Troubleshoot Whelen HRCFA-14/28 beacon

Our Whelan self-contained strobe, which was installed in 2009 to replace the original coffee-grinder beacon, has stopped working.  While it probably just needs a replacement A469B flash tube assembly, before I order a $100 part I'd like to determine that the unit is getting power and that the power supply assembly has not failed.  Is there an easy way to determine if the power supply is operational?  The flash tube is connected to the power supply by a 3-wire harness.  

I got mine flashing by connecting it to two 9V batteries wires in series.  One is the power wire, one is ground and the third is typically a sync wire.  I have a rather crappy old whelen strobe that I got as a combo with a coffee  grinder off eBay. It works.  I can give/sell it to you if you need it.  

You can use a multimeter, but be careful--that High Voltage sticker is serious! 

My flasher went on the fritz, flashing quite erratically. During a flash in the hangar, with the unit on the floor, each random discharge was spiking > 500V. I copied down part numbers, mkdels, serials, etc., and visited Whelen's  booth at SunnFun. Their rep said, Wow, that's old" and led me to their LED display.

It fits the same hole, uses the same trim ring, is half the diameter and at least a third shorter. And it blinks regularly, brightly and doesn't bleed into my headset with each flash.

Good luck with yours, but it may not be economically repairable . . . .

• Like 1

Hank - appreciate your input.  I have no intention of repairing the unit if there's a problem with the power supply.  My plan is to install a new flash tube, for under $100.  I simply want to confirm that the problem is NOT something else before I buy that replacement flash tube.

Bluehwyflyer - that's an interesting idea.  I also figured that, when I power on the unit, I probably should be able to hear activity from the power supply.  I just don't know if amperage draw and/or sound from the power supply is still expected from the unit if the only problem is a bad flash tube.