65 M20E Flap Actuator Overhaul

Place a call to Lasar...

They are the best for these type of challenges...

The system often requires being flushed out when the hydraulic fluid gels with age.  Springs and ball bearings have a tendency to run across the hangar floor to fall into a floor drain....

Some technique may be needed to put the bearings in place.  Grease acts as a good glue, and disssovles in brake fluid...

Setting up the flap retract speed is also important.  The maintenance manual covers how to set the time to retract on the ground, so it is right in the air...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 4:31 PM, Gunderbear said:

The actuator was leaking so i and my A&P put new gaskets in it, but the spring was bent and now the actuator doesn't work at all.  Any idea where to get a new spring or the actuator sent off to have overahauled?

Pump or actuator? It's a captured spring so I am confused as to how it got bent and why it is no longer working. I may have an extra in my hangar, but I would like to learn more about your scenario as the parts you have may be serviceable. Many, many mechanics are challenged by this system. Once it's well understood it seems almost elegant in its simplicity and reliability. I have worked through flap problems with a number of MSers. Post an image of the spring. I have a strong suspicion the unit was misassembled.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 7:49 PM, Shadrach said:

Pump or actuator? It's a captured spring so I am confused as to how it got bent and why it is no longer working. I may have an extra in my hangar, but I would like to learn more about your scenario as the parts you have may be serviceable. Many, many mechanics are challenged by this system. Once it's well understood it seems almost elegant in its simplicity and reliability. I have worked through flap problems with a number of MSers. Post an image of the spring. I have a strong suspicion the unit was misassembled.

It got bent because i attempted to put it together while it was attached to the plane.  Needless to say the spring and ball baring were not in the right place when I put it together and when it didn't work i took it apart to find the ball baring in the middle of the spring.  

• Confused 1

On 11/5/2017 at 9:24 PM, Gunderbear said:

It got bent because i attempted to put it together while it was attached to the plane.  Needless to say the spring and ball baring were not in the right place when I put it together and when it didn't work i took it apart to find the ball baring in the middle of the spring.  

This is not an explanation that I was not expecting.    There are three check valves - One two way check valve that utilizes a ball, spring and a cam actuated needle to unseat the valve for back-flow.  There are two one way spring and ball check valves that operate in opposite sides of the pump.    Assembling the pump requires that the springs, balls and seals are oriented properly.  It's a good idea to lightly stake the balls to the seals prior to assembly.

I still don't know how you managed to destroy a spring but I'm 90% sure they are unobtainable under the original part number.  I would call LASAR to see if they carry an alternative. If that fails, I am certain you can procure something close enough through Century or McMaster.

http://www.centuryspring.com/spring-measurement-guide

https://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=1a4z4wf

In the meantime it might be a good idea to remove the pump so that you and your maintenance professional can familiarize yourselves with its operation.  Once aware of how the fluid flows, it would be nearly impossible to misunderstand how to assemble.  I've probably rebuilt 5 or 6 of these and I would never attempt to do it with it mounted in the plane.

If all of the above fails, PM me and I'll do what I can to get you back in the air.

Edited by Shadrach

On 11/6/2017 at 9:24 AM, Shadrach said:

This is not an explanation that I was not expecting.    There are three check valves - One two way check valve that utilizes a ball, spring and a cam actuated needle to unseat the valve for back-flow.  There are two one way spring and ball check valves that operate in opposite sides of the pump.    Assembling the pump requires that the springs, balls and seals are oriented properly.  It's a good idea to lightly stake the balls to the seals prior to assembly.

I still don't know how you managed to destroy a spring but I'm 90% sure they are unobtainable under the original part number.  I would call LASAR to see if they carry an alternative. If that fails, I am certain you can procure something close enough through Century or McMaster.

http://www.centuryspring.com/spring-measurement-guide

https://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=1a4z4wf

In the meantime it might be a good idea to remove the pump so that you and your maintenance professional can familiarize yourselves with it's operation.  Once aware of how the fluid flows, it would be nearly impossible to misunderstand how to assemble.  I've probably rebuilt 5 or 6 of these and I would never attempt to do it with it mounted in the plane.

If all of the above fails, PM me and I'll do what I can to get you back in the air.

We have it removed.  I will call Laser and see what they have and get back with you.  Thanks again!

On 11/7/2017 at 2:03 PM, Gunderbear said:

We have it removed.  I will call Laser and see what they have and get back with you.  Thanks again!

Gunderbear, 

I came across a drawer of springs while cleaning out my shop. I will open up my spare pump tomorrow and compare them. 

IMG_5853.thumb.JPG.bad6dfd04d978d58bf7a1307e1013f9a.JPG

4 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

They are a little on the large side. I did not make it out to the hangar the other night as the temps dipped into the low twenties.  Hope to spend my afternoon there tomorrow.

Brrrrr rabbit.   It was 82 here today.   Impressive spring collection

Just now, Yetti said:

Brrrrr rabbit.   It was 82 here today.   Impressive spring collection

It was a brief cold snap. It'ss back into the 50's now. Best weather of the year for top down motoring!  I honestly have no idea how I ended up with those springs. I'm only 43, just imaginne the crap my kids will have to throw away if I make it another 40-50 yrs!

• Like 1