AmSafe Overhaul and Service Requirements

Txbyker

Would anyone happen to know what the requirements are to have the OEM AmSafe systems overhauled or replaced due to service life?  I believe there is a 12 year service life and it requires replacement of the 4 seat inflators and overhauling the controller.  Its an expensive thing to do.  I do not see much mention of the AmSafe's being overhauled or complying to service life restrictions on plane listings for Ovations, Bravos and Acclaims.  AmSafe's web site does not do a good job of providing this technical information.  Throughout my logbook I see that the AmSafe system is checked at annual.

Russ

I'll be interested in the responses as well. I agree that that documentation is sparse. I know when I bought my plane it had just undergone a "required 7 year inspection" or some such, but there's little to say exactly what is required in the POH or anywhere else. I suppose this would be in the actual service manual, which I don't have.  Russ, it may be worth a call to Mooney to have them point in the right direction.

• Like 1

Russ,

The EMA (Electronic Module Assembly - which has a battery and other "stuff" in it) needs overhauling every 7 years ($500'ish) and replaced every 14.years ($1,100'ish)...coordinated directly through AmSafe.  Not that expensive in the grand scheme.  The airbag itself is replaced on-condition only.  Let me know if this helps.

Steve

The bottle's service life was extended to ten years via a SB by Amsafe. I'll try and find the SB. I rent the testing tool from them once a year and test a few airplanes.

The issue is there are about 3 different PNs of the box depending on aircraft...

-401,-201... boxes.

Another silly part is that some airframes manufactures have a 10 year life limit on the belts themselves. Per chapter 5. Thank you Cessna!

Im doing bottles and belts next annual on a friends T182T. 

There is a bottle for each set and an EMA for each row usually. 

-Matt