From retro to basic

NJMac

I'm not sure what's "obscenely expensive" but with a little elbow grease and some sweat equity, it can be done for less than an AMU. I got a new panel cut after doing the layout and cad work ourselves, with free software, all in for less than $400. That was painted, laser engraved, and everything. The panel can then likely be swapped out without disconnecting any of the instruments. I could do it myself over a weekend and get the local A&P to sign it off. If you roll into an avionics shop and say I want a standard 6-pack panel using all the existing instruments, the full service options might be as much as $5K.
It will certainly increase the resale value of the airplane. And just freshen's up the cockpit nicely. 
Yep. Totally agree. I wish I could do alot of things over with my first round of mods. Doing the panel work myself would be on that list. I was his cash cow he milked.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I just placed an order for a Garmin SV unlock, 1.3 amu and I’m thinking...wow what a deal!  My value meter is so far out of wack the only thing that registers “obscenely expensive” burns Jet A. 

Prior to our cross country I had my AP/IA pull all the accessories and replace all seals/gaskets. There were a couple oil leaks I didn't want to fly across the country with. He thought the mechanical fuel pump looked like it might have been seeping some oil and it was last replaced in 1996 so while everything was off and apart I had him replace the pump. My wife was on her way to Aircraft Spruce to pick everything up and I told her it was going to be $450 ($400 of which was the pump). She said "$1,400?" I said, "No, $450." Her response was, "Oh, I was thinking $1,400 wasn't bad, I think you've broken me."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3