Tornado hits KHKY Monday afternoon 10.23.2017

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

Bob, since you posted this can we assume you are okay?

Your Mooney?

That looks like very significat wind damage! 

Yes, thanks for your concern. A tornado passed through the eastern end of our county, the second one in a matter of weeks in an area that seldom has tornadoes. The airport pictured is Hickory Regional, KHKY, my plane lives at KMRN a few miles west of there. Besides the airport there was quite a bit of property damage and widespread loss of power yesterday.

We had a Mooney Caravan training weekend at KHKY is July so @kpaul, @Marcopolo, and others will recognize the HBO ramp where the twister went through. 

No big deal to some of you but pretty unusual here.  

That is horrid. I sure hope your beautiful plane isn't under that debris.

3 years ago I got awoken by a text message asking if I still had a plane...we had a microburst event at my airport that flattened a big box hangar with 6 new King Airs inside, and removed t-hangar doors from my row. Fortunately my hangar was ok, otherwise it would've been a big yard sale since I had tools, parts, etc scattered all over my hangar while my bird was in pieces. The doors next to me were ripped off.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yes, thanks for your concern. A tornado passed through the eastern end of our county, the second one in a matter of weeks in an area that seldom has tornadoes. The airport pictured is Hickory Regional, KHKY, my plane lives at KMRN a few miles west of there. Besides the airport there was quite a bit of property damage and widespread loss of power yesterday.

We had a Mooney Caravan training weekend at KHKY is July so @kpaul, @Marcopolo, and others will recognize the HBO ramp where the twister went through. 

No big deal to some of you but pretty unusual here.  

I recognize most of those planes and in fact we had a nice dinner with the owner of the red/white 172.  There were a lot of nice planes in those hangars.

2 minutes ago, kpaul said:

I recognize most of those planes and in fact we had a nice dinner with the owner of the red/white 172.  There were a lot of nice planes in those hangars.

Yeah, was that Al Bormuth? His C172 survived as did his Fairchild which only suffered a cracked wheel pant. But these pics are what's left of his nice C210.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor

Oh wow!

We stopped there for lunch on the way to the Mooney Summit and on the way back we overnighted in town. Happy memories of both stops and very sorry to see the damage and the pain and suffering that implies. Fun diner and very nice FBO. Hope all the folks are OK and can recover quickly.

We'll support them with our food, fuel and hotel dollars again next year for sure.

Robert

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 8:51 AM, Zulee said:

A very similar event happened to my Piper 235 years ago when Hurricane Charlie came through Orlando...gut wrenching.

That is an amazing revelation; aviation wasn't in fact invented in 1903 :D:D

Edited by jkhirsch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jkhirsch said:

That is an amazing revelation; aviation wasn't in fact invented in 1903 :D:D

A Piper 235 is a Cherokee with a big 6 cylinder engine there, sparky.  I just hope no one was hurt in all that.  Aircraft can be replaced (mostly, don't know about that Vampire), folks not so much.  Tornadoes are chaotic, deadly, and destructive.  About the only weather event in my area that actually kill anyone.  Thankfully they're also rare.

1 hour ago, steingar said:

A Piper 235 is a Cherokee with a big 6 cylinder engine there, sparky.  I just hope no one was hurt in all that.  Aircraft can be replaced (mostly, don't know about that Vampire), folks not so much.  Tornadoes are chaotic, deadly, and destructive.  About the only weather event in my area that actually kill anyone.  Thankfully they're also rare.

There was a great deal of damage in and around Hickory in addition to the airport but I have not heard of a single injury. That includes the brother of a friend of mine who was in a truck in that hangar when it was blown apart.