Look what showed up at our field today

jackn

It's a snazzy, eye catching paint scheme, but in this part of the country it would be somewhat w-a-r-m most of the year. We were 75° yesterday afternoon, and the forecast is for possible frost tomorrow night. A week ago it was still almost 90° . . .

A new Acclaim would be too much excitement, and too much fun!

1 hour ago, M20S Driver said:

No thanks,  Mooney....   The paint and lack of a parachute (we already had a couple of a lengthy discussion on this ) kill it for me.

I'm sure if you pony up for a new one, Mooney will paint it however you like.

As for the parachute, Dan didn't need one when he landed in a field unconscious. Even if he'd had one, he couldn't have pulled it. What happens to the Chute-birds when they come down without the chute and the pilot unconscious or disabled?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hank said:

I'm sure if you pony up for a new one, Mooney will paint it however you like.

As for the parachute, Dan didn't need one when he landed in a field unconscious. Even if he'd had one, he couldn't have pulled it. What happens to the Chute-birds when they come down without the chute and the pilot unconscious or disabled?

Huh? One guy lands in a field in the middle of nowhere and suddenly no one needs a chute? That's quite a leap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, peevee said:

Huh? One guy lands in a field in the middle of nowhere and suddenly no one needs a chute? That's quite a leap.

Everyone has never needed a chute. Only a few chute pulls wouldn't have been landable without it, survivability at that point is due to aircraft construction. I've seen video of Cirri arriving badly and pretty much disintegrating in a shower of tiny carbon fiber fragments, that's not survivable.

So I guess I've talked myself around to the position that some planes need chutes, but Mooney isn't one of them . . . . They are built to be safe.

It's up to each of us to fly safely. Then we won't find out how safe the airplane is or isn't. I've read enough to know that Mooneys are safe planes. I've also read enough to know that accidents happen. But I still consciously try to fly safely.

Don't let that chute enable you to make flights that you wouldn't without its comforting presence; that's not safe behavior.

• Like 1

I think the Mets idea is a good one. If so, I'll bet the team transport also lacks a chute. 

I can't go with the Mets point because I'm a die hard Yankee fan but if I took it to a Boise State Broncos college football game I could go with that. But you're spot on the Mets team plane probably doesn't have a chute, good call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cirrus have terrible seats, full on electric failure would be tough.  But most of all they really suck to hand fly.  Otherwise an awesome plane.  They run Mooney J speed with Mooney efficiency LOP (normally aspirated).  I have about 200hrs in a SR22 and man they suck to hand fly. 

The parachute, pulling it and collecting the insurance.  Let the debate ensue. 

• Like 2

We do lots of Mooneys where the wing tip touches down.  Puts a wrinkle fore and aft about where aileron and flap join.  Replace the second skin, beef up the spar and stringers and go fly.   We also did a Cirrus wit the same problem. Wrinkles the rear floorboard and Cirrus charges thousands for a piece of paper telling you the approved method of repair. Of course you are into thousands and thousands to do repairs to the wing and an expensive  trip to an approved dealer for his  blessing.  And of course everyone is familiar with the joke of Cirrus brakes and what is required if you get on them while landing.  Built more like a boat than an airplane.  But of course there is the parachute so some will be suckered into overlooking the side............

1 hour ago, acpartswhse said:

We do lots of Mooneys where the wing tip touches down.  Puts a wrinkle fore and aft about where aileron and flap join.  Replace the second skin, beef up the spar and stringers and go fly.   We also did a Cirrus wit the same problem. Wrinkles the rear floorboard and Cirrus charges thousands for a piece of paper telling you the approved method of repair. Of course you are into thousands and thousands to do repairs to the wing and an expensive  trip to an approved dealer for his  blessing.  And of course everyone is familiar with the joke of Cirrus brakes and what is required if you get on them while landing.  Built more like a boat than an airplane.  But of course there is the parachute so some will be suckered into overlooking the side............

And you know, the fact that it was designed 20 years ago and not 60. And it's more comfortable and better equipped and has modern avionics.

I don't see many j models truing out at 190 knots either.

Oh and dual alternators and no vacuum system.

Oh, forgot dual ahrs and screens that run reversionary mode.

I love it when people spend 400k on an airplane and thousands a year on fixed cost and brag about saving a few gallons an hour like they're saving real amounts of money.

And you know, the fact that it was designed 20 years ago and not 60. And it's more comfortable and better equipped and has modern avionics.
I don't see many j models truing out at 190 knots either.
Oh and dual alternators and no vacuum system.
Oh, forgot dual ahrs and screens that run reversionary mode.
I love it when people spend 400k on an airplane and thousands a year on fixed cost and brag about saving a few gallons an hour like they're saving real amounts of money.

20 vs 60 is meaningless. So was the p51. Pinnacle of piston single tech. You can get same avionics in either. Why ya still here if it’s so lame?

20 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Why ya still here if it’s so lame?

Because somewhere in this Great Land of ours a woefully forlorn bridge is missing its troll.  And, unfortunately, he wandered our way.  If you refrain from feeding him, he might, just might, find his way back home.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1