From retro to basic

NJMac

Ive updated the FB group a couple times but wanted to update this too.  Mx is just about done with his part of the job.  Hes replacing a fuel line that started leaking when the plane ran last night.  Plan is to fly it to avionics tomorrow.  
Got new STC paperwork from aerosafe for the standby vac pump.  Seemed like good company and nice people to deal with.  Avionocs shop is installing it, guess mx guy needs to move mine along since there are a few planes grounded waiting for their annual from him.  
Got the mooney specific insulation coming from airmods, thanks [mention=7104]carusoam[/mention] for the recommendation.  Set me back about $500 and will be drop shipped.  
Not terribly happy with the 2nd CDI so far over on the right.  Might do an HSI eventually to replace the DG so i can move the 2nd HSI over where the first one is now.  If anyone wants to unload an older working analogue HSI on the cheap, send me a message. 
Looks like thia plane will finally fly again.  Horray!
108417.thumb.jpeg.92af20ddfb33a217b2225be44af8bc93.jpeg
108687.thumb.jpeg.6de332efe270eb1e77068db750fc75b8.jpeg
108423.thumb.jpeg.dbe3608932bab2228c84b43aff437bc9.jpeg

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I can't believe I just found and started reading this thread.  Sorry for all the drama you went through. Carbon panel looks great.

I see your fuel gauges are X'ed out....Are you doing the CIES senders?  I will enclose a picture of mine.

I was going to do the iPad holder like you did but I was counseled by my shop that iPads change all the time and therefore it would require a change out in the panel.  I went with mygoflight suction cup mount on the right side almost blank panel with a universal mount.  

1. I can bring it towards me on an angle so it can actually be read.  When its flat it can be difficult to read even though our flight deck is small, my eyes are 48 years old though.

2. As iPads and technology changes I can adapt easily.

3. It was cheaper to do it this way.

4. Installed the high amp USB charger on the right you can see in the first picture.  Now I can charge my iPad even on full bright and phone and whatever else.

good luck.....and some cheap advice, being that you are doing so much at once make sure your first flight is spent up high and gliding distance to the airport at all times.

IMG_8373.jpeg

IMG_8381-3.jpeg

IMG_8273.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2017 at 11:00 AM, carusoam said:

Don't Expect a financial ROI On Any Of this.  The ROI will be in safety and completing a flight as expected, including a return to the airport You just left five minutes ago....  :)

Its to bad a buyer does not care about this stuff.....unless of course he is selling an airplane......

You would think there is at least one buyer out there that understands how many months of downtime and labor time spent researching and $$ it takes to make a plane safe and sound.  They all want the 30,000 dollar acclaim and then try to make you feel like they are doing you favor for buying it.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I can't believe I just found and started reading this thread.  Sorry for all the drama you went through. Carbon panel looks great.

I see your fuel gauges are X'ed out....Are you doing the CIES senders?  I will enclose a picture of mine.

I was going to do the iPad holder like you did but I was counseled by my shop that iPads change all the time and therefore it would require a change out in the panel.  I went with mygoflight suction cup mount on the right side almost blank panel with a universal mount.  

1. I can bring it towards me on an angle so it can actually be read.  When its flat it can be difficult to read even though our flight deck is small, my eyes are 48 years old though.

4. Installed the high amp USB charger on the right you can see in the first picture.  Now I can charge my iPad even on full bright and phone and whatever else.

good luck.....and some cheap advice, being that you are doing so much at once make sure your first flight is spent up high and gliding distance to the airport at all times.

IMG_8373.jpeg

IMG_8381-3.jpeg

IMG_8273.jpeg

Im sure there will be plenty id change if i could do it over again.  Being my first plane, ive been drinking thru the fire hose with this project and leaned on many for guidance.  I wonder if the panel mounted dock will be one of the things id change.  The support earlier in this thread was pretty big help in getting me on board with it.  Worst case its a few hundos and lasar will send me a new blank right side and we start that side over.  

I called Falcon Insurance on Friday to get full flight coverage and up the value.  They said with the depreciated avionics and the hours on the prop and engine it blue books at $68k.  Thats not far off from the cash we have into it. So if mx needs to ditch it during its first few maiden voyages, id just as well have the cash back towards a J or K. But as close as we are to having this thing ready to jet me around, id really like to keep it in one piece. 

