I did it... bought me a Mooney!

Gerbil

Hello folks,

After much planning and some shopping around I bought a nice 74 Executive a week and a half ago. We bought it from a gentleman in Colorado Springs and flew it hope to Dayton over two days taking the opportunity to do some sight seeing along the way. It was like a mini vacation and we started to get to know the airplane.

It is pretty amazing. When I was doing my research I was looking at speed numbers, weights, fuel capacity, range and things like that. Now that I am starting to plan and execute flights the capability of this plane is just fantastic. I just transitioned from a Cessna 175 which was a pretty good traveler but this Mooney is great!

It feels good that my research paid off. I have a fully IFR outfitted traveling machine that makes good time and uses relatively little fuel to do it. I'm excited!

Gerbil

20171008_163111 (1).jpg

• Like 18

Congrats!

i bought an Executive just under a year ago - great frame. I now upgraded to a K because the F had old avionics in it and wanted someone else to install. You'll love it transitioning from the Cessna.

7 hours ago, Gerbil said:

Hello folks,

After much planning and some shopping around I bought a nice 74 Executive a week and a half ago. We bought it from a gentleman in Colorado Springs and flew it hope to Dayton over two days taking the opportunity to do some sight seeing along the way. It was like a mini vacation and we started to get to know the airplane.

It is pretty amazing. When I was doing my research I was looking at speed numbers, weights, fuel capacity, range and things like that. Now that I am starting to plan and execute flights the capability of this plane is just fantastic. I just transitioned from a Cessna 175 which was a pretty good traveler but this Mooney is great!

It feels good that my research paid off. I have a fully IFR outfitted traveling machine that makes good time and uses relatively little fuel to do it. I'm excited!

Gerbil

20171008_163111 (1).jpg

Fantastic! Do yourself a favor and spend a little time with Karl Ludolph, also based at Xenia. He will teach you how to really and properly fly that plane!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MB65E said:

Neat! Did your 175 still have the go-300?

Thats a great airplane. My grandpa has a 59. Poor mans 182!! It would walk away from late mode 200k 172's. 

Enjoy your new machine!! 

-Matt

Yes she still had the GO-300 in there. Great flying plane and I did a lot of traveling and photo work with it. I could get it to do about anything I wanted it to except 150knots.

Now ere is a guy in Oklahoma who is really enjoying her.

Gerbil

17 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Fantastic! Do yourself a favor and spend a little time with Karl Ludolph, also based at Xenia. He will teach you how to really and properly fly that plane!

I'll have to ask around and look him up. I actually keep this Mooney at New Carlisle though.

Gerbil

Edited by Gerbil

Thank you all for the nice replays and compliments. 

I did a lot of research to arrive at the decision to get a Mooney and so far I am really pleased with how well it is working out. So far it feels like I made a good choice.

Gerbil

10 hours ago, Gerbil said:

I'll have to ask around and look him up. I actually keep this Mooney at New Carlisle though.

Gerbil

Small world!  Congrats on your new plane.  My wife and I just got an E. Being from Troy, I actually emailed Colleen about keeping our plane at your field and the impression I took away from her emails was that i had to audition and prove mtself to be part of your club there. We choose to base as Sidney after those emails.  

13 hours ago, NJMac said:

Small world!  Congrats on your new plane.  My wife and I just got an E. Being from Troy, I actually emailed Colleen about keeping our plane at your field and the impression I took away from her emails was that i had to audition and prove mtself to be part of your club there. We choose to base as Sidney after those emails.  

Its not that bad. We have a pretty nice airport and a good membership base. We do require new members to be sponsored, go through a probationary period and then vote on their membership. Its actually a good thing and not as inconvenient as it sounds. The hard part is getting a hangar. We are scant on hangar space right now.

I hope you like your E. (I responded to your other thread) So far I am really impressed with how my F travels. Maybe I'll see you around.

Gerbil

• Like 1