Foreflight Icing Forecast

milotron

Anybody using the Foreflight icing layers for flight planning? I am looking at the US and Global models for my area and both are quite different for the same route/altitude. Both are predicting much more icing area than Navcanada weather. Not sure how realistic these predictions are. I have inadvertent de-icing, but also don't have a deathwish.

I use the Foreflight icing layers tab. I notice that it is more acurate ith the US model. Compare that to the GFA’s abd you get a pretty goid picture. If you compare the sliding scale on Foreflight Icing to the GFA it is pretty close to the freezing levels in the GFA. 

2 minutes ago, Vlakvark said:

I use the Foreflight icing layers tab. I notice that it is more acurate ith the US model. Compare that to the GFA’s abd you get a pretty goid picture. If you compare the sliding scale on Foreflight Icing to the GFA it is pretty close to the freezing levels in the GFA. 

I have forefight - but I don't see where there is an icing layer tab...can you help me find it please?

There are two presentations.  The first is on the main drop-down menu on the maps tab - the one where you select which charts you want displayed.  The right hand column of that tab shows an "Icing (US)" selection and an "Icing (Global)" selection.  See first pic below.

IMG_1111.thumb.PNG.4b9b56f6b6375ee5d66f9998fa55cdf2.PNG

Next, under the Imagery Tab (along the bottom) between "Documents" tab and "Flights" tab - look for either the "USA" or "Global" tab at the bottom of the types of images it will present to you.  You will find icing images prepared by the appropriate national weather forecasting agency.  See second pic below

IMG_1110.thumb.PNG.143cadcc47a51d7949a009ee36a4d5f4.PNG

This help?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

There are two presentations.  The first is on the main drop-down menu on the maps tab - the one where you select which charts you want displayed.  The right hand column of that tab shows an "Icing (US)" selection and an "Icing (Global)" selection.  See first pic below.

IMG_1111.thumb.PNG.4b9b56f6b6375ee5d66f9998fa55cdf2.PNG

Next, under the Imagery Tab (along the bottom) between "Documents" tab and "Flights" tab - look for either the "USA" or "Global" tab at the bottom of the types of images it will present to you.  You will find icing images prepared by the appropriate national weather forecasting agency.  See second pic below

IMG_1110.thumb.PNG.143cadcc47a51d7949a009ee36a4d5f4.PNG

This help?

If you look at the first photo. On the right above the red block that say glide. There is a tab that you can select for different altitudes. 

Fly safe guys and girls. 

27 minutes ago, Vlakvark said:

If you look at the first photo. On the right above the red block that say glide. There is a tab that you can select for different altitudes. 

That is because I have my glide distance activated but these pictures were taken on the ground.  The little red warning is that this function will not work below 200".  

2 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

That is because I have my glide distance activated but these pictures were taken on the ground.  The little red warning is that this function will not work below 200".  

Above the red glide warning is a box currently stating 11K, that is the slider he was referring to.

34 minutes ago, Vlakvark said:

Fly safe guys and girls. 

Oops.  Sorry.  I thought you were referring to something else.  I get it now.  The right hand slider allows the user to select the altitude of interest to determine the icing display for that altitude.

Senior moment......

A site (and app) I just started using for icing, wind, and cloud (tops/bases) is: www.windy.com    Andriod and iOS apps available as well from there selected app stores.

This has tons of layers that you can add-on and even has some aviation pre-selects. I am quite impressed and use it now along with the FF weather and prog charts.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:43 AM, Vlakvark said:

Fly safe guys and girls. 

My menu isn’t as complete as yours and I don’t have ice

7 minutes ago, amillet said:

I recently suggested to ForeFlight that it use the animated wind depiction like Windy uses instead of wind barbs.  They said they'd look into it

I'd like to see a cross sectional representation of a proposed route with icing/clouds/airspaces shown along the route. Something like the terrain /altitude planner shows in section view, but with the added data.

I suggested this a couple of years ago ( not with icing ) but they didn't seem interested. I will try again.

iain

• Like 3

10 hours ago, milotron said:

I'd like to see a cross sectional representation of a proposed route with icing/clouds/airspaces shown along the route. Something like the terrain /altitude planner shows in section view, but with the added data.

I suggested this a couple of years ago ( not with icing ) but they didn't seem interested. I will try again.

iain

I’d switch back to ForeFlight for that feature.

I think that whether you can see icing in Foreflight depends on your level of subscription.  I don't have it either, I just getting icing from other sources when I want it.  It is the same thing in XMWX, getting an icing forecast requires a more expensive subscription.  The "route tool" in aviationweather.gov's icing program is pretty good, but ice is weird, it is where you find it, not necessarily where it is predicted to happen.  You can be in what appear to be icing conditions, but if the clouds are too thin, you just don't collect ice.  On the other hand, you can fly through the top of a cloud where you would not expect ice and just get slammed.  Or you can fly through a low layer predicted to have ice but find that the temperature does not drop as you ascend through the layer, so no ice where you might have thought it would be.  Just not a risk to take though.  "Slam" ice comes on fast enough to overwhelm just about any system.

• Like 1

I think that whether you can see icing in Foreflight depends on your level of subscription.  I don't have it either, I just getting icing from other sources when I want it.  It is the same thing in XMWX, getting an icing forecast requires a more expensive subscription.  The "route tool" in aviationweather.gov's icing program is pretty good, but ice is weird, it is where you find it, not necessarily where it is predicted to happen.  You can be in what appear to be icing conditions, but if the clouds are too thin, you just don't collect ice.  On the other hand, you can fly through the top of a cloud where you would not expect ice and just get slammed.  Or you can fly through a low layer predicted to have ice but find that the temperature does not drop as you ascend through the layer, so no ice where you might have thought it would be.  Just not a risk to take though.  "Slam" ice comes on fast enough to overwhelm just about any system.

And don’t forget about speed differences. I can remember a couple of times trailing or leading planes in the same area. Flying at different speeds some would pick up ice, others wouldn’t.

Icing is indeed unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 hours ago, milotron said:

iain

Aerovie (iPad app) has this exact feature.  I have also suggested it to FF.   I am just too entrenched in FF subscriptions to change at this point. 

Brad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Aerovie (iPad app) has this exact feature.  I have also suggested it to FF.   I am just too entrenched in FF subscriptions to change at this point. 

Brad

I'll check it out. I also am committed to FF but not averse to more apps if costs are reasonable.

From the app store:

Thanks,

iain

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 10.46.34 AM.png