Departure Procedures

A common clearance here (ZHU) is the Industry Nine departure to the Industry VOR then...  Problem is that this can't be entered into my Avidyne 440 without loading all the individual waypoints.  It forces you to choose a transition.  The clearance is commonly issued without a transition to lower level flights.

Is there any way to do this without loading all the individual points?

The more proper way would be to load the departure procedure and wisely choose the CWK transition, since it has only one extra waypoint. Then simply delete/remove the one extra waypoint, CWK, at the end of the procedure. Now your programmed flight plan is exactly per your clearance before you depart, as it should be, and you don't have to do any modifications as you pass over IDU - at least not until they give you an amendment like cleared direct to waypoint. 

• Like 2

@kortopates

Hi Paul,

I loaded the departure in the IFD540 simulator and into the IFD100 app just the way you mentioned before I initially responded, but I was unable to clear/delete the CWK waypoint.  Not sure if I'm just not educated in the ways of doing it or if it blocks the action as it's part of the procedure.

Ron

Just now, Marcopolo said:

@kortopates

Hi Paul,

I loaded the departure in the IFD540 simulator and into the IFD100 app just the way you mentioned before I initially responded, but I was unable to clear/delete the CWK waypoint.  Not sure if I'm just not educated in the ways of doing it or if it blocks the action as it's part of the procedure.

Ron

That sucks. I'd contact Avidyne, its no problem doing this with the Gamin GPS's. Just did it with with the GTN simulator. I'd complain to them it's preventing you from entering your cleared route before departure. That should get their attention. They should allow it - obviously its not a certification requirement to prevent deleting waypoints since Gamin allows it (I believe it would be to insert random waypoints). 

I would add, when discussing with them, you can't really activate a leg between anything but the last waypoint in the departure procedure and the first waypoint in the enroute portion - i.e. its got to be between two sequential waypoints. (unless Avidyne does that differently too). All of this leaves you waiting till over IDU to change with a direct to a waypoint in the enroute portion which is not good.

@kortopates

Thanks Paul,

Again, it may just be that I'm not educated on the proper process to delete that waypoint.  But I am able to go direct or activate any leg that is loaded beyond the approach and I can do that at anytime while sequenced in the approach, so I don't necessarily have to wait til over or near the IDU VOR.  But I do get your point about being able to have the fully cleared route loaded and sequenced in the FPL.

Ron

11 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

@kortopates

Thanks Paul,

Again, it may just be that I'm not educated on the proper process to delete that waypoint.  But I am able to go direct or activate any leg that is loaded beyond the approach and I can do that at anytime while sequenced in the approach, so I don't necessarily have to wait til over or near the IDU VOR.  But I do get your point about being able to have the fully cleared route loaded and sequenced in the FPL.

Ron

Exactly, we won't take off with any of my students till the box matches our cleared route (not meaning to sound anal about it). But in order to activate a leg, between IDU and some waypoint in the enroute portion or an approach you would need to add IDU in a second time after the departure procedure, and then you'll have IDU -> CWK (departure portion) -> IDU (enroute) -> next waypoint. Since you won't be able to activate a leg: "IDU -> next waypoint" using the IDU in the departure procedure. Agreed? Yes, you can go direct to anywhere, but you can't do that till you are actually cleared to do so and start turning/navigating in that direction, which is why I am referring to have to wait till you get to that point in the flight. Meanwhile your GPS is not programmed as cleared. 

And the if the controller tells you direct to some waypoint in the enroute portion before IDU such as like crossing "BOCCK" (before IDU) you won't be able to fix that ahead of time either if you can't delete IDU so it sequences properly.

Edited by kortopates