My name is Adam. I'm a pilot, A&P, and host of an aviation podcast for aircraft owners. I'm looking for a Mooney owner that is interested in doing a short audio interview to share their experiences about what it's like to own a Mooney for an upcoming podcast episode.

We typically cover topics such as cost of ownership, maintenance, and operations with the hope of helping future aircraft owners get the information they need to make smarter decisions with their aircraft. We cover all types of aircraft on our show, from the Grumman Yankee to the Cessna Citation, but our listeners want to learn more about the Mooney!

The interview will be featured on an upcoming podcast episode that will appear in iTunes, Stitcher, Sound Cloud, YouTube, Facebook, and our website. Learn more about the show by Googling Airplane Intel Podcast.

We can record an audio interview via Skype, or if you live in central Florida, we can put together a video interview featuring you and your airplane.

If you're interested, let me know.

Just a though, Mooneys are a broad spectrum of machines - might want to try to get someone with an early bird, like a C or E and then someone with a long body, to get a sense of the range of the machines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, gsengle said:

Just a though, Mooneys are a broad spectrum of machines - might want to try to get someone with an early bird, like a C or E and then someone with a long body, to get a sense of the range of the machines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or just a J/K that represents em all 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mooney aircraft/owners are similar yet massively different in many ways.  On one end of the spectrum you have neglected planes selling for 20k and on the other owners that budget more than that for yearly operating expenses.  Some pilots like myself are just learning the ropes while others have 1000’s of hours flying very advanced aircraft.  

I really enjoy the spectrum on this forum and in person. 

6 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Mooney aircraft/owners are similar yet massively different in many ways.  On one end of the spectrum you have neglected planes selling for 20k and on the other owners that budget more than that for yearly operating expenses.  Some pilots like myself are just learning the ropes while others have 1000’s of hours flying very advanced aircraft.  

I really enjoy the spectrum on this forum and in person. 

Yet we're all flying the same wing, the same bouncy landing gear, same door/baggage (not counting one or two new ones built), same proper tail, same four seats. Sure there are some small differences in rear seat leg room, costs, and hp up front, but they all have more in ommon than with any other airplane!

They only range from 180-310hp, 150-200kias top speed. Just cause it's a huge premium to go a tiny bit faster, doesn't make them all that different.

• Like 2

Tell us more about your audience?

Do they like Speed, Efficiency and Safety?

Do they like affordability?

Do they prefer a factory built four seater that is faster than the others in its class?

Are They in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 80s,...are they married with kids, or retired empty nesters with friends?

We have a few of each...in these categories...

Is your audience new to flying, have decades of experience, pro-pilots, or ordinary fly on weekends kind of people?

Do you have people that are willing to work hard to improve a 40 year old flying machine to stay on a budget, or do have people with the ability to leave the maintenance to other professionals?

Do you have people that fly for a living, and fly their own plane on their weekends... What else do they fly, commercial jets, military helicopters, corporate planes, gyrocopters, seaplanes... we have those people too... We also have CFIs, A&Ps, ATCers...

We even have people that have learned to fly in a retractable, high performance, airplane.  Not sure why they do it, but they prefer their Mooney over a trainer... there are a few around here...

Some of our pilots with the most interesting stories have flown around the world, flown above the Arctic Circle, flown around the Carribean, Central America, and stopped in Cuba... Some have donated flight time to various charities to help patients get to medical treatments, and animals get to their new forever homes... 

Some pilots flew to see the eclipse, and took friends along... 

Do they like type specific fly ins?   We have several get togethers around the country that may be of interest...  some are more impromptu then others... some Mooney fly-ins take a year for people to organize...

Mooney's aren't hard to fly.  And there is type specific training available to fill in the areas that are better to learn than to discover? We have an organization or two that focuses on 'bettering the breed' and other pilot specific training offered through MAPA...  around here, you may also find a monthly e-publication that is Mooney specific.

These ideas  come to the mind of a Mooney Private Pilot. They don't necessarily represent anyone else here at MooneySpace. I came here to learn about various Mooney models prior to selecting my second Mooney... I learned a lot from some really great and interesting people...

I prefer speed and efficiency to go with the strong safety record...how about you?

Go Mooney!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

53 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Tell us more about your audience?

Do they like Speed, Efficiency and Safety?

Do they like affordability?

