From retro to basic

NJMac

Who did you pay so much up front to ... the avionics shop or the mechanic or both? 

I paid for all the cost of the equopment to the avionics shop. Balance due will be their labor upon completion.

Mechanic got $7500 for the engine monitor cost and effectively the annual. Will owe his labor beyond where the plans is at this point

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

I paid for all the cost of the equopment to the avionics shop. Balance due will be their labor upon completion.

Mechanic got $7500 for the engine monitor cost and effectively the annual. Will owe his labor beyond where the plans is at this point

Is the mechanic or avionics shop holding the process up?  No reason why the mechanic can finish 95% of the annual and do almost all of the wiring before March.  Someone needs to get something done before the last minute.  Not your fault that he took on extra work while being six months behind already. 

If it comes to i I’d talk to the city and airport authority who employ him.  I’m sorry but if I take on extra work while running behind nights and weekends will be devoted until I’m caught up. 

• Like 1

Is the mechanic or avionics shop holding the process up?  No reason why the mechanic can finish 95% of the annual and do almost all of the wiring before March.  Someone needs to get something done before the last minute.  Not your fault that he took on extra work while being six months behind already. 
If it comes to i I’d talk to the city and airport authority who employ him.  I’m sorry but if I take on extra work while running behind nights and weekends will be devoted until I’m caught up. 
Its the mechanic who's holding it all up. The avionics guy has already bench wired all my com and nav stuff. Hes just waiting for a plane to put it all into. Supposesly the mechanic is already booked this month of Feb. Half (actually all) of me wants him to push the Feb guy back until mine is done.

Unfortunately this story is all too common. My experience has been that I have to show up every day or at least a couple of times a week and push. By spending enough time, it keeps focus on your plane... and eventually you become the guy who's plane gets attention immediately as soon as it rolls in the shop.

It also helps to find a good shop. I've been very happy with SWTA. And they deliver when they say they will. Of course, there is always the possibility that sourcing parts will take unexpected time, but they get the work done.

Best of luck, but I'd be hanging out at the shop every day I could until it's done.

• Like 2

You should seriously talk to him about the need for the plane to get to the other shop.  He needs to do the right thing and finish your job before he does “Feb” even if that means pissing off a bigger wallet than yours. 

I would make it clear that you expect a refund minus an hourly account of work performed to date and you’ll pay him when he finishes and not before. How much did you prepay the mechanic (not avionics shop) for this...?

I imagine you’re getting a crash course in ownership.  Local reputations matter a lot.  There are no ways to do things more cheaply orneasily without encountering these types or problems short of doing the work yourself with an IA.  

Other tips -

*Always* for annuals put in writing that a list of discrepancies is to be provided after inspection and no repair work shall be performed until an estimate is provided and items are released by the owner operator.  Don’t let money leave your hands for any labor related items until the work is done (don’t prepay for hours under any circumstance). It’s different for parts or avionics  where the shop has to outlay funds on your behalf.  You should pay for that stuff but make sure that you are the owner of the stuff when it’s bought. Not the shop.  If a shop flubs a job (crank seal thread) the expectation is that the shop make it right and you shouldn’t be paying for their re do.  It’s different for a parts failure where it’s not necessarily on the shop for a ie mag failure - so it’s fair to pay for the RR if you have an amicable relationship. If it’s someth major (thread a couple of years ago about an oil hose left off after an engine overhaul or something resulting in a failure and need for another OH - that should be entirely remedied by the shop).   The best advice I can give is find an AP/IA who is competent and you get along with.  Do owner assisted annuals and ask them to at least show you the inspection parts and what they are looking for / at.  If you’re interested learn to turn wrenches, but that’s not quite for all pilots.  Overall you are the “owner/operator” of Mooney airlines- treat yourself as such.  That’s your job.  

Just advice but I’ve had good and bad experiences owning and operating my mooney over not very long - six years.  

• Like 2

You should seriously talk to him about the need for the plane to get to the other shop.  He needs to do the right thing and finish your job before he does “Feb” even if that means pissing off a bigger wallet than yours. 
I would make it clear that you expect a refund minus an hourly account of work performed to date and you’ll pay him when he finishes and not before. How much did you prepay the mechanic (not avionics shop) for this...?
I imagine you’re getting a crash course in ownership.  Local reputations matter a lot.  There are no ways to do things more cheaply orneasily without encountering these types or problems short of doing the work yourself with an IA.  

I appreciate your comments and guidance. Last week, I tried to talk him into putting my plane before Mr Feb and he wouldnt do it. Pissed me off to the point where i have a hanger waiting for my plane at KDAY once im out of his shop.

I had thought i might ask him to give me one day a week where id come up too and work with him ALL DAY so that he cant make excuses and forces him to work on my plane at least 8 hrs a week. I dont really have time to take off work a day each week but would do it if i got my plane back earlier. Im going to call him and try to talk him into it tomorrow. I think this gets to a core problem, he just can't keep a schedule. I get it, i used to carry 3 cell phones and owned 2 businesses at the time. I couldn't keep a schedule back then either. But ive grown up and he needs to also.

