JPI900 Placement

SkipSS

I have a Mooney 201 that I've owned for a month and am getting a JPI900 installed this week or next.  I'm looking for recommendations on placement for those of you that use an engine management system already.  The unit can be installed portrait or landscape.  It appears to me that landscape is the better orientation, yet I believe portrait will fit better.

I've attached a picture of my panel.  To the right of the altimeter and above the 2nd glideslope is an empty hole with a blank panel over it.  Also available is the area to the right of that below the gear handle, but that would involve cutting a hole, I don't know if that is easy or not, or has to be done only at an avionics shop.  My AP is doing the installation and no avionics shop is at the field.  Below the spot under the gear handle is an inop Stormscope, and the center stack has a GTN650 and GTX345 along with KAP150 and 155 2nd radio.

Installing landscape in the open cut slot right of the altimeter might infringe on the altimeter, I don't know.  My thoughts were that the area under the gear was best and gave me future options to use the other spots for G5/Aspen potential options of moving instruments.

Thank you for your consideration.

Mooney panel.jpeg

There are quite a few discussions on this topic already that you can search up, including pics.

I have a J and installed a 900 as well. I had to go portrait due to space constraints but would've preferred landscape. Your blank spot would be perfect in a landscape orientation, IMO. I think it is vital to place it on the pilot side of the panel, especially the smaller 900 vs the larger options.

If you want to make a new hole, there is a 3 1/8" punch that can be used in place...I did that to enlarge my original 2-1/4" hole to the 3-1/8".

Someday I'll upgrade to a glass PFD of some sort, and make a custom panel and change to landscape orientation.1313d5537b8d3c0920d2dcaaef663e1e.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Here's what I'd do.

1. Move the CDI up one row.
  2. Put the EDM-900 in place of the stormscope which is very heavy anyway.
  3. Solve the problem of the square hole by using the recess kit for the EDM-900. It will be a much cleaner and nicer looking install.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 12.23.55 PM.png

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of thoughts:

If you are going to put it in the panel and later do upgrades to end up with a panel more like Paul's (@gsxrpilot), I would do what Terry (@N6758N) suggested solely to minimize the cost at this time. The width of the display will eat up 1/4" between the hole and the altimeter, so it should not intrude on the altimeter's space.

If you are going to put it in the panel and live with it for a few years, Paul's approach is a bit more invasive, but takes some weight out of the panel - never a bad thing. It would also put it in a landscape configuration, and you will have your secondary CDI/GS up a bit more in your scan if you use it in IFR.

Last question: You show to be located in Sarasota, FL, but say there is not an avionics shop on the field. Are you at Hidden River or Schwartz Farms and not at KSRQ? Otherwise, Sarasota Avionics would be right there with you.

Yes, i know I am copying Anthony's writing style.... ;)

• Like 1

Following my style... (thanks John!)

Makes it easier for me to understand... :)

My future JPI, will fill a spot where I have six instruments in a 3x2 arrangement (M20C style)... 

These are the instruments that run along the top of the 201's panel...  fuel, CHT, OilT, OilP....

Keep in mind... there are two other instrument manufacturers that use a round format that may be preferred by the pilot. EI and Insight...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regard,

-a-

42 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

A couple of thoughts:

If you are going to put it in the panel and later do upgrades to end up with a panel more like Paul's (@gsxrpilot), I would do what Terry (@N6758N) suggested solely to minimize the cost at this time. The width of the display will eat up 1/4" between the hole and the altimeter, so it should not intrude on the altimeter's space.

If you are going to put it in the panel and live with it for a few years, Paul's approach is a bit more invasive, but takes some weight out of the panel - never a bad thing. It would also put it in a landscape configuration, and you will have your secondary CDI/GS up a bit more in your scan if you use it in IFR.

Last question: You show to be located in Sarasota, FL, but say there is not an avionics shop on the field. Are you at Hidden River or Schwartz Farms and not at KSRQ? Otherwise, Sarasota Avionics would be right there with you.

