My Dream Gadget Just released - Garmin G500 TXi

JohnB

I'd assume the VS and Altitude is coming from the G500 Txi via the GAD 43e.

"Altitude Preselector with Collins APS-65; KAP/KFC 150; KFC 275/325; S-TEC 55X, 60-2, 65, PSS. (KFC 200 expected 2nd quarter 2013.)

Vertical Speed Controller with KAP/KFC 150; KFC 275/325; S-TEC 55X, 60-2 65, PSS"

from the GAD 43e page: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/62760#additional

On 5/14/2018 at 9:35 PM, carusoam said:

The old BK system for selecting altitude and VS seems equally complex... with the KAP150, I use six button pushes to set a 500fpm descent... then wonder for a bit if it understands what I want, or if I understand what I did...  

There must be a more simple way for starting the descent... 

So, what happens when one selects the down rocker on the flight computer with the PFD's? I would think holding the rocker down would allow for a rapid fire controller direction for a 500fpm descent with the right hand. The left hand could switch the heading mode and twist the bug if there is a simultaneous heading change. If not the left hand can start to dial in the flight plan on the iPad on the yoke or the GTN while you lay across your passenger's lap :wub:. Once the plan is dialed in... can you not release the down rocker and let the avionics take over? 

Pardon my ignorance, as I don't have a fancy panel yet... Although, I'm getting a G5 put in and moving the KAP-150's KG-258 to the turn coordinator spot in two weeks.  

Edited by jonhop

3 hours ago, jonhop said:

So, what happens when one selects the down rocker on the flight computer with the PFD's? I would think holding the rocker down would allow for a rapid fire controller direction for a 500fpm descent with the right hand. The left hand could switch the heading mode and twist the bug if there is a simultaneous heading change. If not the left hand can start to dial in the flight plan on the iPad on the yoke or the GTN while you lay across your passenger's lap :wub:. Once the plan is dialed in... can you not release the down rocker and let the avionics take over? 

Pardon my ignorance, as I don't have a fancy panel yet... Although, I'm getting a G5 put in and moving the KAP-150's KG-258 to the turn coordinator spot in two weeks.  

The rocker switch is for fine tuning altitude.

I fly a KFC150 and have the altitude pre-select as well. It takes four actions to set the 500 ft/min descent at most. But usually its less than that. 

Once I'm at cruise altitude, I anticipate the first descent coming up, even if its a couple of hours away, and dial it in. Set the expected altitude and the descent rate desired. Then arm it and leave it alone. When ATC instructs you to start the descent, it takes one single button push, and you're on you're way down. Never mind if you had 6000 as the pre-select in the box and ATC just told you to descend and maintain 8000. Push the button anyway. Now you're started down. Next, change the altitude pre-select to 8000. You'll pull up at 8000. But most likely ATC will give you lower before you reach it anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The rocker switch is for fine tuning altitude.

I fly a KFC150 and have the altitude pre-select as well. It takes four actions to set the 500 ft/min descent at most. But usually its less than that. 

Once I'm at cruise altitude, I anticipate the first descent coming up, even if its a couple of hours away, and dial it in. Set the expected altitude and the descent rate desired. Then arm it and leave it alone. When ATC instructs you to start the descent, it takes one single button push, and you're on you're way down. Never mind if you had 6000 as the pre-select in the box and ATC just told you to descend and maintain 8000. Push the button anyway. Now you're started down. Next, change the altitude pre-select to 8000. You'll pull up at 8000. But most likely ATC will give you lower before you reach it anyway.

The procedure @gsxrpilot describes is one I hear used for pilots flying in the "O2 required" altitudes as well. If things start getting hypoxic, one button push can get the plane down to the altitude set in the pre-select and hopefully allow the pilot to regain consciousness or a better handle on their faculties before bad things happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Set the expected altitude and the descent rate desired. Then arm it and leave it alone.

It’s the same thing that I do. Why is your go-to decent rate? Is is different if you are in the FLs than let’s say at 12,000?

• Like 1

Just now, Bryan said:

It’s the same thing that I do. Why is your go-to decent rate? Is is different if you are in the FLs than let’s say at 12,000?

Yes. If I'm cruising at a "safe" altitude such as 12,000, I'll have my pre-select set at 500 ft/min down. But when I'm in the FL's above 180, I have it set at 1000 ft/min down.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jonhop said:

Note: KAP altitude rocker switch operates with two different modes... depending on the Alt button being lit or not...

I believe... un-light the alt button, push the rocker down repeatedly, 100fpm for each push... (?)

practice with gentle descents first...  a fast descent might also get some overshoot to go with it...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1