Resurrecting a J

Fookz92

Being a Cherokee owner for 2 years has been fun, but I was always wanting to go faster. Mooney's quickly climbed to the top of my list because of their speed and economics. My story starts this past May as I was finishing up an instruction lesson with a owner of a Saratoga II TC. I mention to him that I was in the market looking for something faster, like his Saratoga. He says, "follow me" and we walk across the small airport together to another hangar way in the back. He walks up and points to a 1 inch gap in the door and tells me to "take a look." What I saw was a Mooney M20J 201  sitting in the corner of the hangar that hasn't been flown in a very long time. I took down the N# in attempt to find the owner and ask what the status was of the airplane.

Here is what I found:

The owner had fallen very ill 10 years ago and stopped flying until he got well. Unfortunately his illness progressed up until he passed away this past June. The airplane has been sitting for 10 years now in the corner of this hangar. He was the original owner of this 1977 201J serial #0017 all these years! It was a delicate and lengthy process all summer long with the now widow who had just inherited the aircraft. She finally gave me the "green light" in September to do a Pre-buy inspection to find out the value and what it would take to make it airworthy again. I contacted the MSC at Freeway airpark, MD and the mx guys came over on a Sunday to do the inspection. (great guys) 2 cranks and it fired right up! Put it up on jacks and the gear swung nicely.  Here is what the conclusion was:

No corrosion on roll cage. No rust of corrosion on the camshaft. Both fuel tanks leak. Brake system needs complete overhaul. Pilots seatback is cracked and needs repair. Top end overhaul recommended. Fuel pump leaking. Needs rubber gear pucks. 

I made a offer and the lady accepted! 

The best part: 958hrs TTAF

Any mooniacs around the Delmarva Peninsula area I can meet up with after I resurrect this J?  KCGE

Its Mooney Resurrection time!!!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0877.JPG

Edited by Fookz92
  • Like 10

Sorry to hear about the PO...

Congrats on the purchase...

See if you can arrange some mooney specific transition training...

Check in with 201er... Find the NJMP...

It would be great if you can join us at a fly in...

Break fluid is age limited. Drain and replace is a good idea...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Maybe if you pull two jugs off on one side you can see the cam and lifters with a borescope.  That said, engines built in those days you don't hear of cam and lifter spalling. Materials were better then, but consider it left the factory 40 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Not to rain on your parade.  

It must be quite a borescope to go down the oil filler tube, then work its way back to the top of the engine to see the camshaft.

Clarence

The jugs were pulled off and are being sent away for an overhaul. I am going off of the MSC guy's report and pictures of the camshaft that he took. He def got in there and inspected it.

• Like 2

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Pulling the jugs is a bit more than a usual pre-buy inspection. But it's good you're getting into it. I was just curious as there's no way to see the cam without pulling the jugs. A borescope won't do it.

Ah yes. I asked for the jugs to be pulled so the cam can be inspected. A lot of people were stressing the issue to me to have it done. It was a very thorough 6 hr pre-buy process. But those guys at the MSC were terrific and know what they are talking about 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fookz92 said:

The jugs were pulled off and are being sent away for an overhaul. I am going off of the MSC guy's report and pictures of the camshaft that he took. He def got in there and inspected it.

Pulling the cylinders as you discovered is the only way to see the camshaft and lifters. For an idle engine you've done ther right steps.

Clarence

It makes me happy to see someone take the time and effort, blood sweat and tears that it takes to perform a Resurrection on a bird like this.  It has been in the hangar and you had the right people look at who know the Mooney specific items, as well as the usual stuff like brakes, tires, and especially the engine.  

Good luck, and be careful and cautious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't freak out when you start to use the buttons on the garmin and they don't do what you want.    usually if you push them 10-50 or so times they will start to work again.  clicky clicky clicky      I "fixed" a garmin 530 that had been sitting for awhile for the A&P by doing this.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:28 AM, M20Doc said:

Not to rain on your parade.  

It must be quite a borescope to go down the oil filler tube, then work its way back to the top of the engine to see the camshaft.

Clarence

I was thinking--is there any way to get a borescope in through the oil pan if you drain the oil, take out the oil filter screen and go through that opening?

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I was thinking--is there any way to get a borescope in through the oil pan if you drain the oil, take out the oil filter screen and go through that opening?

No because the crankcase closes up below the crank. There are a few slots for oil to drain through but no way to sneak a borescope through that, then past the crank to the cam.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

It would be great if we had a borescope plug in the top of the case that we could remove for inspections...otherwise no way to see in there without pulling jugs.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Scott,

Would this work?

Clarence

image.png