ATC career

bonal

A friend of ours daughter has recently graduated college but is finding career opportunity in her field (human biology) not so available.  I have been talking to her about the possibilities as an ATC and she has been doing some research into this as a career and is very interrested in it.  I know there are some controllers here on MS and perhaps others that have knowledge that could be helpful.  We have been looking at the FAA web site and understand there is an entry exam for potential trainees but the site does not really have any links or application information.  She is a very bright young lady and I think would make a fine controller. 

Thank you for any helpful information

The jobs get posted on usajobs.gov. search for faa jobs and see what's out there. The announcements get put out basically nationally.

There was just an announcement, I have no idea if there's another but there probably will be, just keep checking.

It takes awhile to get hired, 6 months, a year?  

Once you apply and get selected the rest gets set up, the game changes often so I don't know if how to play the current one.

Now a days it's competitive, you go through the academy and get to choose a facility based on need and what your score is in class. It used to be you got selected for a facility and then you had an offer FOR that facility coming in. Now you might get to pick a region and that's it. It'll ask if she wants to go enroute or terminal, I'd encourage enroute because the money is a little better and the centers have a better more structured training program.

• Like 1

I saw an article in the USAToday rag the other day regarding aviation employees in short supply...  Airforce needing to recall pilots....?

Odd signs of the economy actually heating up.

I have two biologists in my family.  Both went on for additional schooling to differentiate themselves from all the other biologists....

Best regards,

-a-

I don't see any trainee listings. A couple cpc listings that she isn't qualified for. CPC isn't a trainee (certified professional controller)

Sort by "open to the public"

I have a friend at oakland center I can probably get her in touch with for a facility visit if she wants. I have lost touch with a friend at norcal tracon. Think he moved and changed his cell #. Usually you can just call the watch desk or the training department too and set up a tour, the numbers are in whatever they call the AF/D these days.

I can give you my email if she has more specific questions about the process and what it's like working there but I'll probably skew more negative than others on it. NATCA may also have some resources. I don't know if they still do NATCA reloaded or not. That was their outreach sort of to younger people.

Try looking at the universities that have atc training programs like UND or Southern Illinois U. I thought the FAA was quite desperate for controllers. Must be under 31 or 32 years old to be eligible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Try looking at the universities that have atc training programs like UND or Southern Illinois U. I thought the FAA was quite desperate for controllers. Must be under 31 or 32 years old to be eligible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has a degree already and the FAA basically gutted the CTI (college training initiative, if you're going to deal with the faa you better get used to acronyms) program, so there is zero use in doing so really. Fresh out of HS I'd agree but in this case no. Waste of time/money.

So they normally have about 15 or 15,5 controllers and last I heard have about 12k with a third of those eligible to retire, meaning they're forced out within 5 years and it takes about 3 years to train someone off the street so yeah, it's a little grim.

I was a bit surprised by the age limitations back in the day.

Stuff I looked into back in the day... including ATC, flight attendant... and other odd routes to ATP...

My dream job was aviation related...

I think my dream avocation is Aviation, now....

Best regards,

-a-

My cousin kind of got very screwed by the CTI program. He completed it and then the FAA essentially backed out of hiring CTI graduates.  He then sat for the ATC SAT thing as if he was off the street, did well, but the coincident election and subsequent hiring freeze again screwed him.  He might be done. 

There aren’t many jobs available that are compatible with what one might consider a middle class lifestyle with a bachelors in biology.  There are technician type jobs (28-38k/yr) and sometimes one might get hired on as a teacher at a private or other school that doesn’t require a teaching certificate. That particular degree is usually used as a basis for further education in the health or life sciences.  The only “well paying” of the biology jobs require a masters or PhD and are mostly in private industry / private enterprise, some in government.   The academic route is difficult - 95% of PhDs wash out in the academic biological sciences and spend years if not careers at a “post doc” level earning about or slightly more than a technician.  Most of those that are in academics think they are brilliant and the commensurate recognition (publication, travel) is somewhat like a substitute salary / compensation.   

I knew of someone who used a biology background to get a job as a brewer.  That’s pretty cool.  It’s interesting if you can take two disparate fields and mash them together (ie study the flight paths of social insects and apply to air traffic routings).  I did two terminal degrees and one supports my career development  and family goals- the other I can dabble and have fun with but doesn’t put dinner on the table.  

With the present forecasts of pilot hiring, a pilot career might have more upside than a job with ATC for someone just out of college.

Delta is upgrading captains MD88/NYC in eight months.

Good grief!  I got hired at a "good time" and it took me 12 yeats to make captain.

Just a thought.

I attended the Houston Tracon tour a couple of months ago and it was fascinating! This is the contact info for the gentleman that led the tour. I also have his card at home so if you need an email address then let me know and I'll track it down for you. I believe he is their longest tenured guy and will surely point you in the right direction. Very knowledgeable and nice guy. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ronald Sorum

Functional Job Title: AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
Service Unit: Terminal Services
Directorate: Director Air Traffic Operation Central Service Area South
Division: Texana District

Office Phone: +12814435841
Fax: +18324941630

Physical Address:   Mail Address: ASW Regional Office

FAA Houston Intercont'l TRACON FAA Southwest Regional Office
4005 Greens Rd 10101 Hillwood Pkwy
Houston, TX 77032 Fort Worth, TX 76177
Room Number:   Room Number: