A beautiful airplane

PTK

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Corrosion free!

No....

Well I don't know about the 787, but...

I had a Diamond DA40 and...it developed corrosion in the wing!  There is a mesh work inside the wing, underneath the layers of carbon to wick static electricity.  And they used a cheap hardware that has cheap screws that are visible on the outside.  And dissimilar metals...which became a conduit for corrosion.  So bubbles developed underneath the paint and the only cure is to "scarf" (the term the factory used) the carbon layers and lay-up some new material.  My repair was caught early and cost roughly 2k for a patch the size of my hand, but reading in that forum I saw some people were being hit with 10 and 20k jobs!  So replacing a corroded piece of hardware costs 10 times as much if it is buried underneath the carbon.

Scarving is mechanical process to remove thin layers of a material. A lathe is a typical scarving process... as is a thickness planer....

A small version of the thickness planer is just a plane...

Using a plane to scarve off thin layers of your plane's surfaces can get pretty expensive...

Taking it to the Corvette shop wouldn't cost nearly as much. For some reason known....

A scarved polymer product that we are most familiar with is Teflon tape. Teflon tape starts out as a giant roll, that gets scarved down and slit to width at the same time.

Sometimes the word skived is used...

• scarfed
  • scarved
  • skived

All the same process of using a plane to remove thin layers. Except, the focus is often on the removed layers in place of what is left behind...

+1 on that awesome plane's awesome HP to weight ratio...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2