.  Instead of installing a DAC for Roll Steering, it makes more sense for me to install a G5 HSI with the GAD-29B to talk to the autopilot.  It is my understanding that a G5 AI cannot take over and send the Flight Director signals to the King autopilots.

Correct - with the G5 HSI you don't get a flight director replacement... and the STC says that the FD needs to stay front and center. There may be a few King legacy setups that we'll see with a busted HSI and a 256 flight director attitude indicator paired with a G5 HSI.  We'll see.

Another consideration for these G5 HSIs is that if you have a legacy CDI that needs to come out.

The idea of a switch between two legacy nav/GPS units is enticing but impractical.  To do this you'd need to switch an RS-232 and several AIRINC connections between the two  nav/gps units.  The box itself will probably sense the switch without needing to restart it mid flight (at least I can confirm it will work with a RS-232 GPS only signal),  but 1) it's not within the letter of the STC and 2) it would be a wiring PITA - not improssible - just a pain.

Just now, Browncbr1 said:

Ah, I guess I just saw the flight director on the G5 AI features... So, it's up to Garmin wither or not to allow it to drive king APs.  My guess is that they won't, in order to drive GFC sales.

It's certainly possible - they would need to create another GAD unit (GAD29c) to drive the legacy analog attitude signal.  As you're alluding to it wouldn't make good business sense.

Interesting enough - it looks like in this installation manual via the STC the G5 can drive the GFC-600.  It was originally only advertised to drive the GFC-500 and the G500/600 was supposed to drive the GFC-600.  Interesting little wrinkle. 

Just now, bradp said:

It's certainly possible - they would need to create another GAD unit (GAD29c) to drive the legacy analog attitude signal.  As you're alluding to it wouldn't make good business sense.

Interesting enough - it looks like in this installation manual via the STC the G5 can drive the GFC-600.  It was originally only advertised to drive the GFC-500 and the G500/600 was supposed to drive the GFC-600.  Interesting little wrinkle. 

yea, I noticed that about the GFC-600 as well.   I also heard Revision 10 is coming soon.

My install date is Dec 4, so I'll pirep once I get some time.  Right now, I'm comb through manuals to figure out definitively if the G5 HSI, GAD29b, or GMU11 has an XYZ output to bootstrap my strikefinder.  

Just now, Browncbr1 said:

yea, I noticed that about the GFC-600 as well.   I also heard Revision 10 is coming soon.

My install date is Dec 4, so I'll pirep once I get some time.  Right now, I'm comb through manuals to figure out definitively if the G5 HSI, GAD29b, or GMU11 has an XYZ output to bootstrap my strikefinder.  

What format is your strikefinder bootstrap?  Probably AIRINC air data.  You can just parallel the wire that goes from your GAD-29b to your GPS/Navigator unit to your strikefinder so long as they are both low speed airinc.   Alternatively, if you're adsb compliant you probably have a couple of airinc ports out on your transponder that you could bootstrap your strikefinder to.

I am running into the same issue in that my GNS 430 is officially out of ports.

5 minutes ago, bradp said:

What format is your strikefinder bootstrap?  Probably AIRINC air data.  You can just parallel the wire that goes from your GAD-29b to your GPS/Navigator unit to your strikefinder so long as they are both low speed airinc.   Alternatively, if you're adsb compliant you probably have a couple of airinc ports out on your transponder that you could bootstrap your strikefinder to.

I am running into the same issue in that my GNS 430 is officially out of ports.

The strikefinder just has the XYZ type connections.  AIRINC isn't going to work.  Looks like no dice on heading stability for my strikefinder.

Anyway, for others that might be curious, here is a shot from the install manual for King APs

image.png.ccb35beef283686bdbf2f6d470ccf830.png

All good info, and thanks. So to me, as @bradp said, it would seem to make more sense to keep the analogue AI but add the G5 as the HSI to replace a legacy DG.  Or if using an Stec where the TC is driving the autopilot, a dual G5 stack seems to make some sense.

It took me a year of watching, but I scored an Aspen E1000 Pro on Barnstormers for $6 AMU, added the EA100 and was able to eliminate the KI256, associated HSI, and the vacuum system, TC and VSI. The HSI/DG on the Aspen will display multiple pointers. I can display the GPS course with the HSI needle, the VOR from my primary nav radio and the VOR from the secondary nav radio all on the same display. I know the Aspen is more expensive, but it really does seem to do much more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frozen Flying said:

By the way I read some posts by someone from Avidyne on the Avidyne forum that said they were working on getting the IFD 440/540 to work with the G5.

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1267&PN=2&title=garmin-g5-and-ifd-540

It works perfect with the Avidyne. They are just updating their paperwork.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 12:05 PM, gsxrpilot said:

All good info, and thanks. So to me, as @bradp said, it would seem to make more sense to keep the analogue AI but add the G5 as the HSI to replace a legacy DG.  Or if using an Stec where the TC is driving the autopilot, a dual G5 stack seems to make some sense.

It took me a year of watching, but I scored an Aspen E1000 Pro on Barnstormers for $6 AMU, added the EA100 and was able to eliminate the KI256, associated HSI, and the vacuum system, TC and VSI. The HSI/DG on the Aspen will display multiple pointers. I can display the GPS course with the HSI needle, the VOR from my primary nav radio and the VOR from the secondary nav radio all on the same display. I know the Aspen is more expensive, but it really does seem to do much more.

What are you doing with your old HSI and KI256?  I know someone who might like to purchase one or both.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, gsxrpilot said:

My Aspen STC calls for retaining the Vacuum Gyro as backup  - what did you do for a backup AI?  I would love to eliminate vacuum system and associated backup.

I just got my GAD29 working. I'm going to remove my DG and standby vacuum system. I have three standby attitude indicators if I need one. The standby vacuum seems redundant.

Unless you flight through a thunderstorm and every electrical device gets zapped after a lightning strike and left with only mechanical devices.
Don’t know how realistic that scenario is?

• 7 months later...

Really seems like the GFC500 is goong to be the best inexpensive digital autopilot coming near term.  That requires a g5 or 2.  Brining this back up to see if my ifd440 will work with dual g5s and a gfc500.  

• Like 1