Hybrid Mooney?

flyboy0681

For those of you who have been following my posts about the repair to Six-One-Zulu, here is an update - along with a question.

A wing from a K model was located and purchased by the repair station doing the work. I was a bit elated because I thought that we would benefit from the larger fuel capacity of the K wing, but it doesn't look like it was meant to be.

The repair station reported that they can't find a DER that would approve of the mating of the K wing on a J body, and therefore, will be using only the needed components from the K wing to repair the damaged sections of the J wing.

A Google search resulted in only one case of a K wing being joined to a J model, by Air-Mods. I was wondering if anybody out there has had any experience with this unique situation and what could be done for an approval.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

For those of you who have been following my posts about the repair to Six-One-Zulu, here is an update - along with a question.

A wing from a K model was located and purchased by the repair station doing the work. I was a bit elated because I thought that we would benefit from the larger fuel capacity of the K wing, but it doesn't look like it was meant to be.

The repair station reported that they can't find a DER that would approve of the mating of the K wing on a J body, and therefore, will be using only the needed components from the K wing to repair the damaged sections of the J wing.

A Google search resulted in only one case of a K wing being joined to a J model, by Air-Mods. I was wondering if anybody out there has had any experience with this unique situation and what could be done for an approval.

I know that laser has done that kind of thing.

4 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Cal Hensley died last year. Maybe that's who you are thinking about.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/heraldtribune/obituary.aspx?pid=185435687

Nope. Mooneyland was on my mind, that was Richard Zephro. My bad . . .

Call Coy! (How'd you get that Harley up on the high dive, Coy???--nope, different Coy, Mr. Jacobs ain't from Hahira.)  :P

Edited by Hank

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Nope. Mooneykand was in my mind, that was Richard Zephro. My bad . . .

Call Coy! (How'd you get that Harley up on the high dive, Coy???--nope, different Coy, Mr. Jacobs ain't from Hahira.)  :P

Richard Zephro died 5-1/2 years ago. http://www.mooneyland.com/richard-zef-zephro/

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Wow, time flies! It's been very busy for me, moved 600 miles, changed airports three times, changed jobs twice, and lived three places (apartment, condo, house). And that's just the last 3-1/2 years . . .

4 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Take it To air mods. They're the best shop for that kind of work anyways. What kind of shop buys a wing without first determining they can use it?

Seriously. They are one of the only places I would consider when doing this kind of work. At least call them and see if they can help you with the DER side of things to use the K wing, I think they've done it once before as already mentioned. 

Just now, N6758N said:

Seriously. They are one of the only places I would consider when doing this kind of work. At least call them and see if they can help you with the DER side of things to use the K wing, I think they've done it once before as already mentioned. 

Already contacted Dave. No response yet.

I've contacted Don Maxwell and Dave at Air-mods and can't get  either one of them to respond back. Maybe I should change my brand of deodorant.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Can you link the thread that explains what happened to Six-One-Zulu? I've searched, but I can't seem to find anything relating to you or the the plane that give me any background.

3 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Can you link the thread that explains what happened to Six-One-Zulu? I've searched, but I can't seem to find anything relating to you or the the plane that give me any background.

The saga starts on page 7 of the Hurricane Irma post

On 10/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, flyboy0681 said:

It's a shame that Kosola and Associates is no more. They were in Albany, GA and were a stand up DER firm. Does anyone know if Harold Kosola does any consulting work since selling the firm? The K wing to J fuselage seems to present little in the way of additional challenges. It seems rediculous to tear two wings apart when an undamaged factory built unit is available. The fuel system (Bendix vs Continental) and capacity are different, other than that, I'm trying to consieve of the differences.

• 2 months later...

You need a FSDO that understands that tearing a wing apart is not smart. Either a good J wing or a FSDO that will work with you. Some FAA FSDO’s are in the drag your feet mentality and not helpful. There are many that have great maintenance inspectors that will work with you. You might need to move the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Mjknick@gmail.com said:

You need a FSDO that understands that tearing a wing apart is not smart. Either a good J wing or a FSDO that will work with you. Some FAA FSDO’s are in the drag your feet mentality and not helpful. There are many that have great maintenance inspectors that will work with you. You might need to move the project.

After nearly three months, the work is almost complete.

• Like 1