My guess is he needed to program the fuel part of the JPI still but ill ask about the senders. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

You would think there is at least one buyer out there that understands how many months of downtime and labor time spent researching and $$ it takes to make a plane safe and sound.  They all want the 30,000 dollar acclaim and then try to make you feel like they are doing you favor for buying it.  

That's my biggest take away.  This took waaaaay longer and cost waaaay more than i even guessed in my wildest dream.  I was really mad at mx for making me park my dollars in his hanger for so long,  i would have gone postal if there was a note and payments involved. 

Edited by NJMac

2 minutes ago, NJMac said:

I called Falcon Insurance on Friday to get full flight coverage and up the value.  They said with the depreciated avionics and the hours on the prop and engine it blue books at $68k. 

I just did my upgrades and got the insurance up to 85k on my C.  It may cover the cost of what I have into it....but I doubt it.....

1 minute ago, NJMac said:

That's my biggest take away.  This took waaaaay longer and cost waaaay more than i even guessed in my wildest dream.  I was really mad at mx for making me park my dollars in his hanger for so long,  i would have gone postal if there was a note and payments involved. 

Mine took a while and I am still making some adjustments...probably over 4 months for me but I told the shop to work leisurely at it.  I just enjoyed it being in a hangar all winter in Florida vs outside in NJ.

IMG_8373.thumb.jpeg.940d3e8598a99a2bd47a4786a29bdd70.jpeg
IMG_8381-3.thumb.jpeg.96a2f5e1e382fce0723a20ca7233e730.jpeg
IMG_8273.thumb.jpeg.2f9ca279d64c80735fb684df16be3d11.jpeg

Jim - do you have picture of the mygoflight setup behind your iPad? Interested to see how it is mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Jim - do you have picture of the mygoflight setup behind your iPad? Interested to see how it is mounted.

This is what I have and it works for short flights.  I find that the suction cup does eventually pop off.  I am putting in on my newly painted smooth instrument panel.  If it were on the glass it would stay there forever.  

I am going to look into their new suction cup that just came out a few weeks ago and also a double suction or even the permanant mount.  Either way having the iPad on the right side and being able to pull it close, turn it etc is a great benefit.

https://mgfproducts.com/sport-mount-flex-suction/

https://mgfproducts.com/sport-universal-cradle/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Jim Peace that is a GREAT looking panel. I love the minimalist configuration. 

Thanks,

It goes with my lifestyle.  Have been homeless now for 9 years.  Not even an apartment.  This week I live in a company paid for hotel in ABQ. And starting next Sunday 2 weeks in Asia.  One day I will need to grow up, but I do not see it happening even at 48 years old.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

It goes with my lifestyle.  Have been homeless now for 9 years.  Not even an apartment.  This week I live in a company paid for hotel in ABQ. And starting next Sunday 2 weeks in Asia.  One day I will need to grow up, but I do not see it happening even at 48 years old.

I'm writing this from Hong Kong where I am this week. Two weeks from now I'll be in Singapore and Krabi Thailand. 

I wouldn't want to cut a hole in your clean right side panel, but I found this mount fit's beautifully into a 3.5" hole and mounts the iPad nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Diameter-Base-Ball/dp/B008JH1BW2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526271606&sr=8-4&keywords=ram+mount+ball

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm writing this from Hong Kong where I am this week. Two weeks from now I'll be in Singapore and Krabi Thailand. 

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Diameter-Base-Ball/dp/B008JH1BW2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526271606&sr=8-4&keywords=ram+mount+ball

Are you in Kowloon?  

That mount looks like something the girls have in Wanchai ..............

• 4 weeks later...

Mechanic presented me the final bill for his side of the job. Wife met him for the first time then and called him a DB.

He still needs to weight the plane and add shoulder harnesses but those were included in the bill.

Early March when i had had it with him, i asked for a quote to finish the job or i was taking it elsewhere. I added a mid continent clock and ring lights around the guages for nite flight since that quote. Roughly $650 extra in parts.

However he is billing 31 extra labor hours above what he quoted me back in March. At his 85/ hr shop rate, its not a rounding error.