Do they prefer a factory built four seater that is faster than the others in its class?

Are They in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 80s,...are they married with kids, or retired empty nesters with friends?

We have a few of each...in these categories...

Is your audience new to flying, have decades of experience, pro-pilots, or ordinary fly on weekends kind of people?

Do you have people that are willing to work hard to improve a 40 year old flying machine to stay on a budget, or do have people with the ability to leave the maintenance to other professionals?

Do you have people that fly for a living, and fly their own plane on their weekends... What else do they fly, commercial jets, military helicopters, corporate planes, gyrocopters, seaplanes... we have those people too... We also have CFIs, A&Ps, ATCers...

We even have people that have learned to fly in a retractable, high performance, airplane.  Not sure why they do it, but they prefer their Mooney over a trainer... there are a few around here...

Some of our pilots with the most interesting stories have flown around the world, flown above the Arctic Circle, flown around the Carribean, Central America, and stopped in Cuba... Some have donated flight time to various charities to help patients get to medical treatments, and animals get to their new forever homes... 

Some pilots flew to see the eclipse, and took friends along... 

Do they like type specific fly ins?   We have several get togethers around the country that may be of interest...  some are more impromptu then others... some Mooney fly-ins take a year for people to organize...

Mooney's aren't hard to fly.  And there is type specific training available to fill in the areas that are better to learn than to discover? We have an organization or two that focuses on 'bettering the breed' and other pilot specific training offered through MAPA...  around here, you may also find a monthly e-publication that is Mooney specific.

These ideas  come to the mind of a Mooney Private Pilot. They don't necessarily represent anyone else here at MooneySpace. I came here to learn about various Mooney models prior to selecting my second Mooney... I learned a lot from some really great and interesting people...

I prefer speed and efficiency to go with the strong safety record...how about you?

Go Mooney!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

You pose some good questions - and the answer is that our audience is fairly diverse. Most of them want to know what it takes to own an airplane. We've covered a wide-range of airplanes in our podcast, but our most popular (so far) is the Cessna 310. We think that the Mooney could be even more popular because it's sort-of in between a Cessna 182 and 310. In fact, a majority of our customers (in our prebuy business) have chosen Mooney's as their aircraft of choice. I think the real thing that people want to know is dollars and cents to help them decide on a make and model based on budget and mission. Most are private pilots with an instrument rating that want to be challenged by a complex/high(er)-performance single, without the costs of a twin or turbine. Some fly for fun, while others use their airplanes for personal business and corporate operations. There's not doubt that the Mooney itself is diverse - many makes and models to fit many missions. Thus, it would be interesting to hear from everyone to find out the specifics (in terms of costs, maintenance, performance, etc.) of owning the different Mooneys. 

Edited by Airplane_Intel

There is a file posted around here that goes year by year covering all the variations of Mooneys built...A thru TN at least...

All are four seaters. Most are built and maintained to fly IFR.  Engines vary from 180hp with a carburetor to 200hp with fuel injection. Newer models include turbochargers.  The Higher powered models go from 260 to 310hp and can have TNs on them...

Some of the coolest planes have new glass instrument panels.  Some of the older instrument panels have affordable instrumentation with the skills of WAAS navigation...

Ultimate Moonies Go With a form of turbo, anti-ice system and built in O2.  Best way to go far with less than perfect unpredictable weather...

Premium Mooneys go with full glass cockpits, FIKI, O2 and Air conditioning.... twin speeds with single finances...

Mooney, still made in America!  :)

Good luck with your podcast...

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

There is a file posted around here that goes year by year covering all the variations of Mooneys built...A thru TN at least...

All are four seaters. Most are built and maintained to fly IFR.  Engines vary from 180hp with a carburetor to 200hp with fuel injection. Newer models include turbochargers.  The Higher powered models go from 260 to 310hp and can have TNs on them...

Some of the coolest planes have new glass instrument panels.  Some of the older instrument panels have affordable instrumentation with the skills of WAAS navigation...

Ultimate Moonies Go With a form of turbo, anti-ice system and built in O2.  Best way to go far with less than perfect unpredictable weather...

Premium Mooneys go with full glass cockpits, FIKI, O2 and Air conditioning.... twin speeds with single finances...

Mooney, still made in America!  :)

Good luck with your podcast...

Best regards,

-a-

Many thanks for the info and your support!