AD and Maintenance Tracking

Cam

Hi All,

So I just went through an exercise in taking my new (to me) mooney and reviewing all the logs for AD compliance as well as all the other maintenance items such as ELT batteries, VOR checks, Transponder, etc. I wanted to do this to convince myself that everything was ok. I found 1 AD that was past due (a month) and one that was due in 11 hours and then need to check the new AmeriKing ELT AD when I get out to the hanger because I could find no where in the logs where it noted what kind of ELT was installed. 

All of that aside, I was wondering what the best way was for a pilot to track all of that. I've looked at ADLOG and that looks good but it just seems like a fancy filing system. I checked out TData - an application for mechanics but they want something between $300-$700 a year. There is Zook Aviation and their product "AD Toolbox" but they want about $50/month. I also found Quick Aviation but wasn't able to find out anything from their website really. (It kind of looked abandoned). 

I find it hard to believe that there is not a simple online application that would do this for you (at a reasonable cost). I was wondering what other's experience was?  Anything that you have discovered that has helped you other folk keep track of ADs, maintenance periods, etc.? 

Cheers

Cam

I have a binder where I have a list of all ADs in the front. I add new pages when necessary. The list has a place to reference the compliance date in the log books. I put printed copies of all the ADs in the binder so if there is an inspector who disagrees about an AD we can look it up and make sure.

Yes, that seems to be the way most people do it. I did find a 'summary' sheet of all the AD's that had been complied with for the plane. That was further split out into Airframe, Engine, Prop and Appliance ADs which I thought was good of him. But there were a couple of problems with it;

1. It was from 2007. :(

2. When I got the 'Current AD' List from the FAA website for my "Mooney M20G" , the list contained several that were from before 2007 and where not on the summary list. It turned out that those were all not applicable due to PN or model number or something like that, but it was a pain to go through and open each AD, open the pdf, read the section on applicability,  Find in the log or somewhere what the PN or identifying number was and then figure out based on the PN or whatever, that this AD does not apply. THEN - I would guess that I need to add a new sheet and list all the ones that did not apply so the next person who needs to go through this doesn't waste time. It's almost as if you have to have a way to check every single AD as applicable or not, but once an AD could be remotely applicable, it becomes a pain to go in and figure it out. Lesson learned for me is to keep a detailed list of all equipment, Serial Numbers, Part Numbers, Where you got it, Who has repaired it, etc. 

3. More on the detailed list .... It would be nice if you could search or filter the AD list based on Part number or Serial Number etc. For example, Lycoming had a "Current AD" that applied to a certain type of Cylinder as well as a specific series of Serial Numbers within that type (Manufacturer). Luckily, I found some yellow tags at the bottom of the log box that had the information from the most recent rebuild and could confirm that the AD did not apply. That one would have been a pain to confirm without those!

I'm a software guy and the whole process seems .... manual.;) ... and a huge time suck when I could be out flying!

Thoughts? 

Cheers

Cam

There are AD services that you can subscribe to that do all that for you. A lot of mechanics subscribe to them. But they are not free. Maybe someday the FAA will upgrade their search to do that, but I think they don't want the liability of guaranteeing that they are providing complete coverage.

An accurate list of the installed equipment as you've stated as well as a list of AD's and compliance will save you money at every annual.  It's in your financial interest to keep it accurate.

Clarence

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

ADlog is very affordable to keep you upto date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Big fan of ADLOG for many years. Agree that it's just a fancy filing system, but it's pretty inexpensive (0.04 AMU) and I much prefer the format to the factory logs. Their annual summary is nice, and they always beat the FAA to my mailbox when a new AD is issued. 

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

An accurate list of the installed equipment as you've stated as well as a list of AD's and compliance will save you money at every annual.  It's in your financial interest to keep it accurate.

Clarence

Your lost should include all ADs, and mark "N/A by serial #" where needed. Update it periodically. 

Yeah, I've seen an ADLOG log and it looked very organized. Being a software guy I was hoping that there was something online that I could enter all the serial numbers, part numbers, manufacturers, etc and have it spit out a report. It just strikes me that this is just data. Maybe I'll take a look at it and maybe see how hard it would be. (Probably extremely, which is why no one has done it! :) . ) Not going flying today anyway ....

KSLC 201854Z 34017G28KT 5SM HZ FEW025 SCT050 OVC110 13/00 A2979 RMK AO2 PK WND 28040/1801 WSHFT 1741 SLP051 VIRGA OHD AND SW-NW SH DSNT SW-NW T01330000

• Like 1

Getting your plane, engine, prop and avionics in the system to keep up with ADs is not too bad a job. But do you really go back and find serial numbers on rods, pistons, fuel pumps, alternators, etc., etc. to watch our for ADs affecting them.

Just now, Cam said:

.... in "the system"  - do you mean ADLOG?

I was speaking more in general terms. "The system" being your method of keeping up what parts in your plane which may be affected by an AD. However, I assume that ADLOG has to have some way of knowing what parts you have also.

The forms are nice, but the real value is in keeping up with new AD's that may affect not just airframe or engine but any appliance as well. That's a lot to keep up with or search for. Well worth the $40 a year renewal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that many of us use a mechanic with an Adlog account...

It is great if you have the skills to track this with enough detail.  

Just be really eyes open when changing mechanics to make sure they don't have to start over with the search.  That could take many hours of time if not documented properly.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I use Tdata's IA Approach basic. It's not cheap, but I maintain a fleet of 8, so it's very helpful. 

I don't make any claims that it's the best. In fact, it's a little old-school clunky, but it works and produces very easy to understand, professional looking AD sign off sheets in chronological order, that I place in an organized binder.  About 10 AD's per page. That binder contains Tabs for airframe, each engine, each associated accessory and a tab for misc related AD's.

I've discovered that during aircraft sale, the AD research is super quick, as it's already self evident. I update the sign-off each year, or as needed. I generally need to update only the top sheet in each section. 

One heck of a lot easier than searching through the logs for random sign offs.