From retro to basic

NJMac

Ive said that so much recently. So much like giving a mouse a cookie. Have to draw the line somewhere.

Thanks to you and jetdriven for looking out for me on the insulation. I read that sb and it seems like i did almost everything wrong that i could. As one of my guys says, "good lookin out'. If you have a source for the bulk, good stuff that would be appreciated by many it seems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Airtex in Trenton NJ has the foil backed insulation as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The soundex insulation is heavy I ordered a medium size roll and it weighed 5lb. . That much as you used would weigh 40lb.  I sent it back. The Mooney stuff weighs nothing. I can’t find it anywhere either. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I placed a call to Mooney on Friday to get their insulation.  Mechanic tried to say his was no biggie.  Disagree.  Thanks for the guidance here. 

Spent Saturday with mx lending a 3rd hand as the instruments were mounted for good.  He made out like the fiber optic ring lights to illuminate the guages were a PITA. Looked fine to me.  Finalized the middle stack - L3 9000, ifd440, sl30.  Guy is bench wiring it all next week.  Going to stay with steam for a few years to see how the pfd mfd market shakes out.  Thanks to @Oldguy for his 12v elec vac backup.  Also appreciate @Schinderhannes for the SL30 and 2nd indicator - pleasantly surprised ive got a standby indicator with GS. 

Oh, and giving a mouse a cookie is turning into a partial interior redo too.  Floor and headliner.  I need a bonus to pay for all this. Dang. 

20180428_133022.jpg

20180420_205400.jpg

• Like 3

I wanted to mention on the JPI that I just found out last week if the buttons are in the wrong place for how you want to mount it/if it's not how they recommend mounting it for best viewing angle you can send it back to them and they'll flip the screen. This is annoyingly only spelled out in the pilots guide and not in the install manual which only cryptically mentions it. I was going to have to go vertical instead of upside down horizontal but instead mine is now on the way to them to get it made so I can use it horizontally.

I wish I had known this before I ordered as I'm sure they could have shipped it that way. But it's not like I don't still have 3000 feet of wire to get installed first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve W said:

I wanted to mention on the JPI that I just found out last week if the buttons are in the wrong place for how you want to mount it/if it's not how they recommend mounting it for best viewing angle you can send it back to them and they'll flip the screen. This is annoyingly only spelled out in the pilots guide and not in the install manual which only cryptically mentions it. I was going to have to go vertical instead of upside down horizontal but instead mine is now on the way to them to get it made so I can use it horizontally.

I wish I had known this before I ordered as I'm sure they could have shipped it that way. But it's not like I don't still have 3000 feet of wire to get installed first.

Thank you for that heads up. Does it have to be a brand new unit to get the screen flipped? Reason I ask is as soon as Tru Trac gets the approval for their Mooney's, I'm going to have my avionics guy install one of those for me. I'm figuring that for a 40 installation. Thinking maybe I can get the screen reversed at that point if necessary.

My wife and I bought this plane back in September or October and still to this point after countless AMUs I still haven't flown it yet. I really don't want to hold up the mechanic with the engine monitor screen issue. There is a guy on the Facebook group who said he ran his with the buttons on the left vertically and said it was fine ish.  I just want to fly this baby. 

10 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Thank you for that heads up. Does it have to be a brand new unit to get the screen flipped? Reason I ask is as soon as Tru Trac gets the approval for their Mooney's, I'm going to have my avionics guy install one of those for me. I'm figuring that for a 40 installation. Thinking maybe I can get the screen reversed at that point if necessary.

My wife and I bought this plane back in September or October and still to this point after countless AMUs I still haven't flown it yet. I really don't want to hold up the mechanic with the engine monitor screen issue. There is a guy on the Facebook group who said he ran his with the buttons on the left vertically and said it was fine ish.  I just want to fly this baby. 

It works fine with the buttons on the left.  The project is looking good. I hope you get to stretch its legs soon!

how much was the insulation from Mooney?

18 minutes ago, NJMac said:

I can't imagine they wouldn't flip the screen. The only thing is I guess they could charge something for it(mine is being done for free). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steve W said:

I can't imagine they wouldn't flip the screen. The only thing is I guess they could charge something for it(mine is being done for free). 

Good call.  Maybe ill send it off while the avionics are being installed.  Im told 2 weeks, that should give JPI enough time Id think. 