Yes, i know I am copying Anthony's writing style.... ;)

Although I’m in Sarasota, the only hangar I could find was at Avon Park, home field of Phil Jiminez (PJ Aircraft Services) that did my pre-buy and is installing the JPI 900. No avionics shop here. 

I prefer it landscape with buttons on bottom. 

The airplane is on jacks for other upgrades and since the 900 is primary JPI is taking their time sending it to us.

I will use 900 more than 2nd glideslope and the upper position slightly better viewing.  Gear handle won’t be an issue as it will be in up position most of time  

I haven’t made the call to try and fix stormscope that has no brightness, doubt I will, but removing it doesn’t give me an option.  

I believe mechanic desires to put under gear handle and have it partially cover blank plate left of it, or spot right of altimeter, it won’t be very clean.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Here's what I'd do.

1. Move the CDI up one row.
  2. Put the EDM-900 in place of the stormscope which is very heavy anyway.
  3. Solve the problem of the square hole by using the recess kit for the EDM-900. It will be a much cleaner and nicer looking install.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 12.23.55 PM.png

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

I recommend this solution as well. Mine is mounted in front of the right seat which requires a warning light in front of me to be installed because of the distance from my line of sight. There are conditions where I will get an occasional red or yellow warning light that requires me to be distracted and verify it's not something critical (i.e., pulling throttle to idle on short final often yields a yellow oil pressure warning). 

Your installer will also likely remove all of those factory instruments at the top and need to make a panel to go in place of them. I don't know if the J has the same system as the F where an oil and fuel line run through the firewall and directly to the instruments in the panel, but we discovered my fuel pressure line was the original braided one from 1967 behind my panel. 

My advice is to buy a flush mount bracket and mount it horizontally. The 3 1/8 cutout is in the wrong spot and not far enough over to cut another one. Have your A&P cut a rectangle and mount the flush mount it will look very custom. If you upgrade your panel in the future you will want the flush mount bracket anyway so it’s money well spent. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SkipSS said:

I have a Mooney 201 that I've owned for a month and am getting a JPI900 installed this week or next.  I'm looking for recommendations on placement for those of you that use an engine management system already.  The unit can be installed portrait or landscape.  It appears to me that landscape is the better orientation, yet I believe portrait will fit better.

I've attached a picture of my panel.  To the right of the altimeter and above the 2nd glideslope is an empty hole with a blank panel over it.  Also available is the area to the right of that below the gear handle, but that would involve cutting a hole, I don't know if that is easy or not, or has to be done only at an avionics shop.  My AP is doing the installation and no avionics shop is at the field.  Below the spot under the gear handle is an inop Stormscope, and the center stack has a GTN650 and GTX345 along with KAP150 and 155 2nd radio.

Installing landscape in the open cut slot right of the altimeter might infringe on the altimeter, I don't know.  My thoughts were that the area under the gear was best and gave me future options to use the other spots for G5/Aspen potential options of moving instruments.

Thank you for your consideration.

Mooney panel.jpeg

Skip,

I have the exact same panel, minus the stormscope. I plan on putting a 900 in your open spot with a flush mount. It'll just have to go in upside down, so the buttons will be at the top. Below is a link to a poll I ran regarding the same question... 

Regards,

Jon

As I understand it, the JPI 900 unit is designed to mount in a standard 3 1/8" hole, yet it's full display is offset from the unit that fits in the hole.  So if one wants to mount it horizontally, it needs spare room on left side of unit, not right, and I would have to either mount it vertically or mount it upside down for it to overlap right.  My best choice here is to flush mount it, just right of the blank plate I have and have the round hole made into a rectangle hole and purchase the flush mount kit.

Those people that only have room right and want it horizontally need to install it upside down and have the buttons on the top rather than bottom and JPI logo upside down.

I don't think my AP will be able to move any instruments and take out the stormscope without having him put my airplane back together and have me fly it to another field with an avionics shop.

Thank you to all that contributed their thoughts.

