Is there a 200 kts Mooney?

SantosDumont

On 10/27/2017 at 10:56 AM, DonMuncy said:

And I can carry my pocket knife. 

And your AR-15 if you want!  (and I have!)

In my last few "guy trips" in the Malibu I never loved GA more.  We had numerous firearms, R/C boats, R/C planes, booze and god knows (ok god knew, but you cannot) what else - but bottom line - try doing that with any airline  & TSA. GA has huge advantages over commercial travel (if you can afford it, which I no longer can) - even if it takes 2+ more hours to get to where you are going you get to do it in style and without having some high school dropout shoving his hand up yer arse ;) (note: I am PC saying that because I *am* a high school dropout!)

I have not owned an airplane for 18 months and yet to have traveled commercially, unless a family member needed me I just don't think I could do it. After a decade of flying my family in our own craft it just seems like hell.  Honestly I would rather drive 10 hours in my truck than take a 2 hour flight.

I just need to shrink one of my kids to like a 1lb doll so that I can buy a Mooney again to travel efficiently!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 1:38 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

I tried too many times, finally fearing my lean tests, while I was working with George Braly, were going to eventually cook my cylinders.  After several injector swaps, sent up by GAMI. with no luck, he finally told me they've had marginal success with the TSIO520 because of the "updraft" Intake system.  I gave up and run ROP.

I think I'm about 450 past TBO, had exhaust valve work done on two cylinders over 18 years and both valve issues were found at annual's, so no excitement related to the failures.  I can't say I'm unhappy with that engine.  Chad, at the local FBO, maintained a fleet of twin Cessnas with this engine, and says he can't remember one ever getting the kind of service mine has given me.  Probably related more to consistent running with one operator (me) than anything else.

Hoping the new one burning the stinky gas is as, or more, reliable.

Tom

My tsio520 runs ok lop....at low percent power it’s fine but I hate running at high tit which I would need to do lop at higher power settings so I don’t.   I only lop if I am sufficiently happy in no hurry to go low power - which is often enough since its pretty fast anyway.

maybe besides your good operation the rocket is down rated power and very well cooled as compared to the same engine in the c340/414 applications.  305 hp vs 325/335 hp.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:24 PM, gsxrpilot said:

For those of us who love to fly, it's easy to make a million reasons the Mooney is better than the airlines. I'm certainly in this camp. I'd rather take my 252 than the airlines any day and anywhere.

But for someone who's only criteria is time and expense, I still maintain you can't beat the airlines except for those situations where the airlines just don't fly where you need to go. You certainly have to factor in the entire cost of ownership, not just the cost gas for an individual trip. 

For me personally? I'd prefer the Mooney regardless the time or the money... but then I'm a pilot and therefore hate to be sitting in the back and not logging the time.

I don't try to do the math on what is cheaper... It's convenience and that I love to fly. 

Fortunately my wife does too. She flew Delta recently to Salt Lake to see the grandkids because she had some credits to use. She was texting me from the terminal while waiting to board wishing she was in our Mooney. 

• Thanks 1