29 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

It works fine with the buttons on the left.  The project is looking good. I hope you get to stretch its legs soon!

how much was the insulation from Mooney?

Thanks.  Im not sure yet on the insulatuon.  It was just after 5 on Friday.  Im hopeful they'll call on Monday.  I'll update once i have a quote. 

Stuff goes back to JPI all the time...

Sometimes it is something they did wrong...

Sometimes it is something the owner didn’t get right...

Sometimes something changes... years later... like fuel level sensor types...new digital vs. old analog...

There is always a price to pay to get what you want... JPI is sort of good at that...

Expect when you do these changes you have to stay on top of JPI to get it done right.  They get no points in this arena...

If you leave something to chance... it won’t be a 50/50 distribution....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/viewitems/heat-shielding-soundproofing/soundproofing-foam

This works well.  Closed cell is what matters.  Foil is less critical. Make sure it’s not touching the tubular structure if you have a choice. Smooth end facing outside rough end facing in. . 

Make sure SB-208 is documented in the logs by your mechanic who doesn’t appear to know much about this Mooney specific issue.  It’s literally one of about two issues that can scrap a mooney airframe (spar and tubular frame- all else is fixable)  . So yes the insulation matters - even more so if living outside  

Before you put the new insulation in leak test your cabin windows. If they leak you have to start over and you’ll have another project. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bradp said:

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/viewitems/heat-shielding-soundproofing/soundproofing-foam

This works well.  Closed cell is what matters.  Foil is less critical. Make sure it’s not touching the tubular structure if you have a choice. Smooth end facing outside rough end facing in. . 

Make sure SB-208 is documented in the logs by your mechanic who doesn’t appear to know much about this Mooney specific issue.  It’s literally one of about two issues that can scrap a mooney airframe (spar and tubular frame- all else is fixable)  . So yes the insulation matters - even more so if living outside  

Before you put the new insulation in leak test your cabin windows. If they leak you have to start over and you’ll have another project. 

Guess ill be calling these guys for the insulation.  I didnt hear from mooney today.  Im honestly surprised.  My  company protocol has my staff follow up with all leads, sales or support, by end of business day.  I figured mooney would have been in touch today.  Not impressed with my first interaction with what i assume is supposed to be a luxury brand wantingto earn discretionary income. 

I'll check the windows.  I know the prior owner redid the glass within the prior 10 years.  Im thinking its good but i appreciate the heads up to check  

Edited by NJMac

38 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Guess ill be calling these guys for the insulation.  I didnt hear from mooney today.  Im honestly surprised.  My  company protocol has my staff follow up with all leads, sales or support, by end of business day.  I figured mooney would have been in touch today.  Not impressed with my first interaction with what i assume is supposed to be a luxury brand wantingto earn discretionary income. 

I'll check the windows.  I know the prior owner redid the glass within the prior 10 years.  Im thinking its good but i appreciate the heads up to check  

Mooney usually does not sell parts direct and they're not set up to field a volume of calls. Mooney owners are supposed to buy through a MSC. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Mooney usually does not sell parts direct and they're not set up to field a volume of calls. Mooney owners are supposed to buy through a MSC. 

Didn't know, thanks.  Which makes me ask the question, why didnt the lady on the phone tell me this as opposed to leading me to believe i would get a call from them?  Oh well.  

Off to search for the nearest MSC.

7 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Didn't know, thanks.  Which makes me ask the question, why didnt the lady on the phone tell me this as opposed to leading me to believe i would get a call from them?  Oh well.  

There might not be one very close to KSCA, you might just call Maxwell in Longview TX. @Lance Phillips is working on the MSC directory this week, at the moment the info is suspect but I don't see any MSCs in Ohio or Kentucky. There may be a couple in Michigan.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, NJMac said:

Good call.  Maybe ill send it off while the avionics are being installed.  Im told 2 weeks, that should give JPI enough time Id think. 

So, mine came back today, looks correct but I have no wiring to test it with. 

