OH'd IO-360 cost

philipneeper

OH Cost  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Cost you would pay for an OH'd IO-360A3B6D w/o ACC

• $15000
    • $17000

38 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Do you already have the STC that allows the A3B6 to be substituted for the A1A? Mine was from ModWorks but I'm not sure who sells it now. Otherwise you'd need to find an A1A.

Don't Js use either the A3B6 or A3B6D? Lots of them out there. I can't use one . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The A1B6 is also on the M20J TC. Anyone ever heard of one being installed?

The A1B6D can be field converted to an A3B6D by Mooney s/b. They were installed in early serial numbers.

Clarence

2 hours ago, philipneeper said:

I need advice. I have been pondering to buy an IO-360-A3B6D and field overhaul it. My question is what would one feel comfortable in paying for a OH motor w/o accessories? $15-16k ?  With Accessories $18500-20k? 

$10,000. My shop has been using Jewell for engine overhauls for many years with uniformly excellent results. Add $5,000 to Jewell's price for engine R&R and overhaul of the accessories.

Price%20Sheet%202017%20Engines.pdf

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I agree that Jewell and Aero Engines of Winchester, for instance, set a good baseline price for a quality field overhaul.  Philip’s price would presumably be outright, though, without a core to turn in. I’m not sure how that would affect the math. 

Jim

There is no way I could match Jewell’s prices. Those numbers would be outright, subtract 3500-4K for core. 

I do A/P work on the side as a hobby and overhauling motors is something I’ve been wanting to do, just charge less than the avg Shop because I don’t believe GA should cost an arm and a leg

4 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I get it. My A&P/IA has built many an engine, too, and I trust him explicitly. I’d still probably go with one of the mentioned shops that does them daily, though. Especially if they are cheaper. 

Sorry. I don’t mean to either disparage or discourage. But that’s the way I see it. 

And that’s why I posted the question here. I wanted the blunt truth. But those shops weren’t always big, they had to start somewhere. 

Again, thank you for your HONEST opinion 

33 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I agree that Jewell and Aero Engines of Winchester, for instance, set a good baseline price for a quality field overhaul.  Philip’s price would presumably be outright, though, without a core to turn in. I’m not sure how that would affect the math. 

I'm assuming the vast majority of people will have a core.

10 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I'm assuming the vast majority of people will have a core.

I can tell you from personal experience that there are exactly two places in the United stages that will provide an engine without a core. Lycoming and Western Skyways. When I lost my engine I had no usable core. I came here and got loads of “try my favorite shop”. I dutifully called each one and got “no”, “no”,”no”. 

Lycoming required $20K additional for not having a usable core. So a perfect core would be worth a 20k credit with Lycoming 

-Robert. 

Lycoming  core charge for us was $14,000. I know this because you write them a $14,000 check when you send in the core and they don't cash it if they like it. If you don't have usable core maybe it's a lot easier to buy a run out engine or a salvaged engine from a scrapped plane and send that in rather than pay the 14k. 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:52 AM, jetdriven said:

Lycoming  core charge for us was $14,000. I know this because you write them a $14,000 check when you send in the core and they don't cash it if they like it. If you don't have usable core maybe it's a lot easier to buy a run out engine or a salvaged engine from a scrapped plane and send that in rather than pay the 14k. 

I considered this but you have to have a pretty complex deal with the seller. It doesn't take long for Lycoming to eat that core charge away if a cam is worn down, accessory gears, maybe a case doesn't pass. Plus Lycoming says the engine must be in runnable condition for them to even accept it (can't be rusted in a barn). For me, by the time I figured the risk of all that and the hassle shipping an extra engine, etc I passed on it. You'd have to be able to get a good, running  core  below $10K to warrant the headache in my opinion. A core in that condition is probably worth more as an overhaul.

-Robert

• Like 1

Correct.  An operable, complete engine is required. If it meets that criteria, no charge backs. If you have a marginal engine, the factory option may be cheaper, as it removes all unknowns such as cases or cranks that wont pass.