Mooney specific electric tug

mike20papa

1021171504.thumb.jpg.fb0809a45f1046fa73cc47e40ab2a59d.jpg

Have recently completed and now testing a final design for an electric tug.  12V battery and chain drive.  My original design I used to develop the drive system (tried everything ..) ended up converting a cable winch to chain drive system.   The original "test bed" had 2 small wheels, new design has one large, wheel.  Will post a video of the unit pulling my A model up a 2% grade.  ... Yes, even has a kick stand!

• Like 4

For comparison, take a look at mine in my gallery. I use a cable operated clamp system to hook onto the nose wheel tube to greatly relieve the "balancing" problem. 

The problem (as in all things aviation related) is that if you were making them for profit, you would have to sell a zillion to make up the cost of creating the production system. Or make them by hand and charge the $1500 or so that the commercial units cost. I built a few for friends at a reasonable cost, but figured my time at ten cents an hour.

I never figured out why peevee had difficulty with the Warn winch motor. Mine does OK with it, and I have a hard time believing a Rocket is that much heavier that a standard K.

I, too am interested in the wider tire. I have a narrower one that is OK, but think wider would be preferable.

45 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

You only pin the one side, to prevent it slipping out. Once you've got the pipe inserted it will stand on its own, then you pin it.

I understand that. It's still awkward as the pin needs to slide in straight, no pivoting and tires dont like to slide sideways on concrete. Something about how they're designed. So this design requires you to line it up and slide the pin in, which is slightly better than a fixed pin but a clamp isn't hard to work out and works much better.

• 6 months later...