Ive given the mechanic $7500 which covered the annual and the edm 900. I never considered stipulating who owned the JPI but now you make me nervous.

• 4 weeks later...

Took this down time during February to redo all the insulation and fresh air hoses in the cabin. David and the parts team at LASAR came thru for us perfect timing - thanks y'all. This week starts my month block with the mechanic. These panels should help speed things along.  Supposedly my planeis going from mx to avionics at the end of the month. Yeah. Im too trusting.  But im hopeful. 

20180305_190249.jpg

Edited by NJMac

@NJMac I think the horizontal mounting is preferable but not in place of the ASI.  I’m pretty sure the vertical position still provides all of the info for 4 cylinder engines (the 6 cylinder gives up the egt display).  

Id vote for the vertical mount in your panel. Keep in mind JPI really wants the buttons at the top, right, or bottom. However, it will work in the left orientation as well. 

Your panel is going to look great and well worth the wait. 

• Like 1

[mention=16476]NJMac[/mention] I think the horizontal mounting is preferable but not in place of the ASI.  I’m pretty sure the vertical position still provides all of the info for 4 cylinder engines (the 6 cylinder gives up the egt display).  
Id vote for the vertical mount in your panel. Keep in mind JPI really wants the buttons at the top, right, or bottom. However, it will work in the left orientation as well. 
Your panel is going to look great and well worth the wait. 
If we put it horizontally, we would shift the 6-pack to the right one column. Appreciate the guidance on the buttons.

29 minutes ago, NJMac said:

If we put it horizontally, we would shift the 6-pack to the right one column. Appreciate the guidance on the buttons.

But how will you start the engine? ;)

• Like 1

Late to the party as usual, but I am in the same boat as the OP.  First, don't move instruments ever.  It costs money.  If this is your airplane it might be the only one you fly, doesn't need standard anything.  You'll figure out where everything is quickly enough.

Second, do some sort of IFR upgrade, you haven't enough.  I'm putting a KLN94 in mine (along with the ADSB transponder).  Its old and hasn't WAAS, but its a good unit.  I think I'll be in for $12K when its all done (getting a new radio  as well, and labor).  But do it.  In your neck of the woods at Mooney speeds you WILL hit weather.  The first time you decide you absolutely have to get there through a system VFR will be your last.

Third, don't think the IFR will give you any amount of dispatchability.  You're in for a big letdown.  I saw a map recently of icing potential across the United States.  There was a big red bullseye right over us.  Mooneys don't carry much ice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well he said he would start in March. I was lead to believe first week. But late seems normal so today, the 24th of March he is finally on my bird. I was looking thru the maintenance logs, plane has only flown about 60 hrs in the last 5 years. You all now have me concerned about the cam making metal. Oh well, i guess ill deal with it as it comes. eff7f694247ed161c6024ebb71f51a5c.jpga6e23fa6369d56e352d66d5925f9bddf.jpg5203ad163ef61360734a69dda703df16.jpg339ae39e401dcd74d3b57b8ed591d9e0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And so my "March" airplane continues. Maybe that will be her name - Miss March. At least we're making progress. Thanks to this site, have an electric standby vac pump and an sl30 on the way for nav/com2. The boxes of old junk has to weigh 15 lbs.

Also took the time to redo the insulation in her. Its noticably quiter inside now.

My wife agreed, we are getting the lighter tan carpet from SCS interiors. 18e587e5f5f912f9d7bf8a14cbbc007c.jpg9fd6721a51b1addbff1db9a988c364b3.jpge9e4db60f0d19310fe3555a5018dabbf.jpg8b0faa537104353e5bf1388c59f94c70.jpgf993b1c11073009e45e2274f3d505099.jpg

Bad. Potentially very bad. You’d be much better off having no insulation at all and a good set of ANR headsets. 
Now is the time while the entire interior isn’t out to remove it all and inspect your tubular steel structure for rust and corrosion pursuant to Mooney Service Bulletin M20-208B.
Jim
http://www.mooney.com/en/sb/M20-208B.pdf
What makes the insulation so bad?

It absorbs water then corrodes the steel tube fuselage.  Also the aluminum. 
Oh that's fun. Is there a preferred insulation instead? Sorry if the sb says it, only on the first page

I’d also like to know the preferred bulk material. I was just about to place an order for super soundproof sheet from aircraftspruce. But I have no idea if that’s one of the better options or not. 

@NJMac you might want to add shoulder harnesses to the front seats while everything is opened up.  I personally think it’s an important safety item. 

[mention=16476]NJMac[/mention] you might want to add shoulder harnesses to the front seats while everything is opened up.  I personally think it’s an important safety item. 

Agreed. Shoulder harnesses and a LED landing light are on the list also. Thanks!

While you’re in there ...
Jim
Ive said that so much recently. So much like giving a mouse a cookie. Have to draw the line somewhere.

Thanks to you and jetdriven for looking out for me on the insulation. I read that sb and it seems like i did almost everything wrong that i could. As one of my guys says, "good lookin out'. If you have a source for the bulk, good stuff that would be appreciated by many it seems.