Monroy tanks

peevee

1 hour ago, MisfitSELF said:

Didn't see it here, but if you don't mind me asking, about how much did you guys pay for the Monroe tanks and installation?

I would expect approximately $12,000  in 2006 I paid $10,000

56 minutes ago, Danb said:

I would expect approximately $12,000  in 2006 I paid $10,000

Thanks.  Anybody compare this to how much it would cost to get one of those removable bladder ferry tanks?  I'm looking at the potential of flying to Europe in the distant future and I'd want that extra 30 gals one way of another.  And to be honest, I'm trying to justify the Monroe's for that along with supporting my other uber long cross countries. 

I'm pretty much sold -- now, in the shorter term, do I spend the money on those or a GFC500?....1st world problems...

I paid about 15k for a complete reseal job at which time I also had LR tanks installed.  I see the invoice says 3k for the kit and 4k for the install, so 7k for the monroy tanks, but that might be a package price since I did it along with a reseal as everything is already opened up.

6 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

Didn't see it here, but if you don't mind me asking, about how much did you guys pay for the Monroe tanks and installation?

Mine were installed when new, but the gentleman's name is Monroy, not Monroe.  I love them.  It's as if I can fill the rear seats with gas instead of people (but not both).

4 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

I'm looking at the potential of flying to Europe in the distant future and I'd want that extra 30 gals one way of another. 

If you have a 64-gallon Mooney, you have plenty of fuel capacity to fly to Europe via the North Atlantic route.

• Like 1

Here's a nice leisurely trip by Nicholas Maddix in a 252 (without Monroy extended fuel I think).  Some stops he didn't even pick up fuel.

http://www.n97nm.com/2017/08/crossing-atlantic.html

A 252 with extended fuel could do it easily, probably a few other 'standard' Mooneys too?

I have a 60G Turtlepac for sale or rent if anyone needs one?

Aerodon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Back in 2014 Paul Beck at WeepNoMore quoted $4000 labor to install the long range tanks,  and $3000 for the parts and STC. $7000 total

17 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

That’s exactly what paul neck charged me about 5 years ago.

I did the install in 2017 with some BizJet engineer friends and would recommend giving the job to someone who wants it and not to a friend!

The kit is comprehensive and Jose was a star when we had questions, but unless you can play the double-jointed telescopic armed critter with eyes on thin stalks that see in the dark, then give it to someone else to do. And then there is the PRC which sticks to hair and skin better than sh*t to a blanket (and better than to aluminium it sometimes feels like!)

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:04 PM, Flash said:

My longest leg was Reykjavik to Wick, Scotland, about 638 nautical miles.

Conservatively (very conservatively since the water is very cold), my F will do 140kts at 11gph.  With stock fuel, I could make that leg with greater than an hour reserve... oktoberfest here I come!

How much headwind did you plan for on the westbound legs?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Conservatively (very conservatively since the water is very cold), my F will do 140kts at 11gph.  With stock fuel, I could make that leg with greater than an hour reserve... oktoberfest here I come!

Look at your alternate destinations for each leg! All very well planning a 600nm leg, but if the alternate is another 500nm what will you do if you need it? I normally plan around 170KIAS at 14gph so similar mpg, but you may be a bit more range limited. DO get a life-raft and survival suits if you want to raise the survival chance above zero (and check your insurance for SAR cover)

The winds have less of a prevailing westerly westerly element so far north, so just assume it *will* be a headwind for every leg, and then work out how much you can cope with before it becomes a 'no go'

Last year coming eastbound back from Osh, I chose to launch knowing I was going to pass to the north of a low with winds up to 70kt on the nose - the projected movement of the low was going to make the leg impossible for the following day(s). I landed with an hour reserve at Reykjavik - was still uncomfortable plotting planned vs. actual en-route!

Check airport opening hours (or, depending on how deep your pockets are, the cost of using an airport outside of opening hours).  If funds are limiting, do not spend any more time than you have to in Greenland. (Iceland isn't much cheaper though)

You will find some airports have fuel by the complete barrel only (this and a trip to China was the reason I put the extended tanks in originally) - if you've got space for 55USG but that last 5USG is going to cost you the same as the first 50, are you going to uplift the 50 or 55?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

If I remember correctly, the winds were never strong enough to affect my go-no go decisions. The Iceland to Greenland leg and the Greenland to Canada leg are quite short (500 NM or less). The weather information was pretty good; I certainly paid attention to the highs and lows on the weather charts to see what the winds would be: Clockwise rotation around a high, counterclockwise around a low. But I think the extra day I spent in Reykjavik on my way westbound was due to icing concerns rather than winds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Awful_Charlie said:

Look at your alternate destinations for each leg! All very well planning a 600nm leg, but if the alternate is another 500nm what will you do if you need it?

This is true and important, but the alternates are quite a bit closer than 500 NM if you fly CYFB-BGSF-BGKK-BIRK-EGPC. For instance, BGJN is only 134 NM from BGSF, and BGSF is 340 NM from BGKK. 340 NM isn't close, but it's probably OK after a flight of 397 NM. The key thing is doing your weather planning conservatively so that the alternates are if-a-gear-up-closes-the-runway alternates rather than the-weather-looks-iffy alternates. I wouldn't have flown west from BIRK in a headwind strong enough to keep me from making it the 730 NM to BGSF, but that would have been a strong headwind.

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, sekomel said:

hi there

anyone knows a place in europe can install 'monroy extra fuel tanks'? or is it easy to do it with a technicians that never done so far?

thanks a million in advance,

The modification can be done by any skilled maintainer.  Someone recently reported that Jose Monroy wasn’t making kits due to illness.

Clarence

You could even go from Reykjavik to Egilstadir, which leaves about 520nm to Wick with the possibility of a stop half way at Vagar. Check the insurance situation before you do anything else though. Whereas cover was available for relative peanuts just a few years ago, it has become almost prohibitively expensive, if available at all. 

so sorry to hear that..hope he will get rid of it soon..

14 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The modification can be done by any skilled maintainer.  Someone recently reported that Jose Monroy wasn’t making kits due to illness.

Clarence

thanks a million Clarence..

I just emailed, let's see..(I will update here)

by the way, I also found it at this website: 

https://www.emapa.aero/Monroy-Mooney-Fuel-Increase-Upgrade-p/mooney-fuel-increase-upgrade.htm

does anyone knows how much weight the kit itself? I will fly to US twice within June so I might bring the package with me (as international cargo is way expensive!)

4 hours ago, sekomel said:

thanks a million Clarence..

I just emailed, let's see..(I will update here)

by the way, I also found it at this website: 

https://www.emapa.aero/Monroy-Mooney-Fuel-Increase-Upgrade-p/mooney-fuel-increase-upgrade.htm

does anyone knows how much weight the kit itself? I will fly to US twice within June so I might bring the package with me (as international cargo is way expensive!)

The kit doesn’t weigh much, it’s a number of aluminum discs to seal existing holes in wing ribs, a pair of filler necks and caps, a pair of drain valves and a few cans of sealant.  I can’t see it weighing more than 5 pounds.

Clarence

it is great news than, thanks a million Clarence.

I will make order tonight.

final  question: does anyone have installation manual or something like that (I could not find on monroy website) so me and my engineer can start to work on it.

thanks again

seko