M20E First Upgrade

Great investment. I leave mine on all the time. I can’t get a straight answer though to the life expectancy of it. Make your second upgrade to be shoulder harnesses if you don’t have them already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Great investment. I leave mine on all the time. I can’t get a straight answer though to the life expectancy of it. Make your second upgrade to be shoulder harnesses if you don’t have them already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my first upgrade, I think the most important one someone can do. Can't imagine driving around in a car with just a lap belt in the front seat but for some reason people feel comfortable with flying a plane like that. 

The LED landing light was my second, I like having it on all the time for the extra visibility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I can’t get a straight answer though to the life expectancy of it.

I've been burning mine for 300+ hours now and still going.  I've heard the Whelen's are good for 1,000 hours, so we'll see.  Never found any documentation to back it up, but the old GE bulb would have needed replaced at least 6-7 times by now if left on continuously.

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

NICE!  Glad to see shoulder harnesses too.  I had a lot of problems with the old sealed beam lights (really worthless).  I put a ZeeVision HID light (brighter than LoPresti Boom Beam) in prior to LED lights becoming the rage.  Did with a field approval before the clamps were put on by FAA...Now clamps lessoned?  Anyway, I like the LED users operate all the time with light on.  Bright and low draw.  Long time happy customer.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, McMooney said:

Woot Just finished my first MAJOR upgrade, well Major to me.  First time I've taken a screwdriver to my bird.

20171102_170345[1].jpg

Bring yer checkbook down to M7 - you and I can get a list o stuff together - I love to spend other peoples cash.......  

file.jpeg

file2.jpeg

file1.jpeg

13 hours ago, Mike Ropers said:

Bring yer checkbook down to M7 - you and I can get a list o stuff together - I love to spend other peoples cash.......  

file.jpeg

file2.jpeg

file1.jpeg

I hope that the wrong sized plastic hub cap on the nose wheel doesn’t break and jamb your gear in the nose wheel well.

Clarence

1 hour ago, daver328 said:

Shoulder harnesses make it a good 5 knots faster!

(Just teasing ... after several folks who don’t know each other recommended then,we installed them too.judt the two front seats. I hear the back seats are harder to do? )

I asked the folks at Mooney about the feasibility of installing shoulder harnesses in the rear seats of my M20D.  They told me the short body Mooneys don't have the same steel frame in the back and there is nowhere to attach the shoulder harnesses.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, daver328 said:

Shoulder harnesses make it a good 5 knots faster!

(Just teasing ... after several folks who don’t know each other recommended then,we installed them too.judt the two front seats. I hear the back seats are harder to do?) 

My understanding is that the C lacks the structural support to put shoulder belts in the back seats. 

Glad you have them in the front now. Hopefully you never need them. According to the FAA "Using shoulder belts in small aircraft would reduce major injuries by 88% and fatalities by 20%." That was reason enough for me to spend the money on them. 

seatbelts.pdf

Just now, mooniac15u said:

I asked the folks at Mooney about the feasibility of installing shoulder harnesses in the rear seats of my M20D.  They told me the short body Mooneys don't have the same steel frame in the back and there is nowhere to attach the shoulder harnesses.

You beat me to it.