Strange G1000 Behavior Following Software Upgrade/GTX345R Install

I am seeing some strange G1000 behavior following my GTX345R install and G1000 software upgrade.  In retrospect, I should have done these things separately so that troubleshooting would be easier.  Most commonly, I get  the "AHRS GPS - AHRS1 not receiving backup GPS Information".  That seems to occur at least once per flight.  But on my last flight, I saw several different messages, and synthetic vision flipped on and off.  I was able to resolve it by resetting the GPS 1 and GPS2 circuit breakers (when in doubt, reboot it?!).  Video and pictures attached.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

IMG_20170909_102954.jpg

IMG_20171028_180806.jpg

IMG_20171028_180810.jpg

IMG_20171028_180811.jpg

VID_20171028_181235.mp4

I saw that AHRS1 message a few times right after I did the upgrade to 0401.034 WAAS software, but it was always just on the ground and cleared itself up as the GPS satellites came online. I would suspect that if you’re having problems with one of your new GIA63Ws that could also cause your SynVis to toggle off. But it seems like you’ll need to go back to your avionics shop for some troubleshooting.

• Like 1

I had a similar thing happen after my upgrade, probably about a month after (30+ hours or so).  It started with that same ‘traffic device has failed” message intermittently then progressed to losing the heading info.   After a little trouble shooting we replaced the magnometer and the problem was solved.   Check your system status screen on the auxiliary page of the MFD and see if that helps you at all. 

It would be really unusual if your magnometer quit right after the upgrade, too  

Brad

7B45665E-E6F3-4DF2-9B2F-88ED477539AD.thumb.jpeg.3953e4c0641fbf83593182d223c74944.jpeg

Edited by BradB
  • Like 1

A bit of generic (and therefore potentially useless) advice: check the pins in the connector to the screen unit.

At my annual we were troubleshooting the Tach fluctuating and found a bent pin. Just delivered my O3 to the avionics shop for the WAAS/ADSB upgrade and got a long lecture on the thin pins used by Garmin and how all shops hate them and how often they are bent.

So maybe the avionics tech wasn't careful enough getting all the pins back in the right recepticles of the connectors?

Robert

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 4:49 PM, MIm20c said:

200 TAS at 8k!  Can’t help with the software issue but I’d sure like the extra 50kts cruise speed. 

Hah...I normally don't push her that hard.  I had a buddy with me and was showing him what she could do.  I think I was burning about 20gph in this picture.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:58 AM, N6758N said:

@aggiepilot04 I Love the Tail Number! I'm guessing 512 for the Austin area code and AG for aggies?

You got it.  I've had the Acclaim for about a year, and you're one of two people that have made that connection.

Thanks everyone else for the info and suggestions.  I will follow up here once I figure out what's going on.

• Like 1

I just had the G1000 WAAS GTX345 upgrade done, and I see a AHRS GPS message on the ground start, but it clears once the GPS's sync.

I did have a consistent path failed, which was traced to a shorted  GIA-GTX345 RS422 line.  The tech had pinched the signal to the shield, and it tested ok in the hangar, but moving the plane onto the ramp jiggled the connector just enough.

Even though the line was marked bad (X) in the maintainence page, the system still showed the ADSB in traffic,(and the aux status page showed Green (OK),  so the line was transmitting data, but the GIA warned that it wasn't to full spec.

If you can replicate the issue on the ground, switch the PFD into maintenance mode and look at the status of all of the communication connections, one of them should be marked (X).   Then check the pins/wiring associated with that interface. 

Edited by PaulM
  • Like 1