Is there a 200 kts Mooney?

SantosDumont

1 hour ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

Above 16,000' in my Acclaim I can easily achieve 205KTAS LOP and 215KTAS ROP.

In addition to the speed, one of the amazing features/capabilities of the M20TN is climb rate. 

This plane will maintain 1000+ fpm all the way up into the low flight levels.  That is a massive savings in time, fuel, and TKS fluid as compared to, say, a PA46.  Look on flightaware:  Mirage/Malibu climb rates are feeble - 5-600FPM.  That's a long time to get up through WX or into the smooth air.

I'd love to have a pressurized plane, but that sort of climb rate would be tedious.

Out and back from west suburbs of Chicago to SE PA yesterday, and that was in icing conditions, so climb is done @ >120KIAS

Here's a PA46 right now.  great plane, but I'm not interested in a 40 minute climb.

-de

Edited by exM20K

I was booking out a trip to Santa Fe, NM last week, for next month - it got cancelled... but here is what I researched.

From Potsdam (way upstate NY) to Santa Fe by airlines, door-door including leaving the house 4.5 hours before the flight since it is a 2.5 hrs drive to Syracuse (and 1.5 to Ottawa but the border adds other time problems), and 2 connecting flights, for a total of 9.5 hrs booked time, that makes 14 hours.

Mooney Rocket I came out at 9.5 hrs there, plus 2 fuel stops (it would get there on 1, but its a bit long), and 7-7.5 hrs back and maybe 1 fuel stop. Assuming the weather does not have me zigging and zagging all over Texas and Kansas, and North Dakota.  And the airport with my mooney is 1 mile from my house.

But there you have it 1550 nm trip and STILL a good bit faster than the airlines.  On more modest trips, like DC, I am at my destination before I would otherwise be parking the car in the parking structure at a commercial airport.

Yes a Mooney Rocket does a good bit over 200 if you pour fuel into it, and still does a good 200 if you pour quite a bit less into it.

Of course 300 would be nice... 400 even nicer.  500 even better.  I would go suborbital if I could afford it.  But 200 I can actually afford and own.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, exM20K said:

In addition to the speed, one of the amazing features/capabilities of the M20TN is climb rate. 

Here's a PA46 right now.  great plane, but I'm not interested in a 40 minute climb.

What? 40 minutes?  My PA46 will climb to FL200 in 8 minutes.  

Edited by Jerry 5TJ

Jerry has a sense of humor...  :)

We have a couple MSers who have gone turbine after a many years of Mooney ownership...

Building a Lancair with a turbine may take a few years to build...

Speed has some additional costs associated with it.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

Moving to Vegas completely changed the economics and practicality of the M20F for me. Cruising at 150kts just feels too slow now when I can roll out of bed, drive 10 minutes to McCarran and let someone else drive me at 450kts.

I’ve also found that my tolerance to ride a sky jet ski across choppy air is about 2 hrs before I start telling myself that I’m never strapping myself in this thing again.

So I started looking into upgrade options like the Lancair Legacy, but then I realized that new Mooneys use the same engine.  Do the newer Mooneys with the TSIO-550 really cruise over 200kts, or are they realistically 175kt machines?

Most importantly give me the specs on the F you'll be selling. 

14 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I was booking out a trip to Santa Fe, NM last week, for next month - it got cancelled... but here is what I researched.

Erik,

I just did that flight on Labor Day weekend from the U.P.  I'll give you a bit shorter  (1060 NM), but we did it both ways non-stop in under 4 hours.  But then it's a homebuilt with my mom's old washing machine motor in it, not a Mooney.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20170830/1315Z/KIMT/KSAF

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Erik,

I just did that flight on Labor Day weekend from the U.P.  I'll give you a bit shorter  (1060 NM), but we did it both ways non-stop in under 4 hours.  But then it's a homebuilt with my mom's old washing machine motor in it, not a Mooney.

Tom

>300kts.  Does your mom still have her dryer?  Maybe I can install that motor in my machine? I didn't know that Pratt and Whitney made washing machines.

OK - new plan.  I fly to your place...2.5 hrs.  Then I buy the washing machine which you kindly lend to me, and then I will be in SAF 4 hrs after that.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 11:11 AM, Hank said:

The biggest pain flying  yself is always, always being told to "remain clear of the bravo" as I go past ATL. Haven't learned the secret to passage, so I zoom in the 430W to 5 or 10nm range and keep my wingtip on the green line denoting Bravo airspace . . . 

The secret passage is IFR flight plan.   

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

The secret passage is IFR flight plan.   

Negative, ghost rider, the circuit is full.

Here to mom & dad's is right over the center of ATL. I'm always routed to either CINKA or HEFIN; sometimes they give me a choice . . . But never into the Bravo, even when I request a T route. 

I've given up asking. Need to check my cruise speed at 12,500 to see if I can cross the Bravo in time, reaching it outside, crossing the widest part, getting clear and coming back down. I don't cruise above 10,000 very often in my C. I'll play it safe as a stupid BFF guy at 12,600 or so . . . .

