GTN Software Version 6.41 STC ---FINALLY!

donkaye

GTN Software Version 6.41 was finally released today.  Almost every airport now has Visual Approaches to all runways, both front and back.  These can be flown just like VTF instrument approaches with vertical guidance.  They have a generated Glidepath that can be flown with an autopilot just like an ILS.  I've flown a number of them and really like how they work.  No longer is it necessary to put the GPS in OBS mode and turn the Course Selector to the runway heading for situational awareness.  Just load a visual approach and all the work is now done for you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, donkaye said:

GTN Software Version 6.41 was finally released today.  Almost every airport now has Visual Approaches to all runways, both front and back.  These can be flown just like VTF instrument approaches with vertical guidance.  They have a generated Glidepath that can be flown with an autopilot just like an ILS.  I've flown a number of them and really like how they work.  No longer is it necessary to put the GPS in OBS mode and turn the Course Selector to the runway heading for situational awareness.  Just load a visual approach and all the work is now done for you.

This is very cool... We'll be looking for Avidyne to follow suit :-)

6 hours ago, donkaye said:

my gosh, Anywhere Map had this back in 2004...as you say Don, Finally!

When you say "Load" do you just load the Visual Approach via the "Procedures" screen as I would for an ILS or RNav?

Will be contacting my avionics shop about this update soon.  Waiting for the email from Garmin.

From what I have read, database updates can be done by the owner/operator but the software is "STC"d and needs to be installed by an FAA avionics shop.  I am sure they will charge, at minimum, their shop rate.  The update should not take long.

I read the release, and it says:  

1. When a flight plan is loaded, the GTN will also provide a short cut to optionally load and activate a visual approach when the aircraft is within 5 miles of the destination airport if an approach is not already selected.

capture.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

Dumb question, from one newly roped into Brand G. Does this update necessitate another trip to an avionics shop and an outlay of cash?

Not a dumb question, but yes on both.  The software update is free, but only a licensed Garmin dealer can load it on the box, so you get to pay for their time.

Just now, kpaul said:

Not a dumb question, but yes on both.  The software update is free, but only a licensed Garmin dealer can load it on the box, so you get to pay for their time.

And, unless you have a Garmin dealer on your field you get to fly your GTN and the airplane attached to it to said authorized dealer. I usually wait until I have something else, such as IFR certification, to be done. 

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

Dumb question, from one newly roped into Brand G. Does this update necessitate another trip to an avionics shop and an outlay of cash?

A Garmin Dealer must do it, but it only takes 5-10 minutes and mine did it for free.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Anybody have documentation on the new release that they can point me to or upload?

See 6.13 for visual approach information.  The documentation is for Software version 6.3, which was apparently bypassed.

190-01007-18_A GTN 750 v6.3 Upgrade Supplement.pdf

1758A_ASDN.pdf

1758A_ASDN.webloc

• Like 1

Just now, teejayevans said:

That’s an unwritten rule, if your G dealer has done work for you in the past, they will do updates for free.

I've had three dealers do it for me, one of them the dealer that installed the unit and the two others who thought it would be a goodwill gesture, in which case it did pay off for them as I eventually gave them other business.

A Garmin Dealer must do it, but it only takes 5-10 minutes and mine did it for free.

That’s because you handed them your wallet to install that panel of yours. If I were them, I would also construct a statue of you out front of their shop and have this inscribed with “Saint Donald - patron saint of Garmin”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

In addition to documentation that Don posted, I recommend the GTN simulator ipad app. They released this update on the ipad what seems like weeks ago and I have been playing with the new features since. Since the input to the GTNs is based on screen touches it makes the ipad simulator very easy to use (unlike the older pc simulators that required manipulating the knobs via a mouse). just wish they had one that included the G500 for the ipad like their PC version.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Amelia said:

Dumb question here too... I’ve noticed some people say *Brand G” or “Brand A” when referring to Garmin or Avidyne.  Why is this?  Why not just say Garmin or Avidyne?  Are you scared you’re going to get sued or something?

2 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Dumb question here too... I’ve noticed some people say *Brand G” or “Brand A” when referring to Garmin or Avidyne.  Why is this?  Why not just say Garmin or Avidyne?  Are you scared you’re going to get sued or something?

Good question. I doubt that it ever has anything at all to do with getting sued, I suppose it's usually a literary device. In English, most of us strive to find alternative language, synonyms, to make our little essays more interesting. And we want to be hip. (Mimi is a published writer... and is the very essence of hip.:rolleyes:)

• Like 1

Mea culpa. I am grievously guilty of literary sins and wickedness. And maybe a little sarcasm, too. I’d repent, but that might imply intent to reform, and that I cannot promise. I guess those who are offended will just have to forgive, roll eyes, or ignore. Or call me out here and scold me. Your choice.

As a side note, I rarely give legal liability a first, much less a second thought. Hip, Bob? Yep, very,  but every morning I start a new diet...

And my sincerest  thanks to those who answered my question!

• Haha 2

Good question. I doubt that it ever has anything at all to do with getting sued, I suppose it's usually a literary device. In English, most of us strive to find alternative language, synonyms, to make our little essays more interesting. And we want to be hip. (Mimi is a published writer... and is the very essence of hip.:rolleyes:)

Mea culpa. I am grievously guilty of literary sins and wickedness. And maybe a little sarcasm, too. I’d repent, but that might imply intent to reform, and that I cannot promise. I guess those who are offended will just have to forgive, roll eyes, or ignore. Or call me out here and scold me. Your choice.
As a side note, I rarely give legal liability a first, much less a second thought. Hip, Bob? Yep, very,  but every morning I start a new diet...
And my sincerest  thanks to those who answered my question!

Looks like Mr. A and Mr. B have figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Throughout the history of these great suppliers... they often get bashed for their harsh or hardline marketing or sales techniques...

It wasn't normal to drag the supplier through the mud, when the focus is an issue you are having with your plane...

So if you said 'Big G does this....' anyone in the room familiar with brand G knew of what you were speaking...

It was a common method of not getting stuck in Chevy vs. Ford arguments when the focus was on the antennae that weren't working...

MS has grown quite a bit over the last seven or so years... our endless debates are usually confined to engine ops, flap settings, and  TnGs...

Thanks go to Don, who has brought the word of the latest delivery from Big G!

I used to use my portable Garmin G196 to provide vertical guidance on VFR flights back as far as Y2K or so.

Nice to see it become officially usable in a panel mount device.

Is the 10mile limit on the visual approach a restriction of some form?

Some of my descents started further out, descending near Vne, with FT, in smooth air... that was probably a 400fpm descent...

Best regards,

-a-