Your Favorite Ride with your Favorite Plane

9 hours ago, air cooled dad said:

My beautiful ‘96 993 cab got whacked by an SUV.  The other drivers insurance bought me a Mooney. :D  If any of you are selling a 993 Targa, I’m looking.  

Jason

D1C0E79D-A8FB-436E-A53C-F2D17F4312EB.jpeg

F7A791BC-7CD8-45D1-AA01-7680F6372F96.jpeg

3E264648-033E-4D73-9AC4-D81C09E796A7.jpeg

As overheated as the aircooled market is, I'm surprised that 993 wasn't repaired. What was the repair estimate?

• Like 1

Front of the car was moved over 2 inches. Wrinkled all the way to the firewall as well. I didn’t want to keep a crooked cab.  Georgia is a fair market value state.  Insurance payout was at the top of this air cooled bubble.  Can’t wait to get another though.  Almost bought a beautiful blue Targa this summer.  Too busy at the time. I love seeing all the cars hanging out in the hangars with our Mooney’s!!  Old Vets. Big American muscle. German gems.  Love this thread!!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 7:18 PM, Wildhorsesracing said:

I have driven so many different cars and motorcycles over the years it's hard to pick just one.  But these two come close - 650+ hp Red '79 Mustang and my "Barcalounger on Wheels" '08 Ultra Glide Classic - both give me a thrill like my Mooney...(and my Hatz)

mmpfav.jpg

barcaloungeronwheels.jpg

sN6233U and N89DG.jpg

You look like an expert in turning a large fortune into a small one ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, M016576 said:

You look like an expert in turning a large fortune into a small one ;)

:D I used to have a sailboat but couldn't find enough time to enjoy it! 

Someone once told me - "I know there's money in airplanes, boats and autos because I keep putting it there!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, 1967 427 said:

Since we don't have any kids, I concider these as my children 1967 427/435 roadster and my 1966 M20C.  The second picture also shows my first little bird 1973 C150L.  My wife said something had to go (me or one of the kids) . . . Just kidding

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now THAT is a gorgeous VETTE (And Mooney) 1967!!

• Like 2

Hey guys, got out of car to take a pick of my plane for a friend who didn't know what a "Mooney" was and it turned out kinda cool. After looking at the pic, I got to thinking that  I am seeing a trend here:
Efficient:
Mooney - 'nuff said. 
C5: 80 MPH 32 MPG (seriously) awesome traveling machine. 
Great economics:
Mooney - $$ for well equipped F model that would be $$$$ for brands C or B to duplicate capabilities
6 speed, '97 C5, basic model un-modified - $9K,  it is typically about the least expensive vehicle in the parking lot.
Sporty:
Mooney - 'nuff said
Vette -  
.....that got me thinking....I wonder what my buddies on MS pair up with their Mooney.  Anyone else game to post their favorite vehicle w/ their favorite plane and tell us why you dig 'em????? I'll go first:
59f385f842f40_ScreenShot2017-10-27at2_10_05PM.png.ff6548fe4b853e47cf295602c6875672.png

IMG_5753.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I really lost my taste for cars after getting my PPL. I got rid of my cayman in '12 and was without a sports car until last year. My son guilted me into getting something a little sporty so that he could drive it until he left for college. Lol. 

Nothing exotic but its still a fun ride. 

IMG_20171029_152320.jpg

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I really lost my taste for cars after getting my PPL. I got rid of my cayman in '12 and was without a sports car until last year. My son guilted me into getting something a little sporty so that he could drive it until he left for college. Lol. 

Nothing exotic but its still a fun ride. 

IMG_20171029_152320.jpg

So how does the mustang feel compared to the cayman?

21 minutes ago, rbridges said:

The mustang handles surprisingly well but it's hard to disguise weight. The cayman was the best handling car I've owned.

I've driven various iterations of both cars. I agree that Ford did a great job with the last two generations of mustangs. However, there are very few cars on the road at any price that handle as well as the mid-engined Porsche. It's been a decade, but I remember reading a road & track article where the '03 Ferarri Enzo's slalom time was bested by an '04 Boxster S (which set a new record).  One of those cars now trades for half million dollars or more. The one that was quicker through the slalom can be had in the mid teens.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1