I’ve not had time to consider the Stormscope options yet, I’ve been told, perhaps incorrectly, that once I send it in only option is a full overhaul, not just a repair here or there. At $1,200 I’d do that tomorrow. 

If you went with a recess mount on the JPI, you get it in horizontally below the gear handle. If you are planning additional panel work in the future, I would put it in portrait mode for now and move it later. Just make sure your leads are left long enough to move it.

As for the StormScope, I would look into getting it repaired. Pretty handy in your neck of the country. If it is not repairable, I would look into Wx-500 and display it on your 650.

2e99a5369185af8b7c8dfc73a64ada3d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Marauder said:

If you went with a recess mount on the JPI, you get it in horizontally below the gear handle. If you are planning additional panel work in the future, I would put it in portrait mode for now and move it later. Just make sure your leads are left long enough to move it.

As for the StormScope, I would look into getting it repaired. Pretty handy in your neck of the country. If it is not repairable, I would look into Wx-500 and display it on your 650.

2e99a5369185af8b7c8dfc73a64ada3d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bigfoot's leg.

I met with the AP today and held a JPI 900 flush mount bracket in the area right of the altimeter, it does not appear their is enough room to add that bracket without affecting the neighboring instruments. Won’t really know for sure till the glare shield is removed and see the clearance available. If he mounts it raised, not flush, he can punch a new 3 1/8” hole just right of blank hole at his shop, if we try flush mount it involves removal of all instruments and taking out the panel to an avionics shop to cut the rectangle flush mount hole. 

The raised installation is the easier way and still would be tight, and I think I am giving up on fitting the flush mount bracket.  If I second guess not installing it flush I can always try it at a later time. I have a large available area right of the radio stack in front of copilot, but I want it in front of me. Anyone think I have given upon flush mount too soon?

424B792B-E7A2-4EE3-8899-74090617A459.jpeg

What keeps somebody with skill from cutting the rectangle in place?

Dremel + thin aluminum sheet + aluminum chip/dust  catchers.... that kind of thing?

A company called Greenlee (?) has a whole line of tools for hydraulic punching out shapes in sheet metal.

PP thoughts only, I have seen this done in industrial machine shops for industrial control panels....

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

What keeps somebody with skill from cutting the rectangle in place?

Dremel + thin aluminum sheet + aluminum chip/dust  catchers.... that kind of thing?

A company called Greenlee (?) has a whole line of tools for hydraulic punching out shapes in sheet metal.

PP thoughts only, I have seen this done in industrial machine shops for industrial control panels....

Best regards,

-a-

Hard for me to question mechanic on this topic. The flush bracket itself adds size to the equation.  The unknown behind the panel will be resolved shortly. 

You want to keep the panel looking professional. 

Installing the 900 eliminates the need for the OEM gauges. I would go for a complete new pilot side panel. That way everything fits and looks great. It is not that much more and you will end up spending the money later on anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkipSS said:

Hard for me to question mechanic on this topic. The flush bracket itself adds size to the equation.  The unknown behind the panel will be resolved shortly. 

You need to do what you’re comfortable with.  I would cut the flush mount bracket to provide clearance where necessary and get the job done. Having said that I can see his concern especially considering the mounting screws and having limited access on three different sides.  Whatever you choose you are committed IMO unless you mount it vertically replacing the stormscope. 

18 minutes ago, SkipSS said:

Skip,

I would take this idea to the mechanic and ask why this idea wouldn't work...  he might have some ideas of what it would take.

It might cost an extra hour or two, or some rented tools... you get to decide on how much you want to spend.

Focus on what you want done.  Let the mechanic tell you how he can do it...

He might even have the greenlee tools.  But, If they don't fit in the tight space...

Working closely with your mechanic can result in the execution of some great ideas...

Thinking out loud... I have used the same shop for about 20 years...

Bring scaled pictures of what you want done... tape them in the location where you want them...

Let the pro give you some ideas...

Best regards,

-a-