Im torn over just paying the bill and being done with him or calling him on this. Ugh. Can be sure to say "dont use the mx at KSCA"

Honestly this whole timeline and experience has soured me own ownership.  Half of me just wishes i flew it as-was and added a portable status.  We have enough money in this for a decent J by now and i still havnt flown it once.  @gsxrpilot that still doesnt mean you can add me to your eBay list.  Lol. My wife is quick to point out all this missery was because of things i wanted,  and nothing that was needed. 

Edited by NJMac
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NJMac said:

@gsxrpilot that still doesnt mean you can add me to your eBay list.  Lol. My wife is quick to point out all this missery was because of things i wanted,  and nothing that was needed. 

I'm very sorry for all the trouble. It does sound like the issues here are with the shop and not with the airplane. 

I went through the same thing with my first Mooney. Not to this extent, but every time the local guy did work on my airplane, he seemed to break something for each thing fixed. After the first year, I was at Don Maxwell's for the annual with a long list of squawks most created by the local A&P on my field. I told Don my New Year's resolution was to never allow that A&P to touch my Mooney ever again. Not even for an oil change. 

In one of the luckiest turn of events for me... that A&P was fired by the airport and was replaced by JD, Laura and SWTA. Being on the field with a top Mooney shop and giving them a key to my hangar makes ownership just so much better, easier, and convenient.

• Like 4

I feel your pain.

Mine went in for annual January 5, came out 1 week later to go to avionics shop (needing a prop which was held up at the prop shop due to some of them getting the flu) - next in line after another Mooney - got partially taken apart while they were waiting on parts, avionics shop had the flu run through it for about 3 weeks, and I had them re-assemble my plane so I could take a trip I needed to make in late March. Came back and the plane went back into  the avionics shop April 2 and came out late May due to me wanting some of the latest and greatest avionics from SNF and having to wait on them to be available. Cranked it up Memorial Day weekend - and the alternator died on run-up. Got the parts I needed from Spruce - except the ones in the manual (Hartzell and Spruce) are not correct. Re-ordered parts and got it all back together this weekend. Ready to test out the new avionics, but not so willing to do it in June convective weather like we are having here. Got 4+" of rain last night, and a family got struck by lightning Saturday night inside their house. I can wait another few days....

• Like 1

I was already planning on my next annual at the MSC in New Jersey. I used to "fake it til i made it" in my businesses but i flat hate the idea of this mx doing similarly with my bird.

I'm very sorry for all the trouble. It does sound like the issues here are with the shop and not with the airplane. 
I went through the same thing with my first Mooney. Not to this extent, but every time the local guy did work on my airplane, he seemed to break something for each thing fixed. After the first year, I was at Don Maxwell's for the annual with a long list of squawks most created by the local A&P on my field. I told Don my New Year's resolution was to never allow that A&P to touch my Mooney ever again. Not even for an oil change. 
In one of the luckiest turn of events for me... that A&P was fired by the airport and was replaced by JD, Laura and SWTA. Being on the field with a top Mooney shop and giving them a key to my hangar makes ownership just so much better, easier, and convenient.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just called mx asking him to justify his bill. He is sticking to 31 hrs to install a clock and fiber lights. Ill pay it and move the plane. Considering filing a complaint with the city who owns the airport. His actions are no way to treat people or represent their community.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It hasn't even been a week yet and all the frustration with this jackasses billing has already faded Into the background. Avionics guy texted me this photo today and said he is planning on delivering the plane start of next week. Can't wait to enjoy all this change!

112553.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Scope creep keeps happening. Interior guy started on new carpet and headliner today. I honestly can't believe my wife hasn't taken issue with the financial blood bath this thing is becoming. 97f0fe9b5d75a9652ec3ed56b333c7db.jpge2691dae699d181531c13ec17f3065f8.jpg

57 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Scope creep keeps happening. Interior guy started on new carpet and headliner today. I honestly can't believe my wife hasn't taken issue with the financial blood bath this thing is becoming.

Please tell us that you are doing the interior on a "written quote" not on a "time and materials" basis. :unsure:

• Like 2

Please tell us that you are doing the interior on a "written quote" not on a "time and materials" basis. :unsure:
Lol. Yes it's a different vendor and its a firm proposal.

• Like 4