Landing without landing light

Bartman

Would you depart without a landing light ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you depart without a landing light knowing you will land well after dark ?

• No way !!!
    • Yes, but only if I am alone and fix tomorrow
    • Sure, no problem but get it fixed tomorrow morning
  2. 2. Have you ever landed without a landing light, not including training

• Yes
    • No

You are getting ready for departure and despit your meticulous maintenance you discover a burned out landing light. You have no spare and no maintenance or parts available. Weather is not a factor with severe clear, VMC, no wind and no turbulence but you will land well after dark.  Destination is unattended, but has great lighting, multiple approaches, and length is no factor at over 5,000 ft. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't take off if I knew my landing light didn't work, it gets checked every preflight. However,  I have landed without it on before unintentionally. After putting in an LED I turn it on before take off and leave it in for extra visibility to other planes.  I apparently missed that step on trip that started in daylight and ended after dark. The  runway was well lit and I didn't notice I didn't have it on until the roll out after landing. 

First things first: The correct answer is that the light was operational before you took off but it burned out in flight. Don't self-incriminate.

Second, landing (a nosewheel airplane) without one is a  good thing to practice once in a while. I like to use a soft-field technique and leave just a bit of power to let it settle down in case I mis-judge my height.

• Like 2

Departing without a landing light is of course a choice or decision the pilot needs to make.  Landing without one is often times just dealing with the current situation (burnt out after takeoff).  A runway with good lighting and of no doubt praying there is not some stray coyote or deer on the runway it should be uneventful.

Honestly most landing lights on small aircraft offer little assistance to finding a runway and landing - they are best at helping other aircraft and the tower (if there is one) see you and spotting things in your landing path at a very small distance.

I think FAR 91.205(c)4 has something about requirements of a landing light and it seems to be only for "operated for hire" flights.  So legally I think you are OK.

The risk of landing without the landing light is the possibility of a collision with an obstacle or animal on the runway. This can happen at uncontrolled airports. I have seen cows crossing the runway thanks to the landing light. Would you drive at night without headlights on your car?:huh:

José 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bartman said:

You are getting ready for departure and despit your meticulous maintenance you discover a burned out landing light. You have no spare and no maintenance or parts available. Weather is not a factor with severe clear, VMC, no wind and no turbulence but you will land well after dark.  Destination is unattended, but has great lighting, multiple approaches, and length is no factor at over 5,000 ft. 

Landing without a landing light is one thing, taxiing is another! Taxiways at uncontrolled airports tend to be poorly lit and the only thing that keeps you going is keeping the nose wheel on the yellow line illuminated by the landing light.

• Like 4

During my PPL training for the night cross country, the airplane I was renting had an inop landing light. I wanted to scrub the flight despite all the scheduling, planning, and pre-flight lesson discussion. My instructor said no, that it would provide a good training opportunity. We took off from KNZY (Naval Air Station North Island) to KSDM (Brown Field) to KRNM (Ramona) to KCRQ (Palomar) and back to KNZY.  Ramona did not have airport lighting at the time but did have a nice long runway. All the other fields were lit up very well. The landing at Ramona was nerve wracking but my instructor had me set up for a soft field landing and the whole ordeal turned out to be an easy, non-stressful event... The remaining landings were also uneventful. I learned a valuable lesson on how to judge a night landing without a landing light. IMHO, that was invaluable training. Taxiing was the hardest part of that night.

Since then I've had two landing light failures while landing at night. One was due to a burned out bulb and the other was due to maintenance induced failure by me or my A& P who did not securely hook up the lights when replacing the cowling after annual. Both were non-events due to my training. On the post annual flight, Gillespie tower pointed out before my landing that my landing light was not on... I replied that it must be burnt out, as I had the switch turned on. I set up for a soft field landing, landed and was ready to turn off at my normal runway exit. Again, taxiing sucked but I landed safely. 

Do I test my lights before a flight? Yes and they work... Am I afraid of landing in the dark without the landing light, NO!, Would I scrub a flight going in to a long runway in an urban area due to a burnt out bulb? No, Would I scrub a flight going in to a short runway with a burnt out landing light? Hell yes! I'd go somewhere else and set up for a soft field landing, like I was trained...

@PilotoI'd have a different mindset if I flew in rural areas, where wildlife could cause some significant damage to life and property... Good thing I fly in SOCAL...

Edited by jonhop
Factoring Piloto's post

I’ve had one burn out before I went to an LED bulb.  Landing is not bad - it’s the taxiing that’s bad.  I had my hand out the window in a freezing Boston winter with a pretty useless flashlight pecking around the airport trying to avoid snow banks and aircraft. Not fun.  

Otoh I’ve diverted because of runway lighting at night.  It’s possible but challenging but some thing I’d consider to be a must land abnormal situation and the full runway environment must be carefully considered.  Rural Airport or black hole with no glide path?  I’m thinking about airports like KBCB and KROA in this region that can flat kill you if you don’t know exactly where you are relative to runway and terrain at night.  Even my last home field was up on a plateau on a hillside that could be misjudged without runway and PAPI. A bunch of the NJ/PA airports  I’ve flown into are tricky at night (N07, N39, S37). 

