The wing receptacle for the tie down ring was now completely stripped out and the ring basically just falls out when inserted.  Does anyone has come across this and knows how to repair it. 

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

You need a Heli-Coil. Its an insert, threaded on the outside to screw into (a new, larger hole in) your wing, and threaded on the inside for your tie down ring.

I don't remember the tie down thread size. Your best bet, if Clarence, sabremech or someone doesn't post it, is to walk into your local industrial supply shop, set it on the counter and ask which heli-coil you need. Just don't mention "airplane"! (It frightens some people--tell 'em its a movable tie down ring to fasten things to a trailer.)

They should know, or the package should say, what size hole to drill. They are simple to install. But because you'll be drilling into your plane, better involve your A&P!

• Like 1

Or you can buy the laser jack/tie down points.  Open up the wing panel get a nut grind off part of it and screw it all together.  Replace access cover.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ross Woodley said:

The wing receptacle for the tie down ring was now completely stripped out and the ring basically just falls out when inserted.  Does anyone has come across this and knows how to repair it. 

It should be a 5/16-18 NC thread.  The wing fitting is about 1/4" thick so it will require a short Helicoil.  Your maintainer may have a Helicoil set as it's common to may engine studs.

Clarence 

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

Or you can buy the laser jack/tie down points.  Open up the wing panel get a nut grind off part of it and screw it all together.  Replace access cover.

We did this, of course I never use my tie-downs. Of the rare occasion I overnight somewhere, I just tie to the main gear truss

The tie down does not go thru the spar so using a tie down ring with longer threads with a nut on top applied thru the access panel takes a few minutes.

I have been meaning to do that for a while, using the Lasar jacks with a bolt on top via an access panel. Silly question however. Any risk of dissimilar metal corrosion between the Home Depot bolt and the wing or am I just showing my complete lack of understanding of it?

I had the same problem with my C. The @Yetti solution was spot on. I even modded it a bit further by using a piece of all-thread with stacked nuts on the bottom as well. That gave me a built in GoPro camera mount.