MT 4 Blade Pirep

Txbyker

I recently swapped out my Hartzell prop for the MT composite 4 blade and have had a chance to fly it a bit and thought I would post a report on what I have observed. Special thanks to Erik B. and Scott S. who provided me counseling on their experiences.  By the way, my Hartzell is listed for sale with a complete overhaul.

Buying Process - I ordered mine from Flight Resources.  The delivery took 4 weeks, 1/2 down up front and 1/2 when it ships from Germany.  You must have the prop shipped to a MT authorized prop shop for final assembly.  I had mine shipped to Jordan Propeller in San Antonio.  From there, the prop shop can deliver the prop to your A&P for installation and balance.  It is recommended that you have the prop balanced.  The spinner is a composite material and I had mine painted Matterhorn White to match the plane.  Years ago most piston props were delivered with stainless leading edges.  The restrictions to paint choices in Germany had many MT props shedding paint.  The turbine application is for a nickel leading edge which wraps around longer and covers more of the prop.  Also the paint formula has been modified and is much better in regards to wear and tear than the earlier props. Today, most pistons (like mine) have nickel edges and the new paint formula.

Sound and Ergonomics - as mentioned elsewhere the prop is very quiet and smooth.  It is German so I will say it is similar to driving a German engineered car.  There is a certain smoothness and solid feel that I seem to get in the Mooney.  Not to take anything away from other manufacturers but the prop does seem to maintain tight tolerances that are felt in the plane.  Taxi, cruise and all aspects of flight seem to be much more quiet.

Performance- I have one trip of 4 hours each way to pirep the prop. Takeoff performance is better although I do not have the hard data.  The transfer of power from your power adjustments is instantaneous it feels.  Moving to full throttle has no spool up time, its just gets there.  Same for power reductions.  No over speed conditions.  I am still trying to get before and after take off distances and climb.  Today I was climbing at 1100 fpm at 120 knots and 2500 rpm.  I saw 700 fpm at 145 kts, 2500 rpm in a cruise climb. 

In cruise it is hard to tell but I think it may be the same speeds.  I have logged many speeds and at some settings I was a knot faster but at others I was equal to the Hartzell.  I do not feel I lost any speed with the 4 blades.  

9000 ft, LOP -30, 12C, 21.6MP 2450rpm 12.9 gph at 171kts

9000 ft, ROP +100 12C 21.7MP 2450rpm 17.2gph at 177kts

8000 ft LOP -40 11C 22.5MP 2450rpm 13.6gph at 172kts

8000 ft ROP +100 11C 22.6MP 2450rpm 17.8gph at 176kts

I am still getting used to landings.  I have to carry a bit more power now to maintain 80kts on final.  It used to be 12-13" and now it is over 13".  The prop does seem to have a kind of braking effect when you twist it to the stops.  I slow down very quickly but if you twist it to the stops while flaring it will stop flying so a lot of the float has been eliminated.

Weight and Balance - Empty weight dropped around 30lbs and CG moved about 1.25" aft.  (I left my POH in the hangar so don't quote me on those numbers)

I put together a video to show the sound inside and out and also the look.  Be gentle with me, I am not a producer.

Russ

Russ  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I bet you had a tiny bit but not more improvement since you already had a pretty aerodynamically modern prop.

As for my upgrade to the MT 4 blade, I feel I got a bit more than a tiny bit - but I would say 2-3kts?  Since I had a less good prop initially - the McCauley 3 blade that comes standard with the rocket is an old school round tip prop designed in the 1960s, as opposed to a modern scimitar design, as I now have in the MT.  So I sped up a bit even though otherwise one would expect more blades is slower.  Plus I lost 38lbs off the nose I think, so the rearward move of CG helps speed too.

Your bird looks MARVELOUS Russ.

M20Doc I think the blood is rushing to your airplane's head.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

Great Pirep Russ. And you're video skills are better than you give yourself credit for :)

The MT was on my wishlist for this year but got bumped by the WAAS/ADS-B upgrade. We'll take another look at the finances next year around birthday time ;)

Robert

• Like 1

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

I think you'd need more power than 180hp to swing 4 blades

Not necessarily - if the blades have less area than the 300hp prop set.  So image thinner blades and shorter blades (fantastic ground clearance) and you could have 4 on a 180 engine

Great video Pirep, Russ!

Super smooooth landing using the HUD AOAi.

Wondering How The Low inertia prop may account for the higher power setting during the landing...? If at all...

The MT wasn't available when I bought my Hartzell many years ago...missed by a few months..,

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Really nice... sad not available for the older mooneys...

They have one available for the 180 HP Aviat Husky, and for a 180HP Piper Arrow, I wonder if you could get a field approval?

Clarence 

Edited by M20Doc

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Wondering How The Low inertia prop may account for the higher power setting during the landing...? If at all...

I think it’s the added drag / reduced glide (extra blade) that act like a speed brake and require more power to keep the same descent rate?

@Txbyker Did you try any higher rpm runs 2550 in cruise or 2700 in climb out?

What's your mini hud? A cloud sight? 

Great video!

I've flown behind and worked on MT's.  I wish their paint was better but I've never had an issue other than paint and a little blade rock. 

But-Why do they whistle? The Germans haven't told me yet!  

No hub issues, Grease/oil issues, or ADs!! 

Not true with other manufactures. 

-Matt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MB65E said:

What's your mini hud? A cloud sight? 

Great video!

I've flown behind and worked on MT's.  I wish their paint was better but I've never had an issue other than paint and a little blade rock. 

But-Why do they whistle? The Germans haven't told me yet!  

No hub issues, Grease/oil issues, or ADs!! 

Not true with other manufactures. 

-Matt

Mini HUD is an Alpha AOA.

Wow, I'm surprised everyone likes a 4 blade prop on a 6 cylinder engine. There's been so many saying bad things about 3 bladed props on 4 bangers, that the prop blades should be an even multiple of the cylinders for balance, etc., etc.

I agree it looks good, and probably climbs excellently. But I'm also pretty sure that my C isn't the best plane to put one on . . . Although the Hartzell 3-blade works well.

located on west coast, ready to convert my 1999 ovation to 310 hp and install a new prop, where can info be obtained on mt. prop.  composite prop looks great, my  Mooney has 1000 hrs on engine with a new set of contiental cylinders assy, hartzel prop is ready for overhaul, looks like a good time to change ,

Questions are where can info  on stc for conversion to 310hp be found , is it two separate items paper work and governor with prop change, looks like mooney has the stc and is the mt prop approved for ovation, will top speed improve, what are the differences between hartzel up grade prop (tbo) vs MT prop 

6 minutes ago, flysamo said:

located on west coast, ready to convert my 1999 ovation to 310 hp and install a new prop, where can info be obtained on mt. prop.  composite prop looks great, my  Mooney has 1000 hrs on engine with a new set of contiental cylinders assy, hartzel prop is ready for overhaul, looks like a good time to change ,

Questions are where can info  on stc for conversion to 310hp be found , is it two separate items paper work and governor with prop change, looks like mooney has the stc and is the mt prop approved for ovation, will top speed improve, what are the differences between hartzel up grade prop (tbo) vs MT prop 

The 310 stc is available through you MSC for around 5k. You will need a different governor and some changes to the fuel flow. Hartzell has a thin blade unit that is used on the acclaim s that is pretty efficient. Not familiar with the MT or if it’s FIKI certified if that’s an issue for you.  Other probably know a lot more than I do.

3 hours ago, flysamo said:

Google... MT's web site... usual places