Got me an F Model!

I did it and bought a 74 Executive last week. Its a really good plane and I am excited about flying it.

Since it is an "older" model I'll probably spend most of my MooneySpace time here but if you are interested I posted to the general board with a little more information about our trip home.

As you can imagine I am going to have a lot of questions coming up. I am getting used to the new handling characteristics and I have some bugs to work out of her. She hasn't flown much over the past few years. I put more hours already than she has had over the last two years.

I am looking forward to many years and bunches of trips with this plane. It's great!

This forum has already been a huge help to me. Thank you all.

Gerbil

20171008_163111 (1).jpg

• Like 7

Congratulations!!!!

Now go fly!!  Make sure you fly the numbers on downwind, base, and final - worst thing you can do is land too fast - she'll operate just fine in slow flight - stay coordinated - go up with an experienced Mooney instructor.  Every landing is a go around and if you land, well, bonus.  Once you get proficient you can operate a Mooney out of a 2000 foot strip.  Don't try that until you know your airplane well.

Good luck - go fly - welcome aboard, and there are no stupid questions - this community is here to assist.

My first Mooney was a 1967 M20F.  Flew it for about 500 hours.  Loved it.

If you've already flown her more than she did over the last two years - there will be some unexpected maintenance.  That's okay and take care of it.  It'll work itself out over the first few years with deferred maintenance getting fixed up.  Great plane.

Now go fly!

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, N803RM said:

Nice, looks great.  More details and pictures please.

Ron

OK, standard stuff.....

1974 M20F - injected 200hp, electric gear and flaps standard.

This plane has a white and blue interior including a white panel which I am actually in love with. To me it just looks sharp. 

She is fully IFR ready with a VOR/COM and garmin 300xl. 

Mods include flap gap seals, 1piece belly, oil cooler relocation, cowl filler, and the brake caliper flip. Of course she has a Hartzell 3 blade prop too.

I bought her in Colorado Springs two weeks ago. After the business was completed my wife and I started the ferry flight by going south to Clovis New Mexico to visit a friend. The next day we made a leg from Clovis to Memphis TN. That was the first real demonstration of the plane's performance and I was flying with the power dialed back a bit. We stayed overnight at Memphis and took in some food, music and tourist traps. We wanted to make a mini vacation out of this so the overnight in Memphis was in order along with a trip through Graceland. 

After Graceland we make a quick hop to Sikeston MO for thrown rolls at dinner. After that we made the final leg home and put her in at Greene county. It only took about 2.5 hours... Amazing! Eventually, a few days later I moved her to her new hangar at New Carlisle.

I'll load some more pictures soon.

Gerbil

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seth said:

Congratulations!!!!

Now go fly!!  Make sure you fly the numbers on downwind, base, and final - worst thing you can do is land too fast - she'll operate just fine in slow flight - stay coordinated - go up with an experienced Mooney instructor.  Every landing is a go around and if you land, well, bonus.  Once you get proficient you can operate a Mooney out of a 2000 foot strip.  Don't try that until you know your airplane well.

Good luck - go fly - welcome aboard, and there are no stupid questions - this community is here to assist.

My first Mooney was a 1967 M20F.  Flew it for about 500 hours.  Loved it.

If you've already flown her more than she did over the last two years - there will be some unexpected maintenance.  That's okay and take care of it.  It'll work itself out over the first few years with deferred maintenance getting fixed up.  Great plane.

Now go fly!

-Seth

Thanks Seth. Our trip home followed by some landing practice at a county airport set me up pretty good. A 2000 foot strip better not be trouble for me.... That's exactly how long the runway is at my home field where I keep her. So far no sweat.

No problem with encouragement to go fly. We are taking her to breakfast tomorrow morning and I have two work trips scheduled here soon. 

I've already got some of the bugs worked out. Overall the plane is in good shape. We'll see what turns up on the first annual though.

Gerbil