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

Here to mom & dad's is right over the center of ATL. I'm always routed to either CINKA or HEFIN; sometimes they give me a choice . . . But never into the Bravo, even when I request a T route. 

I've given up asking. Need to check my cruise speed at 12,500 to see if I can cross the Bravo in time, reaching it outside, crossing the widest part, getting clear and coming back down. I don't cruise above 10,000 very often in my C. I'll play it safe as a stupid BFF guy at 12,600 or so . . . .

ATL controllers aren't always the friendliest or accommodating, but before I had my IR, I was coming back from auburn and they cleared me direct over ATL at 7500...  I didn't even ask for it, but they offered it.  

5 minutes ago, BradB said:

Here is a straight and level pic.  TAS well over 200.  I do have TKS on my plane, so that slows me a little.   

BTW, my Acclaim is for sale. 

https://premieraircraftsales.com/index.php/mooney-aircraft-inventory/2008-mooney-acclaim-n708pj

Time for a PA-46T.

3401BC3C-3E8A-4F6B-9045-99F8E6A7B474.thumb.jpeg.8d03a3d61bd59719122cf785e5a8ffff.jpeg

Premium Mooney right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

On an IFR trip departing PDK and heading south I was routed directly over ATL at 5000 feet.

202FDA9F-793A-4988-A80D-0217B8550A3E.jpeg

4 hours ago, BradB said:

Here is a straight and level pic.  TAS well over 200.  I do have TKS on my plane, so that slows me a little.   

BTW, my Acclaim is for sale. 

https://premieraircraftsales.com/index.php/mooney-aircraft-inventory/2008-mooney-acclaim-n708pj

Time for a PA-46T.

3401BC3C-3E8A-4F6B-9045-99F8E6A7B474.thumb.jpeg.8d03a3d61bd59719122cf785e5a8ffff.jpeg

Classic Premier. Go to the listing and notice at least one picture is not from the airplane that is for sale? Also very careful not to mention that this (apparently) is a non-WAAS Acclaim?

Caveat Emptor when you deal with them; buyers are likely to get a better and more honest treatment from Jimmy Garrison at All American.

Great looking plane though, bound to make someone very happy :)

On 10/27/2017 at 8:37 AM, peevee said:

Pretty much any of the turbos will get you real close or over 200 depending on which.

I'll just say this.  A few years ago I attend a Mooney PPP, I think it was at Peoria.  The shuttle bus included a Delta crew, my instructor and I, and several other students and instructors.  The Delta crew complained some about the time to get through security, which was at the front door at that airport (for crews).  We dropped them off, bussed the block to the GA terminal, walked in the front door and out the back, and finished our pre-flight.  We could still see that Delta crew standing in line at crew security when we got in and started up, and of course, they were crew not passengers.  It takes me at most 45 minutes to drive to my plane, pre-flight, file a flight plan, and get off the ground, and it takes a minimum of two hours to get to that point flying commercial.  

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

I'll just say this.  A few years ago I attend a Mooney PPP, I think it was at Peoria.  The shuttle bus. included a Delta crew, my instructor and I, and several other students and instructors.  The Delta crew complained some about the time to get through security, which was a the front door at that airport (for crews).  We dropped them off, bus the block to the GA terminal, walked in the front door and our the back, and finished our pre-flight.  We could still see that Delta crew standing in line at crew security when we got in and started up, and of course, they were crew not passengers.  It takes me at most 45 minutes to drive to my plane, pre-flight, file a flight plan, and get off the ground, and it takes a minimum of two hours to get to that point flying commercial.  

Interesting - and that is city living. As I said - here in rural living it is greatly more in favor of GA.  3 or 4 min drive to the airport and so 20 min from my house to wheels up.  Driving 2.5 hrs to the commercial airport makes for 4-4.5 hrs from my door to wheels up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert C. said:

Classic Premier. Go to the listing and notice at least one picture is not from the airplane that is for sale? Also very careful not to mention that this (apparently) is a non-WAAS Acclaim?

Caveat Emptor when you deal with them; buyers are likely to get a better and more honest treatment from Jimmy Garrison at All American.

Great looking plane though, bound to make someone very happy :)

Yes,  It looks like a panel picture has been substituted.   The imposter does not have the TKS in the panel.   

It is a non-WAAS plane.  I did the ADSB in and out upgrade, but where I fly, I am always using ILS for now.  It is also the 280 HP version.

Brad

16 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Erik,

Tom

It'll go faster once it has paint on it

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 9:30 AM, gsxrpilot said:

200 kts won't change any of what you're complaining of. There is almost no scenario were GA is more economical or practical than the airlines. 

We love to fly GA because of many reasons, but if your reasons are economics and practicality, you should probably just fly the airlines.

Huh? I can name loads of scenarios were it's more efficient. It's not cheaper, but additional passengers help. My bird is only good for 150kts and there are trips nearing 1000 miles that think could be done faster via Mooney than airline. Certainly more pleasant.

As for the OP,  to me, your post reads like it's time to get out of GA. Calling a 4 place mooney a "flying jetski"  illustrates that your feelings for you own machine border on contempt. I think you should sell your plane and avoid GA or man up and buy something that's worthy of your admiration.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2