New Mooney E owner

NJMac

Just got my ppl last week of Sept and decided to go all in. 

I had posted some of this on the Facebook mooney group but here's a little more since the setting is less personal. 

My wife and I were in Hawaii the first 2 weeks of Oct and while we were there, the mechanic at KSCA texts me about what is now our plane on EBay. He had seen the log books already and thought it was a good deal.  So we bid and at the last second didnt get the win.  I had talked with the seller that morning before bidding and texted him after i didnt win, and just asked him to think of us and our cash if the winner didnt work out.  He called a few days later and after a few calls, we end up in an agreement to buy his plane.  But we're halfway around the world in paradise and he wants paid. I coordinate thru the 6 hr time zone change a wire deposit to be sent and the seller agrees to fly the plane to its new home.  He gets there to collect the balance in a cashiers check one of my employees had ran to the field.  After a day in the courtesy car running around rural Sidney, my cfi flies him to KCMH to catch his commercial flight out.  

Incase anyone was wondering how to buy a plane sight unseen with no involvement from half way around the globe.  There it is.  Just need a few good men involved. 

Its in the shop for annual now.  Engine is good, just a few minor squaks. Airframe should be this coming week.  Someone on fb said they are keeping track of "deals" outcomes when bought this way. Ill keep an honest update as things happen.  Hoping this goes in the win column.  

Cant wait for training in my plane.  Want to be able to fly my family to ATL for thanksgiving.  

84925.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcome gents.  Roll of the dice, yes.  Im an impulisive guy and often go with my gut. It usually works out.  

I went to go see it for the first time today.  Really happy with my purchase!  Cant wait to start enjoying her.  We're calling it our Hawaiian cream puff.  

Took some pics of the panel just now.  Its a panel only an owner could love.  Thinking im going to have the shop install a 345 and 430w before i start using her and doing my instrument training.  My assumption is ill keep this plane for about 5 years so i dont want to go overboard on the panel.  Assuming i can recoupe the cost basis if i stay low key now.  

20171021_122409.jpg

20171021_122348.jpg

20171021_122353.jpg

20171021_122402.jpg

32 minutes ago, 201er said:

What was your reason for deciding to go Mooney?

2 things got me to Mooney.

1.  I wanted to go fast.  At first i was going to have my business finance a newer cirrus. The mechanic at KSCA easily talked me out of that idea and i decided to work with my personal cash.  So i started looking into the older classics.   Was between a c or e Mooney and an older 33 or 35 Bonanza.  The fuel economy pushed me to the Mooney.  

2.  Seeing how chrixxers plane handled his impact sealed the deal for me.  

Thanks all for welcoming me to the fam.

Edited by NJMac
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Nice to meet you here.  Love your panel. 

Thanks. My panel is actually an example of what can be done inexpensively if you take the time. I didn't pay retail for anything but it took almost a year to collect all the components either second hand, or as trade-in's, or close out sales.

• Like 1

Harley, 

You should see the glory of the M20E from inside the wing looking out!

201er posted pics from the M20E 'wake' today...

Mooneys are built strong. Built to last. And have delivered pilots un less-scathed under some very unusual circumstances...

Speed, efficiency and... (other important things)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1