Present self likes to ask future self:  How’s that choice gonna look on an NTSB report ?  One of the main reasons I put in a WAAS box wasn’t for the extra 200-500’ on an LPV approach rather the ability to overfly an LPV approach with vertical guidance at night (VMC) and use both runway lighting and instruments to keep me safer.  

Ymmv. 

I’ve had a few planes that didn’t even have landing lights so i wouldn't think twice about a night flight without it.  The light is only required to be installed for hire. I probably use it 50% of the time  but  if I’m doing night currency I don’t use it at all  

-Robert 

• Thanks 1

As a few have mentioned, an operational landing light is only required when the flight is for compensation or hire, there is no reg that says you have to use it. Most of my night flights are on well moon lit nights and I generally use it for taxi, transition thru Charlie & Delta airspace or for traffic in my area, other than that it stays off

• Thanks 1

I once arrived at my then-home base and there were no runway lights.  My landing light worked fine.  Should I have attempted to land?....................I decided to divert to a neighboring field.  However, when I was a few miles away the lights went on so I turned back toward my original destination.  Turned out there had been a power outage.

• Like 1

The only way I ever seem to find out my landing light bulb is burned out is when I land at night.  I don't check it in my preflight, admittedly.  Never found it to be that big a problem.  If I flew into an unlighted strip if could get dicey, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 201er said:

What's worse, no landing light or no runway lights!? Dealt with both at some point.

Have done both, but won't take off if I know either is not operational. Taking off with lights non-functional sounds like a future NTSB report.

FWIW, I am more comfortable with no landing light over no runway lights.

As long as you have taxi way lights it is not that bad, but no lights at all at the airport, I would divert to another airport.  (Down here we have one every 5-10 miles or so) 

• Like 2

I've landed at my former poorly lit, obstructed home field twice without a working landing light, but both times it was functional on preflight. The landing itself wasn't bad, but holding a flashlight out the storm window to taxi is awkward and cold! Prop blast from my 3-blade is significant even at taxi speeds.

Best have procedures down. My home had no glideslope indicators, and on final the numbers and REIL were obscured by the trees, requiring leveling off at 140 agl until they appeared, then continuing descent to landing. 

P.S.--the poll wouldn't accept my vote because I don't like the choices for #1 and left it blank. So add 1 vote for "Yes I have" to #2.

P.P.S.--When the landing light died on my first trip back to my original base, several months after relocating, I replaced it with LED. Now it's always turned On, although I did turn it off an hour into the pitot static test when we realized it was shining in the hangar.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

The landing lights (mostly circuit breaker problems) on both Mooneys I've owned have been so unreliable that I land at night so often without a landing light that I got so used to landing without the landing light that it freaks me out landing with the landing light on.

For the last 20 years I turn it off on final even if it is working. I save it for taxiing. It is a lot harder to taxi without a light then landing.

The controllers get excited sometimes when I turn it off.

Steller Airpark has no runway lights on the south half of the runway. I have landed on 35 at night without a landing light. That's freaky.

The problem is the breakers are too small for the landing lights. A 250 W bulb draws 20.8 amps at 12 V. It is a 20 amp breaker.

If you put a 100 W landing light it still lights up the world just fine and doesn't trip the breaker. An LED landing light will solve all the problems.

13 hours ago, Immelman said:

First things first: The correct answer is that the light was operational before you took off but it burned out in flight. Don't self-incriminate.

Or better yet, it was placarded INOP before you took off.  Otherwise there is no requirement.

I've done no light landings on my night XC in training. I happened to check the light before CFI and I took off and noticed light was out.  He was like - can we go?, i said legally yes, then asked him if he was comfortable with it and he said yes and it would be a good learning experience.  Glad i did it.

Found out my landing light was burned out over Chicago on my way to Coldwater, MI.  Flying a 3hr leg into an unfamiliar airport with the family on board.  Made the wife a little nervous, but really no issue. Follow the PAPI down.  Keep it in the middle of the lights and over the green threshold lights.  Gently sink into the black hole keeping the nose up.  A squeaker.  Wife said that was one of the best landings I've done.  Now the hard part, getting to an unfamiliar ramp at an airport with no blue taxi lights! Just cell phone flash and a little flashlight hanging out the door and window. That was the hard part.

When I got home had LANCECASPER order me up a Parmetheus Plus from ACS.  Now the things I see during my early morning "laps" scare me. Literally a standoff on the taxi way with a coyote (thought it was the aiport dog at first).  I'm sure with havest that the deer will be thick right now too. But nice to be able to just keep the light on all the time.

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The controllers get excited sometimes when I turn it off.

I got the super scary transmission from tower while on short final "Mooney check landing gear". He assumed that since I wasn't using my landing light my gear may be up; which would have been the case in my Bo but not my Mooney.

-Robert