Anyone with tail dragger experience- need opinions

helitim

Flight,

Anyone here with experience moving a tail dragger around, what is the best method you have found?  I have recently purchased a Searey amphib that has a pusher engine configuration so grabbing the prop and pushing/pulling is not an option.  With two people it is quite easy to push on both wing struts but not so easy by yourself.  Do not like the idea of pushing on the tail feathers as they are all cloth covered.  I have looked online at the Tail dragger dragger and it looks promising.  Any other simple, economical, manual suggestions?  I do not need a powered unit as the plane is comparatively light.  

Thanks, Tim

I have zero experience with the Searey, but several of the taildraggers I've owned, including the one I presently own have hand-holds on the empanage to facilitate lifting the tailwheel off the ground and moving the plane wheelbarrow style.

As you have found out, a swiveling tailwheel can have a mind of its own.

20171107_102620.jpg

• Like 2

I like the Bogi-bar from Bogert Aviation.   It locks solidly onto the axle of the tail wheel.   I have used and owned others, but believe the Bogi-bar clamps on the best if properly sized for your particular tail wheel.  Generally I only pull with a tow bar and push with my hands.

I typically push most tail wheels at the attachment point on the rudder for the flying wires.  Place the base of your thumbs on the attachment point and you can push without pushing on the wires or fabric surfaces. 

Bill

A handhold would be nice but not an option here. As stated, the tailwheel can have a mind of its own sometimes. I am trying to avoid pushing on the vertical or horizontal stab if I can find a better way.  Lots of people do it, just looking for a better way. 

Not familiar with the Bogi bar but will be before the evening is done. 

1 hour ago, helitim said:

A handhold would be nice but not an option here. As stated, the tailwheel can have a mind of its own sometimes. I am trying to avoid pushing on the vertical or horizontal stab if I can find a better way.  Lots of people do it, just looking for a better way. 

Not familiar with the Bogi bar but will be before the evening is done. 

Don't be afraid of the tailfeathers, remember they lift the tail as soon as enough air is flowing over them.  I have a 360* video and when you focus on the tailfeathers you'll see they fluctuate quite a bit in the air, so they must be pretty stout to to be able to take that kind of abuse.