GTN Software Version 6.41 STC ---FINALLY!

donkaye

I use the VCalc utility on my GTN 750 for long descents. I even put a user config field on the main screen / map which is Top Of Decent (time). Once configured for airport pattern altitude, or waypoint intercept altitude, or airport elevation, I get a countdown timer to my TOD. I use this nearly every X-country flight.

The Visual Approach guideance is a nice feature to look forward to, especially on unusually narrow, upslope or other other visually deceptive foreign runways without PAPI or VASI.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 6:09 AM, NotarPilot said:

Dumb question here too... I’ve noticed some people say *Brand G” or “Brand A” when referring to Garmin or Avidyne.  Why is this?  Why not just say Garmin or Avidyne?  Are you scared you’re going to get sued or something?

Using such monikers is nothing new, and even I use them in my business. My competitors are healthcare giants McKesson and Optum. When I refer to them to prospective clients I use Brand "M" and Brand "O".

I've been looking forward to the update but not for the normal reasons.  Our current version, 6.11 has a bug that requires us to load the navdata twice every cycle.  This will fix that.

The visual approach will be nice but I think it will have limited utility for me.  It will be useful in helping to find a well hidden, unfamiliar airport, but using it implies doing a straight in approach.  I may be able to do that sometimes but more often than not, we all fly the standard box pattern.  I could still use it to find the runway above pattern altitude and then break off and enter the standard pattern though.  And there may actually be times I can use it when there is nobody else in the pattern.

Nice to have the option though.

1 minute ago, Bob - S50 said:

The visual approach will be nice but I think it will have limited utility for me.  It will be useful in helping to find a well hidden, unfamiliar airport, but using it implies doing a straight in approach.  I may be able to do that sometimes but more often than not, we all fly the standard box pattern.  I could still use it to find the runway above pattern altitude and then break off and enter the standard pattern though.  And there may actually be times I can use it when there is nobody else in the pattern.

I was going to mention that, I don't see much use for it unless at a controlled field and the tower puts you on an extended final. Not much use if you have to be outside of five miles to activate it, unless as you said, you are the only one in the pattern, and then, coming in on a straight-in.

I used the portable version to hit a vertical offset traffic pattern altitude a set distance away.  This lead to having enough energy from pretty far out for good glide capability.  And...  getting there without excess energy to bleed off.  Nobody likes a Mooney racing through the pattern...

Not accidently suggesting straight in approach because this tool would allow for it.... Its a VFR tool, so even the Garmin people probably aren't suggesting straight in approaches, or are they?

Without it I arrive the same way, a bit earlier or later... a few thousand feet over TPA isn't a real challenge. I have speed brakes...

I just like the added precision, with people on board. The final descent through bumps can be unnerving for some...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I was going to mention that, I don't see much use for it unless at a controlled field and the tower puts you on an extended final. Not much use if you have to be outside of five miles to activate it, unless as you said, you are the only one in the pattern, and then, coming in on a straight-in.

I'll use it on EVERY VFR approach whether I use the vertical guidance or not.  Once an airport is in sight, activate the approach and get immediate runway SA without setting it up on your HSI in OBS mode.  However, on Final to O41 a couple of days ago I loaded the approach, had the AP in GPSS mode, and the plane turned to intercept at 45°.  Once intercepted, continued to nearly GP intercept, switched to APR, and watched the AP capture and descend to AP disconnect and landing.  Pretty slick.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I'll use it on EVERY VFR approach whether I use the vertical guidance or not.  Once an airport is in sight, activate the approach and get immediate runway SA without setting it up on your HSI in OBS mode.  However, on Final to O41 a couple of days ago I loaded the approach, had the AP in GPSS mode, and the plane turned to intercept at 45°.  Once intercepted, continued to nearly GP intercept, switched to APR, and watched the AP capture and descend to AP disconnect and landing.  Pretty slick.

I understand what you are saying, but what is the value if you are flying a typical VFR pattern and turn base to final two miles from the numbers? And doesn't the glide slope need a minimum distance from the threshold to be captured? 

5 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I understand what you are saying, but what is the value if you are flying a typical VFR pattern and turn base to final two miles from the numbers? And doesn't the glide slope need a minimum distance from the threshold to be captured? 

