Rajay turbo

Nice work. I wish I could fly LOP. This annual I'll check my GAMI spread and for induction leaks. Anyway, those are surprising low CHT temps for a 10gph turbo. Is that on a digital engine monitor or on the stock, single point CHT?  Do you have a TIT? Most important for the health of the turbo is to make sure the TIT doesn't get above 1650. 

2 hours ago, Chris Strube said:

OK, I've had the wastegate control adjusted, and am now getting "almost" book MP.  I climb at 2700RPM, full rich, engaging the turbo at 3500ft ASL to maintain 27 inches MP.  My fuel flow is 17 GPH.  This is according to the STC manual.  Once at altitude, usually 15000 to 19000, I reduce RPM to 2600, pull the mixture back to 10 GPH, close the cowl flaps, and increase the MP back to 27 inches.  The numbers on the EGT gauge mean nothing, it's just a relative pointer to show peak EGT, and mine is about 75 deg. LOP at 10 GPH.  The engine temps drop from 380 CHT to 300 CHT, and the oil temp drops from 210 to 190.  TAS is about 170KTS.  These numbers are from my recent cross-Canada trip - 10 provinces in 30 days.  I'm happy with my installation now, just wish I had more room!

cool:D

What is your rate of climb through 10000?

More room is simple leave the tail tied down and apply full power until the fuselage stretches 6".:o

Hi this is Mark,

I am attempting to order an EDM 900 engine monitor from JPI to help solve an "Engine Problem" I have posted here on MooneySpace.  JPI is requesting that I provide the STCs and pilot supplement for the RayJay turbo.  Mine was installed on my M20E in 1980 and I have the form 337 and log book entries but that is all.  The STCs are SE 32WE and SA 1411WE.  My understanding is that these STCs were not N-number specific.  I also need the pilot supplement if someone has that scanned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

-mark

7 hours ago, Mark942 said:

Hi this is Mark,

I am attempting to order an EDM 900 engine monitor from JPI to help solve an "Engine Problem" I have posted here on MooneySpace.  JPI is requesting that I provide the STCs and pilot supplement for the RayJay turbo.  Mine was installed on my M20E in 1980 and I have the form 337 and log book entries but that is all.  The STCs are SE 32WE and SA 1411WE.  My understanding is that these STCs were not N-number specific.  I also need the pilot supplement if someone has that scanned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

-mark

Make sure they provide you with a TIT and IAT sensors and unlocks on the screen. My stc comes with a 238 degree limitation on IAT but I assume the temp needs to stay reasonable for the carb, not sure about the IO version. 

I also agree with @Brian Scranton get the proper documentation not just a couple scans. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, great discussion on RAJAY turbo.  There is also a RAJAY Turbo Facebook Group (RAJAY / RAYJAY Turbo Aircraft) that is airframe agnostic.  It seems like all RAJAY installations have a large amount of commonality.  Particularly when speaking about operational performance!

Guest Spike Kavalench
On 2017-10-25 at 7:23 AM, Brian Scranton said:

Hey Chris. I lean via TIT. 100 ROP when I am 24.5/2500 (~65% per the RayJay manual). 

Just following up on your original ask--you can go in and adjust the cable that actuates your wastegate. It's too loose right now. To do this, push your vernier knob in 2 or so inches, pull your lower right cowl panel, find the cable, trace it to the waste gate arm...loosen the nut that attaches the cable to the arm, let the arm swing shut, and pull the cable through until tight. Then retighten the nut. That should do it for you. 

Any chance of getting a digital copy of the Rayjay Manual?  

On 1/11/2018 at 4:08 PM, Chris Strube said:

OK, I've had the wastegate control adjusted, and am now getting "almost" book MP.  I climb at 2700RPM, full rich, engaging the turbo at 3500ft ASL to maintain 27 inches MP.  My fuel flow is 17 GPH.  This is according to the STC manual.  Once at altitude, usually 15000 to 19000, I reduce RPM to 2600, pull the mixture back to 10 GPH, close the cowl flaps, and increase the MP back to 27 inches.  The numbers on the EGT gauge mean nothing, it's just a relative pointer to show peak EGT, and mine is about 75 deg. LOP at 10 GPH.  The engine temps drop from 380 CHT to 300 CHT, and the oil temp drops from 210 to 190.  TAS is about 170KTS.  These numbers are from my recent cross-Canada trip - 10 provinces in 30 days.  I'm happy with my installation now, just wish I had more room!

This is good info. Your post is the first I’ve read of someone flying a RayJay IO360 A1A the way I’d envisioned.  170ktas on 10gph above 15,000 seems like a reasonable performance jump over a N/A M20E under 10,000 feet.

I cannot imagine I would keep a turbo very long if climbing 10,000 feet above N/A altitudes yielded just 10-15 Kts.

Hi everyone, this is Mark.  I have a M20E with a RayJay normalizing turbo with manual wastegate.  I am installing a JPI EDM 900 with TIT probe.  I am pretty sure I understand where to install the probe, but does anyone have an actual picture??  It looks like the place to install the probe is pretty defined on my installation by where the exhaust pipes join and where I believe the radius of the butterfly flap swings inside the pipe.  My A/P has a lot of experience, but is not a fan of Turbos.  I just want to know from someone with an identical setup that actually works, so we get it right.

Thanks so much,

-mark