I sent it ground, arrived Friday, shipped out Tuesday next day air and arrived today, no charge. After all the horror stories I was expecting it to come back next year with a $300 bill.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:01 PM, NJMac said:

@NJMacplease feel free to call me at 830-792-2936, or Kevin Kammer is our director of support at 830-792-2919.  We apologize for your poor experience, but hopefully we can get it resolved quickly.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lance Phillips said:

@NJMacplease feel free to call me at 830-792-2936, or Kevin Kammer is our director of support at 830-792-2919.  We apologize for your poor experience, but hopefully we can get it resolved quickly.

This is something that is standard in different machine building industries....

It clearly isn’t natural to a new owner of an older Mooney.

There is probably a new owner each week coming to MS. Some of the common questions asked are...

• what is this part?
  • how do I get a new one?
  • My nose gear wobbles, what do I do next?
  • My nose gear lock block hole is egg shaped and it doesn’t always lock in place, what do I do now?
  • what is a PPI...? a little late as a new owner.

Not all MSCs  are created equal.  My NJ one is the best. A couple in TX are pretty good too.  Reports from the Carolinas indicate a Good MSC there as well... my favorite on the west coast had Sherri...and still has Dan. One of the premier MSCs on the planet is in Canada, Doc gives great service advice!

It would be great if the Mooney factory can connect the Mooney owners with the Mooney MSCs...  each MSC is different, each owner is different, and each service need is different...

It would help the new owner to better understand what is available and how to get the right part or service...

knowing there is always going to be a group of CBs that won’t want to pay for the full service, if the self serve line is available...

CBs have value. Some grow into aviation by starting out as a CB...  others stay in aviation later, by being a CB...

As a new owner in Y2K, I dialed the factory looking for some documents.  A POH and an Owners manual for my 65C. I spoke with a guy named Bill Wheat.  Bill was the personality of Mooney.  He set me up with what I needed... I later found Bill’s signature in my airframe Log Book.  35years after he signed the AW tests...

I learned about the MSC system after that...

There is always a separation of different businesses and business owners... the separation is good, over vast swaths of time...  bringing everyone a little closer to support the end user/Mooney pilot/Mooney owner would be great...

As a machine builder with reps in different countries, I was pretty able to figure this out...  Most people don’t have this experience to lean on...

Time flys,

-a-

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 2:32 PM, Steve W said:

So, mine came back today, looks correct but I have no wiring to test it with. 

I sent it ground, arrived Friday, shipped out Tuesday next day air and arrived today, no charge. After all the horror stories I was expecting it to come back next year with a $300 bill.

Thats great news.  Ill have my avionics guy send it out next week or 2 while hes doing his part.  Your timeline is encouraging that it won't hold me up at all. 

13 hours ago, Lance Phillips said:

Lance no worries.  Being a great company is as much about defining what you do offer and what you dont offer.  Seems clear that i was chasing a route, direct to consumer, that you dont offer.  Ill work within your parameters and go thru a MSC.  Thanks!

The MSC directory, maybe with a review function, would be great.  Maybe even with a zip code radius search feature?

JPI lines are being ran.  Wanted to get the community's blessing on his EGT placements.  Said he is going to place them 3 inches down on the manifolds where the paint marker dashes are.  Does the location,  front, side, oe orherwise matter?  

20180505_110307.jpg

20180505_110301.jpg

20180505_112327.jpg

• Like 1

Probably want the EGT probes installed pointing somewhat backwards to maintain clearance between your cowl and the wiring from the probe and the probe itself. Otherwise easy to bump when removing or installing the cowl.

• Like 2

Ive updated the FB group a couple times but wanted to update this too.  Mx is just about done with his part of the job.  Hes replacing a fuel line that started leaking when the plane ran last night.  Plan is to fly it to avionics tomorrow.  

Got new STC paperwork from aerosafe for the standby vac pump.  Seemed like good company and nice people to deal with.  Avionocs shop is installing it, guess mx guy needs to move mine along since there are a few planes grounded waiting for their annual from him.  

Got the mooney specific insulation coming from airmods, thanks @carusoam for the recommendation.  Set me back about $500 and will be drop shipped.  

Not terribly happy with the 2nd CDI so far over on the right.  Might do an HSI eventually to replace the DG so i can move the 2nd HSI over where the first one is now.  If anyone wants to unload an older working analogue HSI on the cheap, send me a message. 

Looks like thia plane will finally fly again.  Horray!

108417.jpeg

108687.jpeg

108423.jpeg

Edited by NJMac
  • Like 2