I fly with students all the time who can't fly a downwind parallel to the runway.  Independent of flying with the AP or using the vertical guidance, activating a Visual Approach and having your HSI automatically aligns with the runway heading (assuming you have some type of glass HSI) should help solve that issue.

8 hours ago, donkaye said:

I fly with students all the time who can't fly a downwind parallel to the runway.  Independent of flying with the AP or using the vertical guidance, activating a Visual Approach and having your HSI automatically aligns with the runway heading (assuming you have some type of glass HSI) should help solve that issue.

The HSI is a great tool for flying the perfect parallel downwind, but when flying into an unfamiliar airport I rely on the GTN's extended centerline feature as well.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2017 at 9:54 PM, donkaye said:

GTN Software Version 6.41 was finally released today.  Almost every airport now has Visual Approaches to all runways, both front and back.  These can be flown just like VTF instrument approaches with vertical guidance.  They have a generated Glidepath that can be flown with an autopilot just like an ILS.  I've flown a number of them and really like how they work.  No longer is it necessary to put the GPS in OBS mode and turn the Course Selector to the runway heading for situational awareness.  Just load a visual approach and all the work is now done for you.

I took our airplane to the Avionics Shop for the biennial IFR certification. Passed all tests just fine. I asked them to update the GTN 750 software.  I was told that I had the latest version that was approved for certified aircraft , that the new software was only approved for experimentals.  Here is what I have.  I suspect I was “mis-informed”.

1AA089F4-C28B-41C0-ADAF-19010197DA3A.jpeg

5 hours ago, amillet said:

I took our airplane to the Avionics Shop for the biennial IFR certification. Passed all tests just fine. I asked them to update the GTN 750 software.  I was told that I had the latest version that was approved for certified aircraft , that the new software was only approved for experimentals.  Here is what I have.  I suspect I was “mis-informed”.

1AA089F4-C28B-41C0-ADAF-19010197DA3A.jpeg

Your Avionics shop is behind the curve.  They need to look at this and then do your install--or find another shop who will:

1758A_ASDN.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

This was my favorite software upgrade to the GTN. I've found that even if your filing IFR and ask for a visual approach on a clear day, you can get it, and with your GTN upgrade, you can fly a near precision like approach to a runway that doesn't have one which I'm sure looks pretty slick on radar.

• Like 1

My Encore was in the avionics shop for some work.  After reading  @donkaye & @Oscar Avalle posts and playing with 6.41 on my Ipad simulator,  I quickly requested the shop to update my GTN 750.   Tried it out today and it was great!

My home base (L31) is in a black hole with no VASI or equivalent.  This will not change anything during daylight, but will be a much appreciated additional tool at night.

Bill

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Happened to try the GTN 750 visual approach guidance for the first time today while I was videoing my flight.

I coupled it to my autopilot and let it fly the approach, it tracked extremely well.

I cancel the coupled approach when I called short final. 

• Like 1

Happened to try the GTN 750 visual approach guidance for the first time today while I was videoing my flight.
I coupled it to my autopilot and let it fly the approach, it tracked extremely well.
I cancel the coupled approach when I called short final.

Dan - does the visual approach also provide vertical guidance? Looks like it is from your video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

How close in to the runway can this new function be used? In the past while flying a regular pattern I've tried setting up an RNAV approach after turning base to final while  1 - 2  miles out and the system won't allow it.

On the RNAV Approach did you try VTF?  Regarding VFR Approaches, although there is a fix at 3nm from the threshold, I had it work close in on base including the vertical navigation.

6 minutes ago, donkaye said:

On the RNAV Approach did you try VTF?  Regarding VFR Approaches, although there is a fix at 3nm from the threshold, I had it work close in on base including the vertical navigation.

Since setting a fix doesn't do me any good on such an approach, I've set it to VTF but the unit displays the "LOW ALT"  warning and doesn't engage.

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

Dan - does the visual approach also provide vertical guidance? Looks like it is from your video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes it provides Vertical guidance.  I crossed KIMBA waypoint at 1,000 ft and flew the visual approach down to just below 500 ft before disengaging the AP and hand flying.

How do I make my link show as an embedded video like your reply had?

Yes it provides Vertical guidance.  I crossed KIMBA waypoint at 1,000 ft and flew the visual approach down to just below 500 ft before disengaging the AP and hand flying.
How do I make my link show as an embedded video like your reply had?

Your video showed as embedded. All I did was quote your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro