Your Favorite Ride with your Favorite Plane

50 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Lance I love your bike!  Back in '05  I test rode a 1951 G3 that Bob Raber had for sale in his shop.  It was a beautiful bike, but I remember it made my 73 Triumph feel modern.  I like the way a big single pushes you down the road.  I was a bit challenged by the Burman gear box. The pattern was the reverse of my Triumph and even when I got it right, I my 1st to 2nd shift often end up back in neutral rather 2nd. 

You truly have a beautiful machine there.  I love the polished tank with black overlay, beautiful workmanship.

Thank you very much Ross.  It's a G80, 500cc.  I also have a '49 G80S that's half restored (when will I finish that one...).  That's the first year of the swingarm / rear suspension for Matchless and also the year they had their first post-war vertical 500cc twin (G9).  Tank is chrome plated but the gearbox and mag drive covers are polished aluminum.  I went quite nutty with the restoration to get as exact as original as possible. The only deviation that a purist would see is that the rim center paint and the tank paint would have been red.  I preferred the badge engineered AJS version of using black.  ;)  Every single piece was gone through and all engine internals are new or NOS.  Not one "bodge" in this rebuild.  Had to get British taps/dies as well as all correct hardware to match, and then had them cadmium plated.  Spokes are stainless, but used a trick of bead blasting them to have a cadmium plated look.  

You're right about the gearbox.  You hear about a 'neutral' between each gear but as long as I'm deliberate and not too fast shifting, it isn't an issue.  Think it was around '76 where internationally all moved to the left foot shift.  Not only is it on the other side, but the gearing is upside down (one up, three down).  I used to have a bunch of bikes (now I have a Mooney) of which were a mix of left side shift, right side standard shift, and then the Matchless right side upside down.  Used to ride them back to back on the same day when getting them all inspected.  Talk about a brain/foot exercise.

It's not the fastest (top speed 85mph but I don't have a death wish), but plenty fast to enjoy all the back roads.  Used to have a '64 T120 UK spec Bonneville so I know that comparison.  It is so well balanced that it handles great barely moving or at speed.  And surprisingly comfortable like riding along in a chair.  But, with that rigid rear I'm definitely avoiding big potholes.

Shares at least two things with Mooney...magneto ignition, and excellent gas mileage.  Taking it easy and lumbering around can see 75mpg!  

Anyway, thanks again.  

Regards,

Lance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothin' special.

Just my inexpensive, reliable car (that needs a bath) and my inexpensive, reliable airplane (that also needs a bath).

IMG_1403.jpg

(BTW, I do realize that there is only one person on this site who could possibly hit 'like' for this car/airplane combination.  Everybody else is probably yawning.)

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Nothin' special.

Just my inexpensive, reliable car (that needs a bath) and my inexpensive, reliable airplane (that also needs a bath).

IMG_1403.jpg

(BTW, I do realize that there is only one person on this site who could possibly hit 'like' for this car/airplane combination.  Everybody else is probably yawning.)

Hey, I drive a Civic. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Nothin' special.

IMG_1403.jpg

Hey, that looks just like my wife's 2011 Altima! We share the same model Mooney, too, but mine has rectangular back windows and a cool paint job . . . Photo tomorrow, when the sun will be shining and around 80°..

I drive a Malibu...for work...because it’s free.  Life is too short to fly slow planes and drive econo-boxes.  They get you to point B, They likely are easy on fuel...and less expensive to insure....

NOPE.  Unlike airplanes you don’t have to be wealthy to own an automobile that is a pleasure to drive as well as easy on the eyes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

Thank you very much Ross.  It's a G80, 500cc.  I also have a '49 G80S that's half restored (when will I finish that one...).  That's the first year of the swingarm / rear suspension for Matchless and also the year they had their first post-war vertical 500cc twin (G9).  Tank is chrome plated but the gearbox and mag drive covers are polished aluminum.  I went quite nutty with the restoration to get as exact as original as possible. The only deviation that a purist would see is that the rim center paint and the tank paint would have been red.  I preferred the badge engineered AJS version of using black.  ;)  Every single piece was gone through and all engine internals are new or NOS.  Not one "bodge" in this rebuild.  Had to get British taps/dies as well as all correct hardware to match, and then had them cadmium plated.  Spokes are stainless, but used a trick of bead blasting them to have a cadmium plated look.  

You're right about the gearbox.  You hear about a 'neutral' between each gear but as long as I'm deliberate and not too fast shifting, it isn't an issue.  Think it was around '76 where internationally all moved to the left foot shift.  Not only is it on the other side, but the gearing is upside down (one up, three down).  I used to have a bunch of bikes (now I have a Mooney) of which were a mix of left side shift, right side standard shift, and then the Matchless right side upside down.  Used to ride them back to back on the same day when getting them all inspected.  Talk about a brain/foot exercise.

It's not the fastest (top speed 85mph but I don't have a death wish), but plenty fast to enjoy all the back roads.  Used to have a '64 T120 UK spec Bonneville so I know that comparison.  It is so well balanced that it handles great barely moving or at speed.  And surprisingly comfortable like riding along in a chair.  But, with that rigid rear I'm definitely avoiding big potholes.

Shares at least two things with Mooney...magneto ignition, and excellent gas mileage.  Taking it easy and lumbering around can see 75mpg!  

Anyway, thanks again.  

Regards,

Lance

It’s a work of art Lance.  You have moving art that likely sounds as unique and awesome as it looks.  Agree with Ross LOVE the tank...and the spokes are a close second.  Just stunning.  A true labor of love.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

Ahhhh...my mistresses, how I do love them and how wifey hates them. 

The Mistress: N5976Q '66 M20E Super 21 (pretty fast)

The Petite Mistress: '15 GLA45 AMG (0➔60 4.2s)

The two play so well together...

59fd1726af473_GLA45N5976Q.thumb.JPG.0a2cc717c396810e03b02e578958ae0c.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Nothin' special.

No worries, my daily driver is a '89 BMW 325iC... bought it at a junkyard, it was going to be crushed.  Fun little ongoing reliable project, like my Mooney.

20170925_172005.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

It’s a work of art Lance.  You have moving art that likely sounds as unique and awesome as it looks.  Agree with Ross LOVE the tank...and the spokes are a close second.  Just stunning.  A true labor of love.  Enjoy.

Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

On 11/3/2017 at 10:28 PM, Wildhorsesracing said:

No worries, my daily driver is a '89 BMW 325iC... bought it at a junkyard, it was going to be crushed.  Fun little ongoing reliable project, like my Mooney.

20170925_172005.jpg

My first E30 was an 85 318is I bought at auction for $3k. Second was an 89 325is with 185,000 on the clock. Both were fun, but the later car was an absolute joy. That 2.5L six coupled with the getrag five speed about as good as it got at the time. Whenever I see one, I always wonder if it was really as good as I remember.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Shadrach said:

My first E30 was an 85 318is I bought at auction for $3k. Second was an 89 325is with 185,000 on the clock. Both were fun, but the later car was an absolute joy. That 2.5L six coupled with the getrag five speed about as good as it got at the time. Whenever I see one, I always wonder if it was really as good as I remember.

e30s are now cult classics!! The value on rolling chassis has gone nuts. Not exactly the next 911 but still a solid car!! 

-Matt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB65E said:

e30s are now cult classics!! The value on rolling chassis has gone nuts. Not exactly the next 911 but still a solid car!! 

-Matt

Always liked ‘em a lot.  When my wife and I were recently married and made our first move to Indy in ‘86 I gave a deposit of $500 (we didn’t have crap for money back then) on a low mileage 325is coupe.  Red with saddle leather interior.  Kel said “We can’t swing this” and I forfeited the deposit.  I occasionally have nightmares on that scenario, but hasn’t made the luster for the vehicle tarnish...sigh...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Manual or Automatics?  Not that I would judge (snicker). Nice Jim

T5 manual naturally. It was fun to buy it I met the fleet sales rep and we ordered it directly from the factory including close ratios in the box and a lower ratio rear end. Got a call from Dearborn MI when they started to make it and again when it was finished and loaded onto the train to be shipped out to me. Other than re program on the CU the motor is stock and it would spank many cars that should be way faster. I really think they like to build special orders not just dealer cars.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2017 at 1:54 AM, Shadrach said:

I have raced in an E30 a few times over the years, they are a lot of fun to drive.  I even built one ten(10) years ago so that my teenage daughters could get their racing license in it.  They were featured in an article in Roundel magazine with the car.

As a street car they excellent but very limited on space for back seat passengers and luggage, kind of like a Mooney M20C!

20070923 058.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/15/2017 at 10:21 AM, MB65E said:

-Matt

It's probably because they have become a very popular race car - this was two weeks ago at Road Atlanta:

E30satRA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys are real motor heads, gear heads and sheet metal fans... :)

Except for M20P... a sheet wood fan! 

You know you are a real fan when you quote the gear box manufacturer and model in your description...

I saw a Getrag and Tremec T5 get mentioned....

Key words were 'close ratio'.

I guess MS doesn't need all the detail... like final drive ratio or posi-traction... 

I see being a motor head / gear head / sheetmetal-wood head can be genetic... As some of us have allowed family into the inner circle of madness...

Teaching your daughter heal-toe and trail breaking techniques must be a blast!

Some have solved the manual vs. automatic debate a while ago... get both... I'm sure we have some tip-tronics fans here as well...

Or get a pair of Chevy 350 LT1s... one 4spd automatic, the other with a T6 (Tremec)...

Some like the Al Mooney approach... light weight and aerodynamics approach...

Some like the Carol Shelby approach... use the lightweight and aerodynamics that have been developed, and cram a bigger motor in it... This is like an Eagle with a 310hp TopProp on the front...

You people can be really fun some days! :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 5