Passenger Briefing

Zulee

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

While the passenger briefing can and does impart useful knowledge, I think its greatest benefit may be to place the idea that an accident can happen in the mind of the passenger.

When things do go wrong, humans can sit for precious microseconds in denial.  A good briefing can convert denial into action.

I always brief my passenger(s).  It's  on my checklist.

It is on mine too.  I used to live a life (career) where we always had to be ready for the worst possible outcomes where the penalty for failure could mean the ultimate sacrifice.  That view has served me well as a pilot.  The people in my aircraft can be part of the solution.  If I believe, in the slightest, that they can only be part of the problem, I will find a gentle way to not take them into the "wild" blue yonder.  Otherwise, they get briefed.  

I once convinced my driver that morning physical training (PT) was important because the reason I did PT with the troop every morning was to make sure that if we hit a landmine, I could haul his sorry ass the 500 meters or so to an aid station to try and save his life.  And by the way, would he mind doing the same training for the same reason?  He never missed a PT session after that.  The lesson here?  Motivated people can help solve problems.  If they are prepared, it is easier to do what is needed.

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

The only two times I have had the door pop open was when I allowed a Mooney owner with more Mooney experience than I.

Yep, happened to me too.  I let a guy who owned a Mooney for 10 years prior to my purchase take care of the door.  Not only did he only latch it half way, he also left the seatbelt latch hanging out.  I asked him what that rattling noise was when we leveled off and he looked down and discovered his mistake.  Anyway he quickly retrieved the right half of the seatbelt and properly secured the door in flight no problem.  On landing we discovered that the seatbelt latch scratched the blue paint off revealing the white base coat.  He was sooooo apologetic and embarrassed, and even bought me some touchup paint that I never used, but from that moment forward the only people allowed to shut the door are me and my wife.

You can't make this shiv up

13 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

How many people that have never been in a general aviation airplane before will know what a

flap

glareshield

rudder pedal

is ?

Personally I do not allow passengers to close the door.

Some would say having all passengers wear headsets is a safety of flight issue. Without a headset and in an emergency how do you plan to communicate with them ?

Good points.  The only part of the briefing I give before we go to the plane is the first item; stay away from the propellers.  The rest of it I do at the airplane and point to each item.  "See where it says 'no step'?  Don't step there."

15 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

I really make things complicated.  Here's what I use for my Angel Flights.  I assume they have never been in a GA airplane before.  I have it formatted as two pages so I can print it on the front and back on a piece of paper and then trim it to a pretty small size.

1.  Stay away from propeller areas on the way to the plane.

2.  Do not step on the flaps on the way in or out of the plane.

3.  Stay on the black strip on the wing.

4.  There are two emergency exits.  The main door and the baggage door.  To open the main door, pull back on the latching lever and push the door open.  For the baggage door, remove the plastic cover and use the handle inside to open the door.

5.  Boarding the airplane:

a.  Front seat.  Do not grab the glareshield.  With your right leg, step in on the floor in front of the seat.  Bend over and with your left hand grab the metal tube in the middle of the windshield.  Step in with your left leg and lower yourself into the seat.  Or just step on the seat, then the floor, and sit down.

b.  Back seat.  Step on the floor behind the seat with both feet.  Face forward.  Squat down into the seat.

6.  Closing the door.  Please do not slam!  With your left hand grab the handle and gently pull it shut.  While holding it shut use your right hand to push the latch lever forward.

7.  Seat belts.  The back only has a lap belt.  The front has lap and shoulder harness.

8.  Be careful not to unlatch the red lever between the seats.

9.  Do not push on the rudder pedals.

10.  Headset is optional but you’ll need it if you want to talk to anyone.

11.  Place the microphone very close to your lips.  To talk to someone, just talk.  No need to push any buttons.

12.  Sterile cockpit.  Except for feeling ill or safety issues, please do not talk from engine start until we level off.  I’ll let you know when we are level.  Likewise, please refrain from talking from when we start our descent until we shut down the engine.

13.  When not sterile, please feel free to ask questions but try to stop talking whenever there is a radio transmission.

14.  If you are hot, cold, or feeling ill; please let me know.

15.  I will try to pick an altitude that is smooth but I may not be able to.

16.  Flight time should be about:

17.  Please let me know if you see any other aircraft that might get close to us.

18.  Feel free to eat (non-messy foods), drink, listen to music, or watch a movie during flight.

19.  You do not need to turn off you cell phone but it may wear your battery down more quickly than normal as it searches for cell towers.

20.  How good are you at clearing your ears?

Good Lord! Wouldn't it be quicker to drive . . lol?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 201er said:

Wow, that is longer than my entire flying checklist. 

No doubt.  I'm a lot older than you and my memory isn't what it used to be.  Why did I come into this room?  Oh ya.  We even have a checklist to make sure that everything is done to secure the plane and to make sure we have all our stuff with us.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

My audio panel has crew isolate switch. My wife and I call it the Susan Switch. Whenever we fly with her she never shuts up! When ATC says something I quietly flip the Susan Switch and do my business. When I'm done I flip it back and she is still yapping like we never went away.

Me too.  As a matter of fact, when we go on long trips, we download TV shows and movies to a tablet for Patty.  She sits in the back and watches the shows and I have the audio in isolate or crew so she won't hear ATC.  When she wants to talk to me she taps me on the shoulder and I go back to all.  When she is done she says, 'isolate me' and I do.

I'll also use the isolate switch with new passengers if I think an ATC call is for me.