Looking for an accutrak system

Welcome KY!  

I did exactly what you are trying to do.  

The ACCUTRAK2 is fairly easy to come by.  I think Brittain may even have some computers.  The real challenge is finding the BI-805 valve.  This is the component the computer talks to to route the vacuum.  Before you spend the money and time to track the components down, this is my experience with the ACCUTRAK2.

For analog functions such as VOR/LOC it does a really good job.  With a GPS, not so much.  The reason is the way GPS sends the signal.  The GPS sends a digital signal and the analog controller can't really figure out what is going on.  It has a tendency to hunt, but will track if you don't mind wandering a bit.  

I suppose with a D/A converter you could make it work well and I have been thinking about trying to design one... in all my spare time.  LOL!  

It does work, but don't expect it to perform like a digital autopilot.  Of course, it's not a $20000 autopilot either.

47 minutes ago, Guitarmaster said:

Welcome KY!  

The ACCUTRAK2 is fairly easy to come by.  I think Brittain may even have some computers.  The real challenge is finding the BI-805 valve.  This is the component the computer talks to to route the vacuum.  Before you spend the money and time to track the components down, this is my experience with the ACCUTRAK2.

For analog functions such as VOR/LOC it does a really good job.  With a GPS, not so much.  The reason is the way GPS sends the signal.  The GPS sends a digital signal and the analog controller can't really figure out what is going on.  It has a tendency to hunt, but will track if you don't mind wandering a bit.  

I suppose with a D/A converter you could make it work well and I have been thinking about trying to design one... in all my spare time.  LOL!  

It does work, but don't expect it to perform like a digital autopilot.  Of course, it's not a $20000 autopilot either.

Some people use a procine device such as the smart coupler to convert nema gps signal to analog left and right.   So, a handheld gps could drive an accutrak.  They are cheap and function well. 

Some people use a procine device such as the smart coupler to convert nema gps signal to analog left and right.   So, a handheld gps could drive an accutrak.  They are cheap and function well. 
I will check that out. Thanks!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not my experience.  My Garmin GNC300XL has analog left and right.  Accu-Trak works very well on a GPS heading.  I also have an Accu-Flite and truth be told I use the heading bug more than the GPS for nav tracking in my plane. Good luck on your search.  I found both on EBay.

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Not my experience.  My Garmin GNC300XL has analog left and right.  Accu-Trak works very well on a GPS heading.  I also have an Accu-Flite and truth be told I use the heading bug more than the GPS for nav tracking in my plane. Good luck on your search.  I found both on EBay.

I have this same setup, but it's driven by my G430W. Still use the heading bug 95% of the time.

• Like 1

Welcome KY!  

Not my experience either. I have an old GX60 driving the accutrack and it works really well. Stays glued to the magenta line. I have the GPS set up to provide max scale deflection of CDI at .3 miles at all times and set the Accutrack to high sensitivity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Good info guys! Thanks for the feedback, Im on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a GTN 650 with the GTX 345 transponder and flight stream 210 ect, so what is needed to make it work well at that point, its just money right?! I dont see the value of a 20k autopilot in this plane and i already have the PC system works great so why refit all this new stuff when this old stuff works great. Hopefully I can find what i need soon, i am on the list with brittain also

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kybentley49 said:

Good info guys! Thanks for the feedback, Im on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a GTN 650 with the GTX 345 transponder and flight stream 210 ect, so what is needed to make it work well at that point, its just money right?! I dont see the value of a 20k autopilot in this plane and i already have the PC system works great so why refit all this new stuff when this old stuff works great. Hopefully I can find what i need soon, i am on the list with brittain also

My A&P installed mine.  Get the install manual from Brittain.  They will likely send for cost of postage.  This is not a big deal install.

Well guys ive done the impossible, I found the unicorn valve! Now I just need to straighten out exactly what other components i need for an accuflite system i guess is the one i want, and according to Brittain ill need an DAC 31 something or an Icarus for the roll steer capabilities, anyone have anything for me there?

1 hour ago, Kybentley49 said:

Well guys ive done the impossible, I found the unicorn valve! Now I just need to straighten out exactly what other components i need for an accuflite system i guess is the one i want, and according to Brittain ill need an DAC 31 something or an Icarus for the roll steer capabilities, anyone have anything for me there?

Icarus is nice, but not necessary to GPS track.

Edited by MyNameIsNobody

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the approvals page for the Accutrac and you'll find that it is not approved for any approaches- only straight line cruise tracking.

Just because it can be hooked up to work doesn't make it legal. One really should follow the STC to the letter and get it signed off as such. 

I have one and it does a good job of cruise tracking with my Garmin GPS 155TSO.

I'm waiting to be one of the first with either the new TruTrac or Trio digital autopilots. Maybe by 1st Qtr 2018. My Brittian system will be available then. 

That being said, I have tested mine in severe clear and found it able to split the runway at 50' on a normal 600' GPS non-precision approach. If I was on fire and had to get down it would put me on the runway in zero/zero conditions. I'M NOT SAYING TO BREAK REGS AND DO THIS AS A NORMAL OPERATION-OK?  All I'm saying is I have great confidence in this system.